Clutch wear measurement

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Nigel Tailyour, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Nigel Tailyour

Nigel Tailyour Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to find out ( before it dies) if the clutch has wear?

I know that people predict the life of a clutch on R1150 / R1200 but this varies with riding style.

So before I replace a good clutch, does anyone know if it can be measured without stripping the clutch?

Thanks
  2. jdbalt

jdbalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My clutch slipped a couple of times accelerating hard onto a highway. I only have 14500 miles. I was stunned. After consulting here and talking to a couple of dealers I took it to a BMW shop (Bob's in Maryland that I trust very much.) and a technician test drove the bike. He was unable to get any slip. So I scratched my head and am still riding.

The bad news is the only way to really look at the clutch is the split the bike in half. Which requires significant time, or $$$$$. If you get to the clutch to inspect it, you might as well replace it. I do not have any positive thoughts on this subject...... BTW I have a 2010 R1200 GS.
  3. Jorik

Jorik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did it on R1200GS 2005. After removing starter you can measure clutch wear with 5mm angle hex wrench or piece plasticine. Min thickness for R1200 is 4.4-4.6mm.

Good luck.
  4. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    That's the way to do it.
    It won't give you an exact thickness but near enough to know what's going on.
    Helps if you can strap the clutch lever so the clutch is not engaged.
  5. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Same for 1150, pull starter for access, specs I don't have handy.
  6. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Clutch disk thickness wear limit for the '01 GS is listed at 4.8mm.
  7. Nigel Tailyour

Oddometer:
    You guys are great! Many thanks for the method and the plasticine idea too. Bike is stripped in the garage at the moment so I will get on with it.

I have done two cluch changes in the past and it really does take time but not dollars.
    I have a manual but I also take photos as I go along so I can remember which bit goes where.

I also put each group of bolts or screws in a paper envelope so I know which nuts and bolts are in a group. and go together.

Lastly I always keep the parts and the screws that came off the RHS of the bike on the R.H.S. of the garage. Same with LHS. That way I can get the thing stripped and back in a few days.

I am planning a RTW trip via Leningrad, Vladivostok, Seattle, New York and back to London either this summer or spring 2014.Maybe meet Jorik.

Time to get back to the garage,
  8. Jorik

Jorik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome
  9. Nigel Tailyour

Oddometer:
    Well I checked the wear of the clutch using Blu-Tac and it is the minimum of 4.9 mm

To make it easier I removed the spark plugs and the front cover of the engine. Then I could rotate it to measure the clutch easily.

Just bought a new clutch so back to the garage
  10. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Would you be so kind as to stop here during your RTW venture and help me change my clutch? Your methods sound very....well.....sound!