Versahaul, any experience?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by IckyBob, Apr 18, 2013.

1. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php

Has anyone used this with a GS800? I have a 2010 Tundra with a class 3 hitch. They advertised it can hold 500lbs. I understand a wet 800 with some farkles may be getting close to that weight.

My truck has a cap as well, can I access the back of the truck?

If anyone has used one of these with a GS800 in specific any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. JREDDING

JREDDING Brrrraaap

Oddometer:
    I have a light wt aluminum hitch hauler for my ktm 300 (230 pounds). A long way from the weight of a gs800. It does well, but have seen the versa haulers haul heavier bikes. I would imagine your hitch can take the weight but the front will likely be lifted due to the rear sagging. I had a cap on my truck and could not open the rear window...it hit the bike. That may vary depending on how far the bike sits away from vehicle. I personally would be too worried to have that much weight/$$$$ on a hitch hauler. But to each their own. I sold the cap and now use a back flip tonneau that I fold up when hauling the bike. Works well.
  3. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A hitch rated for 500#, carrier rated for 500# and a bike that weighs 500#...
    Do you really want my opinion?? GH
  4. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    Two corrections, first I highlighted the wrong versahaul, that one is rated at 500lbs, second I thought I had a class 3 hitch, but indeed it is a class 4.

The versahaul VH-sport RO can hold 600lbs.

Anyone haul anything bigger than a dirtbike with one of these?
  5. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I just haul my dirtbike.. but I can tell you that you wont be able to get into your truck cap when the bike is on the versahual..there is only a few inches of clearance.
  6. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had one, a clone for $250 or so. Worked fine.

1. I actually have an insert into the hitch of the hauler that uses ~19mm bolt to hold it tight to the hitch. This stops the wiggles.

2. It's still a haul and a half up on the ramp onto the hauler itself. You are going to be lower than the bike and you're going to want to get your straps squared away before you get it up there especially if you're working alone.

3. Getting it up is easier than getting it back down. Plan accordingly as you have a motor to help go up the ramp, but if you are parked weird (slightly tilted) your going to not only be fighting the balance but trying to force it backwards.

Two straps around the wheels, straps on the handlebars (total of 4 for the front, two on each side) a pair for the pegs/frame and I liked using a ratcheting strap at the center to help pull everything down tight.

Hundreds of miles later... prefer riding the F800 and hauling the KTM.
  7. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one and have towed my KTM LC4 all over the west +- 1000 mile trips. I have short hauled a F650 single. I have a silverado with extra rear suspension inserts.
    I have a campershell and you can't open the back door. The tray is adjustable, I have the bike as close as possible to the back window.
    Versahaul used to have a formula to figure out close to actual weight for distance from pin to tray.
    Long story short, it works well, adds LOTS of weight to the back of the vehicle. Try it and see what you think.
  8. tundra61

tundra61 I wish I had a title

Oddometer:
    I had a top line versahauler for my tundra. I used it to occasionally cary my 450 dirt bike which is around 250lbs.

Personally, I wouldn't cary more than that with it regardless of the spec. To me, there is more to it than the weight a pile of steel can cary. Securing the bike is a bit wonky and loading a 500lb bike would not be for the faint of heart.

If you have no other choice, go for it. If you do, I suggest the bed or a trailer.

Just MHO based on experience.
  9. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    A bike is more than just tongue weight. It applies a lot of torque to the hitch as well. A trailer may apply the same tongue weight, but it's not also trying to twist the hitch off.

OTOH with the right truck and right carrier you can carry a lot on there:
    http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/130715/
  10. lewisclarke

lewisclarke Lewis

Oddometer:
    That hauler is quite heavy. Two persons to install. Then there is awful lot of weight on the back of the vehicle. It actually may cause steering issues, from what I've heard. The beefiness of the hauler just adds to the weight and thus is worse than a lighter rack. Seems wrong to haul a big bike in that manner.
  11. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    The guy I bought my Versahauler from told me he regularly carried his sport bike to the track with it, I believe it was a GSXR1000, might have been a 600, but essentially the same weight.

