Texan in Munich planning to rent a motorcycle tomorrow morning, tips suggestions appr

Discussion in 'Europe' started by mexipike, May 11, 2014.

1. mexipike

mexipike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Munich for the opening of my documentary for a few days, we have been here for five or six days now and are a bit restless so I've decided to rent a motorcycle tomorrow morning. The best idea I have now is to get one from sixt they seem to have nice bikes. I'm with my girlfriend so I'll probably get the 700gs. Will they loan me helmets etc? Also, I don't have an international drivers license just my Texas license will I be ok? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

John
  2. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Hi,

it seems Sixt started renting bikes over here in 2013 in cooperation with BMW, so all bikes should be new. After all, the BMW headquarters are ín Munich.
    Regarding helmets, jackets and license, I'd call them upfront (A TX or MX license should be sufficient if it includes bikes.). If something's missing, there are a few large bike apparel shops in the area where you can get a helmet or a rain suit for $50.Google 'Louis', 'Polo-Motorrad' or 'Hein-Gericke' for directions.

Please be aware:
    - no right turns on red, unless there's a signs with a green right arrow
    - no 4-way stops. In absence of signs yield to traffic from the right
    - some speed cams shot from front & back

Have fun!

Pip
  3. mexipike

Oddometer:
    We'll it seems as if they won't rent us helmets. We may go to a shop as suggested, but I would hate to buy a helmet and have to leave it here. Does anyone have two helmets they could loan for a bit in the Munich area?
  4. L21

L21 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just fly home with the helmet as carry on, I do it all the time.
  5. bavarian

bavarian bavarian

Oddometer:
    Got a couple of helmets here in Munich but it seems to be too late??

Cheers
    Richard
  6. mexipike

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think it did end up being too late but thanks so much for the offer. We we're doing everything so last minute and the weather ended up being shitty that day.
    Next time I go to Europe I will definitely prepare to have a motorcycle though.