San Diego Summer School 2008

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by BAGSTR, Oct 5, 2008.

1. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    With summer closing down and fall approaching, I thought it time to review what has been learned during a summer of off pavement exploration here in Southern California, sometimes known as SOCAL.
    Contrary to popular belief, it does rain a few days per season here.
    [​IMG]
    When it does, act quickly to enjoy the greenery.
    [​IMG]
    There were a couple of challenging trips down to the Anza Borrego during a few unexpected cool days. If I learned anything this summer session it is that the desert is the ultimate challenge on a 500lb moto. Not being a lifelong offroader, the learning curve dictated numerous dead lifts. I discovered that three 550lb dead lifts are my limit before I search out the nearest pavement for relief. I've about worn out this photo. It should be retired, and will next season.
    [​IMG]
    But, the Dez has many wonders to recommend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just be certain to take pals along for safety and added laughs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As temperatures rise, the riding travels up slope
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The summer really has been a learning experience, as I have only been exploring the county off pavement areas for 1 1/2 years. Discovering views of old places from new perspectives has been tremendous fun. Plus, finding places I have never visited in the county of my birth is amazing.

The summer heat encouraged one trip up north to Big Bear with my riding pal Captcham. We camped at Crab Flats and got a good overview
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Capt is an adventurous spirit and he is not bashful about exploring new roads. If you have ever travelled 3N34 you know what I mean. That was a large challenge, just downhill.
    [​IMG]
    A fun time had by all
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back in town, it was time to search out previously unknown (to me) corners of the county. Study/homework followed by weekend exams
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Life can be good in SOCAL, Up on Santa Rosa Mtn.
    [​IMG]
    Pine Mountain
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And more...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My summer school final exam just came back. It tells me there is more to learn! More homework, more field research. Off I go.
  2. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics BAGSTR!
    Looking forward to your Winter Adventures. :clap
    Hopefully I'll be able to join you sometime. :wave
  3. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit

Oddometer:
    Very nice indeed!!:clap

Hopefully I will get out there late fall or early winter, and we can go explore east county...
  4. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    Riceless & Low Down,

Thanks for the photo review. Yes gents, it is always fun to gather with riders from the online community. If we stretch our geographic planning toward one another, who knows what we can accomplish.
    In that vein, I am hoping to do a loop the weekend of Oct 18: Indian Flats Rd. ( near Warner Springs) to Thomas Mtn and maybe up to Idyllwild; return via Wilson Valley Rd, Palomar High Point.
    A group I was leading was once described as a bunch of "Sight Seers". That pretty much sums me up. I am not looking for the tightest single track, more like the most unique view.

Always Planning
  5. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics and glad bagstr you are a moving force in that part of socal.

Come winter, we will head down south and experience your thumping grounds....:clap

Good job and thanks for sharing :D
  7. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bagstr.

For putting those together and especially for prompting me to get out and see some of all that.
  8. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    Gents,

Thanks for the appreciation. You know, it's funny the magnet that draws us beyond the city limits. Rolling down the interstate in the middle of town can be pretty exciting given the state of driving practice, but hardly a positive experience. Finding a unique quite place, relying only on your wits and riding buddies, is a quest that keeps drawing me back again and again.
    [​IMG]