Does Make Sense an HP2E & 1200GSA fleet?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by alfaris, Feb 5, 2011.

1. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I currently own two dirt bikes and two HP2: Enduro & Megamoto.

The MM is too close to the E on daily use, it is only brighter in terms of powerful engine and when attacking twisty roads. On the rest it shares the same unconfourtable characteristics of the HP2 e on daily/touring use. Lack of ABS, lack of TCS, lack of decent windscreen, lack of fuel range, lack of decent luggage capcity, as well as lack of a decent passenger seat.

I really love both HP2, but now i´ve got the HP2 E i am intended to keep it only for trail/dirt riding, got pure dirts as XRR or 530 are, so i do not need to punish the HP2 E in excess to have fun on the dirt.

In terms of daily commuting and touring, as a former owner of a 1200GSA, i am starting missing some of its good things

My idea is to trade the MM for a GSA, and now the question: Does it make sense to have a HP2E & a 1200GSA fleet?

at least look like it does for someone on this forum..................

[​IMG]
  2. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    I'm nearly 70 and no longer have the itch for multiple machines..got up to 12 bikes 15 years ago...it's taken me time and money to soften and 'multi-purpuse' my HP2e but now find it does everything I want to do.....my next step will likely be the BMW maxi-scooter, replacing the HP2 and the 250 Piaggio scooter...all part of the fun and the reason I like this site so much....world wide options on display.....would you wait to see the rumored water-cooler? Bruce
  3. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    I had a Boxercup and the HP2 E at one point, however with a large tail bag and small windscreen I was more comfy on the HP2 E then Boxercup for trips and daily commuting, so the Boxercup just sat even on track days as I was equally as fast or faster on the HP2 E with stock suspension around Barber.

Sold the BoxerCup and then bit the bullet on a 2009 R12ADV that was our demo at the time so extra discount. I never really got attached to that bike, it was just a bike to ride when it was colder out or I needed some hard luggage. I made the mistake of spending a weekend on the 2010 R12ADV that we took in on trade and I was hooked. I now ride that bike more then my HP2 E, but mainly due to cooler weather this time of year and the HP2 E was out of commission pretty much all of last year doing project rebuild to it.

I now have a better HP2 E set-up and it will be my fun commuter, weekend road carver and maybe even track bike.

In short, absolutely the R12ADV and HP2 E can live in harmony. The R12ADV is MUCH more practical and better for the longer trips and doesn't have to go offroad to be a great bike (rarely will mine see any major offroading) and the HP2 E is the hot trophy girlfriend, great for a fun night on the town, not so good to take to family dinners and business outings. :lol3
  4. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Yes that would be a good option, wait for the watercooled engine, but first generation engines shall have problems that even the warranty can cover, makes you nervous, upset and whitout bike for days when occur.

I like current boxer oilhead engines, i do not understand which advantages would the watercooled boxer engine bring.

main question for me is that MM is always demanding some attacking mode on the twisties, and the GSA invites you to a more relaxed riding , focusing on landscapes more than on the riding itself.

What i wouldnt like is to accesorize the MM to make her loose its carchater, i shall enjoy it as it is, and i do. To install cases on the MM or bigger tanks............i do not see the point.

When i had the GSA , i rode sometimes 350kms non stop on twisty highways
    . now i am starting to miss those times. There are more things on daily and touring use that i am now missing from the GSA that i would miss from the MM.
  5. NachoRoto

NachoRoto Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good option. Myself I would trade both in. Get the GSA and make the second bike a more severe dirt machine. Or just a smaller Scooterish ride to wander around town with. The idea to me is not to have 2 vehicles so close to each other. A GSA and a 450x is a nice combo. Or an F800R. Myself I am cheap. And not brand loyal. My second trail bike would be one of three bikes. DRZ400s, XT250 or another TW200. I am not a motorcross guy. I just wander offroad. And I like little bikes to play in the snow.
  6. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much,:freaky

i really like the way you express the differences among both bikes :clap

I understand that a 2010 GSA with the new engine is closer to the MM than the pre 2010 GSA engines.

MM and 2010GSA have the same compression ratio,
    Torque: MM 11.5 / GSA 12.0...mmm beter on the GSA
    BHP: MM113 / GSA 110............easy to equal both with an Akra.

My BMW dealer salesman has got now a 2010 GS1200 30 anniversary, he came from a MM. He told me that ther is no such such difference among 2010 GS engine and a MM. Differences come more from sensations, geometry, tires, steering angle, muffler and many more........... Maybe i shall ask him for a ride on his 2010 1200GS 30 anniversary, so i can compare.

I enjoy the HP2 E, in fact this is my second HP2 E , i got a HP2 E for two years and i put 35k on it, using it for every thing. Same 35k i put on the GSA i got before that.

Now question is if i shall have both.
    Do i like both bikes? YES
    Do i turn my head when i see one passing or parked? YES.
    Did i owned same models in the past ? YES , BOTH
    Did i go back to the HP2 E? YES, AGAIN, bought this one last october.
    Would i go back to the GSA? YES BUT KEEPING THE HP2E

only question left is if i would miss the MM.......?????? :cry
  7. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Hi,

appreciate your answer.

A great combination in the past was the GSA and the ktm525, i enjoyed a lot this combo.

Now i got a 530, and i wouldn´t mind to have a GSA/530 combo, problem is i love so much the HP2 E, and i would like to keep it with me.

on 2008 I traded my former 2006GSA for that first HP2 E, on 2009 y got rid of the HP2 E on a very wrong decision on times of personal trouble. I regreted it .................found a MM last february 2010, i enjoy it...After some wrong moves, i bought my current HP2 E on october 2010. i intend to keep it forever.
  8. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    My HP2 is in the states, the GSA in Germany, so any input is based on not having the option of which bike to ride.

