motorcycle tent trailers

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by roadhamr, Oct 5, 2010.

1. roadhamr

roadhamr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have been considering the purchase of a motorcycle tent trailer. i really like the leisure lite because it is made in Canada and it seems like the best design and it sets up in 6 seconds. i have seen one in the flesh and seen it set up and take down and it is really that fast. anyone have any experiences with these units bad or good or any other units you feel i should have a closer look at? thanks
  2. TripodTriple

TripodTriple Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back in the late 90's I had a Leesure Lite. It was the 48" wide model vs. the 54". Pulled it with a 1500 Wing and had no problems with the way it handled. I bought a cooler to mount on the hitch, took the measurements from the cooler and the mfr. built a rack/frame to set it on.

Before buying it I did a lot of research on many different makes. What I liked was the fact that it opened to the rear and you had a floor to put belongings on inside and a place to stand while dressing. Along with all that was the fact it didn't weigh as much as some others out there. As well it was quick to set up. Simply unhook, drop the stabilizer legs, unlatch the lid and flip it open. Fold the front inside canvas support ahead, go inside and raise the rear canvas support, turn two set screws and voila, it's ready to move in. Set it up in the dark, while it was raining, in about three minutes. The girlie's appreciate getting out of the elements quickly, when necessary. :wink:

So for me it was a good investment, for that style of travelling. As well they were price competitive and I could load it at the factory on my pickup 400 miles from home. I also purchased the awning option, which again is nice in bad weather. There is room enough inside for all kinds of gear, so you can pack lots more stuff that you may not use:D If you want to cook on your own you have the space for the equipment.

The only downside was that the 48" was maybe a little narrow for a bed, but it sure pulled nice and really extended very little sideways beyond the bike mirrors. I sold it to a a guy who was obviously a healthy eater and his wife was a little larger also. I never heard how that all worked out and maybe that's too much info.:lol3

To summarize, I would buy one again. Quality and workmanship seemed very good. I would also recommend getting the vinyl cover option. It has a large pocket on top to slide a few things into, like your chairs, etc.

http://www.leesurelite.com/
  3. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    Two friends had one and spoke very highly of it. One towed it behind a BMW RT with no issues and was easy to do. I had the opportunity to see it set-up and was really impressed with how quick it went up and the space available. The other, towed it behind his Jeep and was very happy with it.
  4. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    yeah i havent heard anything bad except that it is the most expensive tent trailer for bikes on the market. there are cheaper ones but i dontlike how complicated the set up is. if i go on a 10 day bike tour and do say 500 to 800 kms a day some walking around ect... i dont want to spend 20 to 30 mins setting up my camper and arguing with my wife! because you know the more complicated it is it will require 2 people and that will be a powder keg potential for sure!
  5. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    I have done some research but i know there is always new info out there. does anyone know of any other motorcycle tent trailer that sets up as smoothly and as quickly? maybe there are some alternatives out there i have not yet investigated. thanks
  6. StevieMac

StevieMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The leisure lite is a nice trailer. I know a number of people that have them and they are all very happy with them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I chose not to go that route though as I don't like how the luggage gets stored on top of the bed and has to be moved so you can sleep. We have an Aspen Classic http://www.trailmasterinc.com/aspclassic/aspclassic.html<o:p></o:p>
    The Aspen stores all your luggage under the bed and it's completely accessible when the trailer is setup or folded down. To me this a preferable design and we've very happy with ours. We've towed it about 45,000 km and have spent a lot of night in it. <o:p></o:p>
  7. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    how long does it take for you to set up your aspen?
  8. StevieMac

StevieMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a few minutes. I takes me longer to put the 4 jack stands down and get it level than it does to fold out the tent. The LL is quicker but not by a lot. if it's raining we can have it unhooked from the bike, setup and be inside within 5 minutes easy, AND we won't have to move anything off the bed to lay down.
  9. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    i have taken another look at the aspen and i dont like that it doesnt have a hard top and a hard floor to stand on. i like it's layout and set up seems quick i just realy like the hard top and floor on the lee-sure lite. i know you can get a hard top option but i like the extraspace for gear on the top and it's also Canadian made. that counts for something to me as well. thanks for the suggestion and it was good to have another look at the aspen!
  10. GSA GIRL

GSA GIRL Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 2013 Leesure Lite Excel myself. I'm getting to Old to Sleep on the ground. The bike should handle just as well with a trailer as it does with all of the $itt I pile on the Back Seat.
    brstar likes this.
  11. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread and I did a search on the Leesure Lite Excel.

Nice camper! A modern version of my old one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    A couple different models in the BMWMOA fleamarket, I hate sleeping on the ground also but not that much.DB
  13. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    278-lbs, plus all your stuff. You will know it's back there.

My LeMans does much better with the trailer than it does with a passenger and all the gear piled on the bike, but my fully loaded trailer only weighs 150-lbs +/-.
  14. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats the thing I've wondering how well does it pull with a sidecar setup..My wife has been after me too look at one..I've been a tent camper..But now with a fake knee & Arthirst some days it would be nice to get completely off the ground.Every now & then they do pop up used..I like to here from someone who pulls one...
  15. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    I've had this bunkhouse for about 10 years, pulled with a few solo Kbikes and now with the rig. No problems pulling with the rig, the left tire is in the track of the bike wheels. It only adds a bit to the pendulum effect of the hack. Wife & I did 3000 mile in 3 weeks last summer. Sets up in about 5 minutes, takes about 10 to take down, has access to cargo whether set up or folded down. Very important to remember not to overload it! Having lots of room doesn't mean you have to fill it all up! Sorry I don't have any pics of it set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PhoenixGirl63 likes this.
  16. jacoba331

jacoba331 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should just get a car dude! Haha
  17. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Really?!
    Tell you what :asshat , when your beloved spouse become physically unable to ride on the back of a bike, but will travel in a sidecar to continue to enjoy the motorcycle experience with you, come talk to me.
    Otherwise, take your noob ass off to a corner and STFU! :ddog
    stromsurfer and moffit virtue like this.
  18. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Well said Bob !!!! DB
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The guy just totaled his 1200GSA (solo) last week so apparently this is how he's amusing himself. :huh
  20. airspro

airspro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    plus 1