MidTN@LBL.ride May 3-5, 2013

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by sandalscout, Feb 1, 2013.

1. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    It's TIME!

What: MidTN@LBL.ride
    Where: Land Between The Lakes - Tennessee and Kentucky
    When: May 3-5 ** Please note date change due to turkey hunting season

As Troy originally posted here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20605942&postcount=9085

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a work in progress, but it has to start somewhere. The date fills a gap between March Moto Madness and FerrySTOC. Weather could be a bitch, but at least it won't be hot.

The plan - Ride LBL, moto-camp, engage in general jack-assary

...and so far, that's the whole plan!

BYOE - Bring Your Own EVERYTHING - I may bring a trailer full crap if it seems necessary, otherwise, I plan on riding in with everything I'll need for the weekend.

Camping - Energy Lake campground inside LBL - They are willing to bend the rules of 2 tents per site for riders coming in on a bike. Also, as a group, riders not camping at Energy Lake will be able to enter with no charge! That's huge! If you want to rough it somewhere else, stay in a motel, or ride in just for the day, you can hang with the group at the Base Camp.

Non Electric sites - $12 a night. There are 2 Electric sites in loop B, @ $24 a night. Everyone is responsible for there own expenses, remember, BYOE! If we can get 3-4 bikes at a site, that's $3 or $4 per rider each night.

Energy Lake campground is in Map 4 on the MVUM maps below. Here is a link to Google Maps as well.

Riding - Between TroyJ650, SandalScout, and Treemuncher, we should be able to lay out good routes for all bikes and riders. Hardcore off-road can be found at Turkey Bay, and there is enough pavement there and close by to keep the Road Boys happy. For everyone else, there is 120,000 acres of hills and hollers to explore with all DS and ADV bikes. It is a great place to learn DS and ADV riding since there is plenty of roads a car can safely travel. Then there are more challenging roads for the big ADV bikes. I have ridden there for a long time, and have not hit all the little roads LBL has to offer.

The hiking trails are strictly off limits, but Turkey Bay has enough challenges for anyone.

I've got some cool ideas for a scavenger hunt or poker run type event, but we'll see.

I feel like this has the potential to turn into something big, but also know it could be a lot of work. My intention is to invite anyone that wants to go, but with the understanding everyone is basically on there own. Traveling as a 20-30 person group would be a nightmare, but so could breaking down or getting lost if you are by yourself.

:ricky

Let's Ride!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy and I will be putting together a few D/S and street rides before the weekend of the event, and be able to share them before we head that way. I'll probably put them up on DualSportMaps.com also. I will also be putting together a list of waypoints for area restaurants, gas station, hotels, etc. We will be leading a few different rides, and encourage everyone to get out and explore on their own. It should be pretty easy to find a group you feel comfortable with, regardless of your style, skill level, bike, etc.

This is NOT a formal event, we see it simply as an excuse to get together and ride more of an area that we enjoy.

Check out LBL.org for some information about the area, things to see and do, and for MVUM Maps to get an idea of the area we will be riding in! The MVUM is important, as it has all of the roads that are legal for us to ride on within LBL mapped out.

"IN" list is now officially started to get a head count.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. TroyJ650
    2. sandalscout
    3. 2fast4u
    4. Miss 2fast4u
    5. streetndirt
    6. SloDon
    7. Workman
    8. tonusmaximus
    9. Wallachian Spikes
    10. Hayniac
    11. NSane1
    12. jclark83
    13. drm
    14. HappyCRNA
    15. Slopez22
    16. Rainman901
    17. Kev95GS
    18. crpntr
    19. KentuckyKLR
    20. bwbeck
    21. Brandon
    22. ride2little
    23. SScratch

CLICK HERE TO SEE ABOUT PREPLANNED ROUTES
  2. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pencil me in and cast my vote for the campground option.
  3. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    Cool on ya'll for hosting a ride !
    Hoping I can make it - will know later.

I vote for a campground. Easier + facilities :ostrich
  4. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    The showers and such will be nice, plus a convenient place to get supplies, etc. The only downside to a campground is that the the tent sites are fast come first served (close to the Spring Break time frame), and we can't make all the noise we want.
  5. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I will probably attend but, I don't have any camping gear. Does anyone have recomendations on a quality "adventure type" tent I can pick up between now & then, that will be ideal for motorcycle camping?

I like the idea of the camp ground too. Showers are very important to me & I take one once a week, whether I need it or not.
  6. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get something that stands on its own and has aluminum poles. Fiberglass poles break at the worst time. Also, make sure the rain fly covers the entire tent and has a vestibule. A 2 person tent sleeps one; I don't care how small you are.

This one would be ideal:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28005#
  7. Nsane1

Nsane1 nomad

Oddometer:
    This sounds awesome. All things said I plan on being there. Hit me up to go scout out some routes. I love riding down there. Me and a buddy back country'd off our bikes a couple times last year but I would've liked to have done it more often.
  8. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    I will take off work that friday so i can help out. I think this could turn into a great weekend.

My wife will hopefully attend also. I have her a bike now and she should be good to go by then.
  9. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Motorcycle Enthusiasts

Oddometer:
    Pencil me in as well. Depends on weather, family, job, church, ect...

I love LBL and the KY Lake area. I lived in western KY for a number of years. I have done the AMA dual sport ride numerous times. Here are the tracks from 2009
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820589

and a few pics from 2012
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825088

I like the BYOE option and the camping at Energy Lake or other campgrounds. I would probably ride in from Central KY on a DR650

Keep me updated

Thanks for organizing
  10. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Awesome, glad to see some "new guys" that I've not ridden with before!

Jeff, that's great, I hope she has a blast also.

Barry, I haven't even really had a great tent, so I can't help much there. THat one that threadkiller posted looks nice, and pretty affordable too. He's definitely right though, a two man tent for one person, especially with all of our bulky gear. When I used to hike, I normally just used an ultralight tarp, lately I've been hanging in my hammock.
  11. Nsane1

Nsane1 nomad

Oddometer:
    I really like my Kelty tent, but if I had it to do over again I would get a Hennessey hammock. Those things are amazing.
  12. ajones

ajones Left Blinker is ON

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun.:freaky
  13. Magic_Mike

Magic_Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ........I usually use single children sized tents to sleep because of their small packing size and cheap price....I didn't know I was that short :D
  14. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, just wanted to point out that we had to change the date of this due to turkey hunting season! The thread title will hopefully be updated soon (gotta find who can change it).

Hope you can still make it, and hope maybe some that couldn't can now.

MAY 3-5, 2013
  16. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Darn, sorry to hear that man!
  17. iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pack this, you're good for two nights if you can find some grass or a picnic table.

[​IMG]
  18. Nsane1

Nsane1 nomad

Oddometer:
    Scratch what I said, I don't know what I was thinking, supercross is March 3 not May. I'll be there.
  19. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    so when is it?
  20. Nsane1

Nsane1 nomad

Oddometer:
    May 3-5 its in the OP.