I can't remember what type of vehicle he used it with.

He told me it was the model designed to haul heavy street bikes.

I use it to haul my 125 dirt bike, its about 205 lbs. Hooked up to my F250, I can't even tell its back there.

I love it.

Not sure I would be comfortable hauling a street bike with it, but the previous owner was.

And yes, mine is heavy, a pain in the butt for one out of shape person to install, but not the end of the world. -Ed
  12. Mayhem_Unlimited

Mayhem_Unlimited Adventurer

Oddometer:

+1

I had a Versahaul VH55. It worked well but as stated above was quite heavy. I'd attach and detach it from my truck all by myself and felt like I was about to get a hernia. Get a buddy to help you attach it if you go this route or get a lighter aluminum hauler that other companies make.

I ended up selling it and figure if I need to haul around a bike, I'll just rent a small trailer from U-Haul.
  13. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a versahual also...mounted to my Fj cruiser. The key was adding airbags to the suspension. However I've not carried a bike over 300lbs.

Frankly I would'nt recommend a Versahaul for a GS800. But if you must, I would suggest adding "Firestone air bags" to your truck suspension for additional stability. They were under $100, and easy to install. Keeps everything level and solid.
  14. shiryas

shiryas Dragon with matches

Oddometer:
    Not sure if any of this will help, but . . . I have a 97 F350 CCLB 4x Diesel with a Versahaul VH-55 on the back for my dirtbike. So its a big truck and I really do not even notice it on or off.

The Versahaul is heavy. I don't need a second, but its a lot more beef than the 'generic' brands. The anti-wobble/anti-rattle bracket on the reciever works great, if you do not have one I guess its a common item in the RV world and really keeps the knocking and movements to a minimum. You can buy it separate for any receiver type carriers (wish I had know this long ago with the bicycle carrier).

The extendable anchor points are easy to deploy and save my shins when its empty. I have heard horror stories about people loosing their bikes off the back after going over a bump. This has been attributed to the front compressing and the strap hook coming undone so I run mine with caribiners on the front end.

I am in the market for a second bike for my scuderia and will plan on using this to haul it home. I do not have any concerns with the mfg #500 with my truck but a lighter, shorter wheelbase vehicle . . . YMMV
  15. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I have carried my F650 Dakar on the back of my truck.

I have a Chevy 2500 HD Duramax and Merchant Automotive is about 3.5 hours from here. When I need a Diesel pro, I carry my bike there and ride it back, reversing the process on the way home.

Of course, my hitch is rated for quite a bit more than your hitch.

the Versahaul model that you describe is good for 600 lbs, enough to carry my Dakar. But the hitch-- you are going to be loading that hitch with a lot of leverage. I suggest an aftermarket hitch or a bigger truck. Not surprisingly my truck rides better with the bike on the back of it.
  16. TierHawg

TierHawg Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer:
    I currently have my FJ set-up this way (airbags) for my VersaHaul. Still alittle tricky hauling a 300 lb dualsport with the FJ.

My previous experience with the VersaHaul came from my F250. With that truck, the 300 lb WR250R was not even felt back there. The rack will go on/off with one person (bend you knees, not your back and use your thighs to support the weight). And the bike was easy an easy load and unload. I had a camper shell, and the back window was blocked from opening.

I had an F800GS a few years ago. I would never consider loading that bike onto any rack such as this. I remember a poster here taking that advice and wanting to try it anyway. I believe he later posted the wheelbase of the 800GS was too long to work on the VersaHauler anyway. YMMV
  17. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carried my Ducati 748S on the back of a 3/4 ton crew cab dodge 4X4 with zero issues. My only suggestion would be for a peace of mind to take a strap from the far side of the bike and secure it to the bed or bumper to eliminate some of the wobble.