Trip Through Idaho

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by Lycan1, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Here is the gpx file of my proposed route (south to north) for the Idaho guys to have a look at. Let me know if this looks doable for large dual-sports. Looking for gas stops along the way, in the more remote areas as well.

Thanks

[​IMG]

This is not to be confused with the "Tour of Idaho Challenge". This is my own route put together for a big dualsport trip, and as yet untested.

Attached Files:

2. spudlake

spudlake n00b

Oddometer:
    Great plan.

A few suggestions. At Henrys lake ride up 87 to the ID-MT border and ride the divide to red rock pass. This is a beautiful stretch of the divide. And when you ride by the red rock lakes, go on the south side. The north side has miserable sand dunes. Like riding through 2 feet of flour.

Not necessary but if you want more back roads in MT you can cut from painted rocks lake to the nez perce road, as a slower but shorter route. Later you could look at cutting accross Dorshack resevoir at Dent or Grandad bridges. Also you can turn east at the town of Clarkia and ride over freezeout and eventually come out at Avery. Different options.

Can provide more details if interested.

Have fun!
  3. Sanders

Sanders Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer:
    Confluence of the Mississippi and the St. Croix
    Any Grizzly's along that route? 2 years ago I could've sworn I saw a Brown Bear, but it wasn't very big...Up by Stanley
  4. WTW

WTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So your route is not THE TOUR OF IDAHO CHALLENGE ?
  5. WTW

WTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tom
  6. birdcool

birdcool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This path would be a more scenic way past the lake.

Attached Files:

7. opjocephus

opjocephus Dick Tree

Oddometer:
    This should work for you.

Edit: Could have sworn Countdown asked someone to convert this to a track.

Attached Files:

8. Brokein2

Brokein2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks along the line of the new T3 route...............Big bike dooable
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I took all the routes I have for Idaho and made this first cut at a Statewide Motorizes trail System for Idaho.

I still have active logs to give it more resolution in the Hwy 12 to Wallace area.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  10. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Lycan1, it looks like perhaps 20-25 percent of the route is in Montana. Idaho and Montana are quite different.
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Thank you I appreciate that!

Wow, lots of great info there, thanks!

Yes I realize that, but I am doing this from the south to the north and I had to call it something. It was just an unfortunate coincidence that it was labeled like the big off-road ride that is called "tour of Idaho". I had never heard of that before. For me this will be a tour of Idaho. The only reason that I will be in Montana is that I am doing the CDT from Canada down to Yellowstone first, then heading back up through Idaho. I am really looking forward to that, since last year was the first time I had ridden Idaho, but we stuck to pavement trying to skirt around snowstorms in May (on bikes) heading to Moab.
  12. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lycan1 - any more progress on the route? Have your ridden it yet? Hoping to get up in that area soon. Will be on DR-650's loaded with gear. Would love to do the T1 (tour of idaho) but it sounds like our bikes are too big and heavy for a few sections of that route. I have seen the T3 from the website and may just try to do that instead. If you have insights on any of this please let me know
    thanks, Tim
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend just did it. I will be posting his tracks soon. Currently in Utah GPSing the GWT.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    We finished our trip a few weeks ago now. Idaho was great and I will post the Idaho parts asap. See the ride report here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906927
  15. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    The track that comes across from Montana is not included, but came across the Lewis and Clark trail over Lemhi Pass which I strongly recommend. West of North Fork and north of Shoup the route climbs steeply with lots of switchbacks, and goes through a burned out section(s) of forest. Absolutely beautiful, and passes along sections of the Magruder corridor. There is one long climb that is rutted and rocky, but a decent rider on a big bike should manage well. Be sure to fuel up in North Fork or Shoup as it is a fairly long track with no services along its length.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    This track did cross back into Montana briefly by Painted Rocks Lake, and could be modified to stay on the Idaho side if you wanted. It hits pavement around the lake, then gravels-out as you head west again. There is a isolated section of pavement, seemingly in the middle of nowhere that takes you up over the pass and Frank Church Wilderness viewpoint. The turns to gravel again shortly after (west) of the pass. It is a nice twisty and entertaining section of forgotten pavement that sees little traffic.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    This is the third section of the route through Idaho. An easy section with a mix of pavement (60%) and gravel (40%) but don't let that dissuade you, as the pavement leaving Orofino is a absolute delight and must have been engineered by a motorcyclist! Then Three Bear Creek road is a nice easy but scenic run on gravel. Pay attention as there are lots of places to get off track at "Ys" in the road, before it connects to highway 8. A quick run up highway 3 to the town of Santa and a short but sweet treat on Bigalow Mill road, that cuts off the corner of highway 3 and 6. I came across this by accident on Google maps and figured I'd try it, and was rewarded with a great and scenic little detour.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    The forth section of the Idaho trip. Starts out from St. Maries up St. Joe River road, then turns up Baldy Mountain road, another entertaining and pretty track. I manged to take a wrong turn and forgot to edit it out so look at the track on Baldy Mountain road and edit out the little back track to the right. At Cataldo the track joins the freeway for 1 exit before stopping for fuel and heading up Coeur D' Alene River road then over to "Old River road" and onto NF-209.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    The fifth and favorite section of the Idaho trip. There is one short section that was a challenge due to its over-growth and narrowness and steepness, but in truth the most entertaining. A good rider on a large bike should have no real problems, but see the you tube video Idaho Crazy Take 2 before you decide. There is a go around to the west on an easy main road that joins where we come off that little gem.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  20. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    This section starts just south of Sandpoint at the RV park that we settled for after the other campsite was full. It goes up past Priest lake and into Washington. There was one section of trail that said "closed for repairs" west of Sandpoint which we ignored (there were no barricades) and it was the best section of that road (as in most interesting) and would be a challenge only for a novice rider.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.