Belize and Guatemala

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Wolverine1305, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Wolverine1305

Wolverine1305 The english is hard

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, two friends and I are planning to ride to Belize and Guatemala, around the end of July, Well my friends are from Orizaba, Veracruz State, and you know, I live near from Toluca, Mexico state, so our plan is ride through Belice, entering for Chetumal to get to Tikal in Guatemala and after that go back by same route.
    We want to save money because we do not have a lot of money, we will go "al mochilazo" (with a little bit of money.)
    Could you give us some suggestions and advices about riding, eating, camping zones, cheap hotels, that are there?
    some advriders live near from our route to drink a beer? well just one beer jajajaja
    all the best...
    Fabian Diaz.

Hola a todos, dos amigos y yo estamos planeando viajar a Belice y Guatemala, a finales de julio, Bueno mis amigos son de Orizaba, Veracruz, y ustedes lo saben, yo vivo cerca de Toluca, Estado de México, por lo que nuestro plan es pasar por Belice, entrando por Chetumal para llegar a Tikal en Guatemala y luego volver por el mismo camino.
    Queremos ahorrar dinero, ya que no tenemos mucho dinero, vamos a ir "al mochilazo" (con un poco de dinero.)
    ¿Podrían darnos algunas sugerencias y consejos acerca de conducir en moto, comer, zonas de acampar, hoteles baratos,?
    algunos advriders viven cerca de nuestra ruta para tomar una cerveza? y sólo una cerveza jajajaja
    todo lo mejor ...
    Fabian Diaz.
  2. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hola Wolverine ,
    You have a good trip coming up but my question is ....
    Why do you want to visit Tikal as a side trip starting and returning to
    Belize?
    Maybe you have commitments that require your return to Belize or the Yucatan?
    If that is not the case maybe you will be interested to know that you can very easily also return to Mexico via quality paved highways through Guatemala by way of the El Ceibo border crossing and from there ride to Tenosique, TAB and home.
    By all means take the time to explore Belize down to Punta Gorda. You will notice that Belize can be fairly
    expensive for tourists.Guatemala can be much cheaper for hotels and food.
    By using the Guatemalan route you can thus make your pesos to better
    effect and avoid repeating the same roads and border crossings.
    Getting in to Belize is free but you will have to pay a tourist tax of 37.50 Belize dollars
    when you leave. So if you go out to Tikal you pay and when to return to Chetumal you will probably pay again! Once is enough !
    Also you MUST buy liability insurance for your bikes when you enter Belize.It costs 13 BZ$ per day but buying it for one week costs only 29BZ$
  3. 1upNORTH

1upNORTH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I doubt you'll land in San Pedro but if you do look up mayflower casita San Pedro, it's my moms b&b!
  4. Wolverine1305

Oddometer:
    Hey man¡ thank you very much for information, We did not know about to pay when to cross the border in Belize and insurance to the bikes. I have been talking with others riders (Guaterider, Nailit, Sara, 175, Andy) about to ride in Guatemala and they say same that you, surely we will go straight to Guate by Tenosique.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846264&page=14
  5. Wolverine1305

Oddometer:
    Where is San Pedro? in Guatemala? may be we land there.
    Thank you.
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Where is San Pedro?"
    Good question:D my road atlas for Mexico lists only about 53 towns with SP as
    Part of the name and there are many more too small to show up.And there are also many more SPs in C.A. too. Even Belize has its San Pedro Columbia in the Toledo district down south .

Wolverine , if you and your amigos are going into GT by way of Tenosique and El Ceibo here are a few pointers.
    That border is open from only between hours of 9 and 18 7 days a week .
    Tenosique is the last Mexican town with Pemex, hotels , restaurants so spend night there if you cannot make it to border the last 70 km before closing time.
    On the GT side in El Ceibo there are 3 basic hotels now ,plus food so you could overnight there.
    Camping is possible but you have to ask around to get permission from a property owner or at one of the ranchers along the road past town. But really with 3 or 4 guys
    sharing costs a hotel would be very cheap for you.
    Also hotels ,fuel, restaurants aplenty to be found in El Naranjo.
    Then 135 km paved highway to La Libertad and next hotels, so time your
    ride or seek a spot to camp at a ranch, there are no formal " campgrounds"
    along the way .
    From la Libertad it is only about 30 km to the big cluster of towns San Benito-Sta Elena-Flores
    Flores is on a little island , pretty place, muy turistico.
    Flores hotels cost more than those on mainland and I recommend
    Hotel Sa Nicte on Calle 2 in Sta Elena a block southwest off the
    causeway to Flores , an easy walk .
    You can tent camp in the Tikal Tourist Service area right by the ZA for
    Q50 per person . But you could also camp, or get a very economical and
    good hotel room at El REMATE , the village along the highway 30 km south
    of the TIKAL National Park entry gate where you need to pay the admission
    fee for the visit.

I hope I did not scare you away from considering a visit to Belize, it was just
    the idea to economize on your riding expenses while covering different
    roads. It would be a pity to retrace the same route back home when you have
    so much to explore.
  7. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola, cuando entro en Guatemala a través de Belice continúo en una hora y media para El Remate, que está en la parte inferior de la colina de Tikal y situado en el lago Petan Itzá. Muy hermoso y agradable, hoteles baratos. Flores en el otro extremo del lago es interesante también. Saludos
  8. Wolverine1305

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd and Eduardo

thank you for the information, it´s very useful for us
    All the best
    Gracias por la informacion, es muy util para nosotros
    Saludos.
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    He may have been referring to San Pedro town on Ambergris key
  10. 1upNORTH

1upNORTH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To clarify, yes, it is the town on Ambergris Caye in Belize. I didnt think about there being other San Pedro's
  11. Wolverine1305

Oddometer:
    hey Man¡ it looks a great place, thanks.