I am planning on bringing the HP2 over and trying Markus' tank and some Zegas.

I think the GSA will never see offroad and maybe even see the flea market.

Although I may buy a 06 1150GSA as my sport touring mount, which is what the 09 is now.

Not much help here.
  9. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're breaking my heart.
  10. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    GSA is about 45Kg (100 lbs) heavier also....

Lighter is better, remember that from R1150GS to R1200GS, the goal was to lighten at least 30 kg (66 lbs) :evil
  11. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Hi, i know you have both HP2 E and MM. so i appreciate your point of view.

let me ask you a question.
    Which one is your commuting bike? which one your touring bike?

Regarding de Xtras.
    to have ABS on the MM mean to buy a new one is a factory option only,
    i have the wunderlich rack as on the HP2 E,
    With TCS i meant ASC
    windscreen you are right, are ugly.
    markus underseat tank..........well could be, i prefer it on the MM than on the E, that rear tire clearance........
    even the new seat, passenger would not be very confortable due to the height of the rear footpegs.

Regarding the weight, yes, the MM could be considered as a light weight bike in terms of BMW Boxer bikes, of course

But i guess my doubts come from the concept itself more than from technical data.

GSA is a riding concept itself, as the MM is. I cannot say a way of life but almost. The freedom sensation that an ADV bike gives me, ins not given by Hypermotard bike, due to the reason that one can go off road, and the other,...........well ..........i´ve tried sometimes on summer, i can do it, but.........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVvF4y9-V_w

and the fuel range is a big issue, i remember myself riding 350kms non stop on mountain roads with my former 2006 GSA, unaware of gas stations, just riding.

My head and heart tell me that the GSA is again the way to go, even keeping the HP2 E, and let her more dirt oriented.

My heart likes MM power delivery and riding sensations on twisties, but i wonder if the 2010 GSA engine with an Akra and the telelever be closer......:huh

I´ll try to test a 2010 GSA from the dealer this week. maybe this bring some light
  12. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a GS1150, not even an Adv one.

I will never go again to heavy bikes even if I'm able to pick them up when they fall on the ground. Weight is pain...

Also, I always ride alone, nobody behind me on my seat :thumb
  13. Wrong

Wrong wrong way

Oddometer:
    I have both. 2010 GSA and the 2006 HP2 Enduro, I cannot tell you what a blast it is trying to figure out what bike to ride today, or do I have an hour to switch the wheels on the HP to supermoto. For the first time I do not think of other bikes I feel like I've got it all. In the interest of full disclosure I might also add that there is a third machine in the stable.... 2007 K1200GT. Yea Yea I know I've spoiled myself rotten, but nobody else will so I have no choice.
  14. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Thank you for answering... Wrong,

For me the decission is not Which bike choose today for this or that route, the question is which bike would i like to ride today, an according to that i choose one route or another i mean more roads or more dirt.

For daily commuting, after 35k on another HP2E and 35k on former GSA, there is no doubt the GSA is much better by all means, regarding touring or long road rides, GSA no doubt. HP2 shines specially on the dirt or on wilder routes above the GSA. Main concern on the HP2 is the fuel range.

having the GSA with road tires as anakees or tourance, and the HP2 with knobbies, there would be no doubt of which one to choose on a due route.

anyway i got different friends with both kind of bikes so i´ll have company on any ride if i want.

main concern now is if i would like to keep on the "road attack" mode with the MM or going for a "touring trail" mode as the GSA represents.

for me the MM is the way of keeping in touch with the SPORT road riding.
  15. Big Bad Ron

Big Bad Ron Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have both, I bought the Hp2 when I was tired of chancing tires back and forth. I just love having both.

Ron
  16. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Hi,

nice to know i am not the one who is crazy about this combo.

Which tires do you have on each one now?

cheers :freaky
  17. Big Bad Ron

Big Bad Ron Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right now I have TKC80, on the HP, But I'm getting stone master from Gnarly parts they are coming from Twisted Throttle. I am looking for as much bite as I can get.
    On the GSA I'm running Anakee. But I do have a spare set of wheels also with TKC80 on them. You might say I am ready anything :)

Ron
  18. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    that´s the idea.

I ve got two set of wheels for the HP2E, one with karoo/tkc, the other i am planning to gear with dessert or something more agressive even they ll be tubetypes.

For the ADV, main set shall be Tourance or anakees.

By the way, do you have any regrets or concerns on having both?
  19. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

It's the way ahead :thumb

One of the best things about the GSA is I don't worry about commuting on it, if it might get stolen or knocked over when I have to leave it over night in the city (Much easier to find another GSA than another HP2E) I also don't worry about all the miles I rack up when commuting.

I do ride the GSA off-road but more for 2 up work and I like the fact that I the HP is now more geared up just for dirt and less commuting compromises (like a bigger screen, which will easily get broken when dirt riding).
  20. ADVBedouin

ADVBedouin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Disclaimer: I'm very partial to the HP2E. That being said, it's become one of my favorite bikes ever, especially for backroad blasting. Granted the 150 mile range is a hinderance, but it's a blast to ride & the TKC80's hook up nicely.
    Motorcycling is about freedom & I've found the best 2-wheeled expression of that in dual-sport bikes...any road, any time, in comfort.
    The GSA & HP2E make a perfect quiver.