1997 BMW F650ST (my craigs list deal!)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by outlaws justice, Mar 26, 2011.

1. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    I have a lot of bikes, and Some say I have a problem. Well I also watch craigs list for those great deals trhat you cannot pass up. So last year I was checking craigs list and at about 3:30 in the afternoon, someone posted this 1997 BMW F650ST with only 14,000 miles. I did not know anything about them, but it was listed for $1,100. A quick check and I realized it was a pretty good deal, and at 5:30 I was in the guys driveway looking the bike over. The battery was low and the bike would not start. The seat had a piece of tape on it covering a rip in the seat, and two of the turn signals were broken, We talked a little while his trickle charger tried to charge the battery. I checked the paperwork and got the engine to turn over slowly. I asked what he would take and he offered me the bike for $1,000. I handed over the cash and he helped me load it.

After getting the bike home and on a real charger it fired up and I took it for a short ride. VERY NICE! I mentioned the bike to my cousin (He and I ride together more than anyone else) We had gotten his older son a Honda VT500 Ascot three years earlier and now he was riding a Honda Nighthawk-S. He liked this bike and his younger son had ridden dirt bikes when younger. He was about to graduate from high school so we got the seat covered, replaced the two signal lights and Matt gave his son the bike for graduation. He had no license yet, so later in the year both His son and my Neice took the MSF Class together, both passed. The Bike sat in my garage for the winter and I got it out this week to prep it for it's first ridding season for his son. A new Battery and changing the street tires to something a little more Adventure suited. Mounted up the tires today, installed the new battery and the bike is ready to go. On a side note I also just finished preparing a 2001 Kawasaki 250 Ninja for my niece for her first season, it has 2,100 miles on it and I have $600 invested in it.

Total invested into this bike is less than $1500. Take a look at the bike, let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  2. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet deal, I'm partial to my $1500 CL BMW though :evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As an avid Graiglist watcher you did well. Really well.
  4. Abomb

Abomb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a freakin steal. Hop on the Chain Gang forum. Do the cannisterectomy and the VR relocate. The VR is located under the seat and gets REALLY hot, two easy mods and worth it. Depending on what you are wanting out of the bike, I put on a 15tooth CS sprocket and man what a difference. Better slow speeds, in town, and tons of low end grunt, not much change on top end, still hits 100 easily and cruises at 80mph. On a 97 F650.
  5. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1:eek1 $1000.00 for a BMW 650!!!:eek1:eek1 Enjoy!!!:freaky:lol3:clap
  6. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said. :thumbup
  7. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    Where is the chain gang? Also I rode it yesterday just down the road for a couple miles. (Tyler is still at college so not ready for it yet) seems the clutches are slipping in the higher gears, How big a job it that on one of these. I will be ordering new plates and friction discs tomorrow.
  8. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chain Gang = f650.com
    Nice bike
  9. adammtb

adammtb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What tires did you put on the F650? I have one too and was looking around for some tires like that but could not find a decent 18" front tire?

Nice find btw. I got mine with Jesse bags and some other aftermarket goodies for $1700.
  10. 77carl

77carl n00b

Oddometer:
    How'd you ever find a tire set that matched!! The 18" front is a bear to find. I went with a 5.1 IRC GP1 on the back and a 2.75 IRC TC1 on the front. Mind giving us the tire info? Thanks!
  11. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    www.f650.com The FAQs are a wealth of info for the F650s. As mentioned the VR relocation is almost a must to avoid problems down the road.

Congratulations on a really good deal on a nice bike.

:freaky
  12. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    I do not remember the brand of tires (They were cheap) I found a tread pattern that we liked and ended up using a rear tire for the front (It is the correct size) and of course the correct rear tire that matched. The Tires work out very well and my Nephew has been riding the bike all summer. So just find the tires you like and use a rear 18" on the front of the bike.
  13. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    Since I originally found and bought this bike, I have had more questions about the tires I put on it than any other questions on the forum. Well the bike belongs to my Nephew and he just brought it back from College and It is in my care (heated storage until spring) so I decided it would be a good time to get the tire information and pass it along to the members here who need it. (After three years the tires are still doing really well!

Shinko Trail Master E-705 Sizes as indicated in the pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Beer Snob

Oddometer:
    I just saw this posting, thank you for putting this info up. I have the exact same bike and was looking for something a wee bit trail friendly.

Cheers!
  15. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    what a deal! super clean bike.
  16. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    Yes, It was a great deal

We mountd the tires traditionally as you can see by the tread direction.
  17. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Beer Snob

Oddometer:
    For those looking to do the same thing tire wise. I picked up the set for $110 with shipping from CompACC. Just need to mount them now. Same bike 97F650ST
    [​IMG]