Power Controller

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by motomandan, Nov 30, 2012.

1. motomandan

motomandan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received a "Power Controller" from "Hightechkoonass" in the vendor section and couldnt be happier! After a quick install on my 2012 R1200GS. I took it for a ride. No more snatchy throttle, smoother idle, no surging at cruise speeds. Almost eliminated the decel popping entirely. Excellent build quality. PROMPT DELIVERY!. When I receive the one I ordered from "Poolside" I will do a complete comparison and writeup.
  2. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, what tests could you make to compare the two?

I ask because among all the vendors there are no specific measurement of the effect they have (and I own one of them and have checked another). The vendors all indicate that the air temperature drops, but they all seem say that the effect on performance can't be measured by an instrument.
  3. motomandan

Oddometer:
    What I would like to compare is Quality of build and materials. I would also like to see if they have the same effect on the motorcycle when installed. I will probably run each over a 30 period for the same mileage interval. Keeping note of changes i.e: stumbling , hesitation , surging, fuel economy. After 60 days I will compare my notes!
  4. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, what you talkin' bout Wilson??? Is that a cross between a Power Commander and a Performance Controller?
  5. motomandan

Oddometer:
  6. motomandan

Oddometer:
    Rode more this evening. Great product!
  7. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've made dozens of test runs and measurements on my 1150 with test instruments attached you can see many of them in this long thread, Motronic with Wideband O2 Sensor. One of the tests I made while Open Loop shows the improved mixture obtained by adding an IAT reducer (see graph below). It really shifted the Air Temperature seen by the Motronic and that did richen the mixture. However, after I reattached the O2 sensor, even measuring the Open Loop transients (acceleration enrichment) I could not measure any difference after I rode the bike for a couple hours (see the second graphs in the link).

So my question is, what test could I devise or what measurement could I make that would show an effect after I'd ridden with the O2 sensor connected. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
  8. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmmm......it appears we have a conundrum here.

:lurk

:hmmmmm
  9. Ayrshire Bull

Ayrshire Bull why the hell not?

Oddometer:
    just get out and ride the f*&%ing thing :lol3
  10. motomandan

Oddometer:
    Gonna ride a couple hundred miles tomorrow. I will report on if the Power contoller effects the fuel economy
  11. Ayrshire Bull

Ayrshire Bull why the hell not?

Oddometer:
    have fun :D - and I'd be keen to hear about smoothness - especially the low speed stuff (please) cheers - D
  12. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Kewl! Looking forward to your test!:D
  13. Alkinoos

Alkinoos n00b

Oddometer:
    Some time ago I had installed the performance controller to my R1200GS and I also installed a wideband commander to check how it works.
    I wasn't happy with it.
    The adjustments where primitive.

I've sold it and I bought a rapid bike 3 and a pair of O2 eliminators.
    It is ages beyond performance controller.

P.S sorry for my English.
  14. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to hear what you come up with. In order to have a lasting effect, you have to believe that IAT errors (or alterations) are not compensated by your motorcycle's Closed Loop Adaptation-Values function.
  15. motomandan

Oddometer:
    Rode 294 miles yesterday. Mostly street but about 9 miles gravel . Bike was much smoother at low speed. Surging when slow speed downshifting all but eliminated. Gas mileage was unchanged. I let a friend who has ridden my bike before ride it. I had not told him I had done anything to it. He got off the bike and said "wow it is much smoother now that it is broke in. It doesnt stumble anymore at low speeds" . I then told him I had installed the "Power Contoller" . Remember this or any of the others like it are not to be confused with a fuel management system like a "Power Commander" . These are designed to smooth out low end fuel delivery issues only.