Klr2tdf

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Doogle, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    UPDATE. I am sorry if all my pictures aren't exactly where they should be, or sub titled correctly. It is because the underhanded "PHOTOBUCKET" company pulled the carpet out from under the feet of millions of users. I'm having to go through thousands of pictures and decide which picture I inserted. Several years later my memory is a little mixed.
    =====================================================
    I am planning to leave for TDF on 12/1 or 12/2.I will leave from El Centro,California on an 06 KLR. I planned to leave 11/1.But my mother suddenly became ill and passed away in October.

I think my bike is ready for the trip.But I haven't had enough time to decide on a route or POI's.I plan on about 4 months for the trip.I would like to ride some with other inmates.I think Throttlemeister is in Columbia now.Hopefully I will catch up with him sometime.And I think Sasper is taking a month to learn Spanish in Mexico.Should see you sometime soon.

So,if anyone is within this time frame and wants company,let me know.

Doug
  2. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching your progress, enjoy, take lot's of photos and post.

If I'm still in Costa Rica when you come through, I'll be glad to help in any way.

Buen viaje
  3. Alaskan Smoker

Alaskan Smoker Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey live it up don't hurry too much you might miss something. I planned 2 weeks in Mexico ended up staying 6. It is an amazing place I'm currently in Xela Guatemala for 2 weeks studying Spanish my buddy and I are both on 08 klrs and will be heading to tdf after feel free to send me a message with any questions good luck.
  4. Doogle

Oddometer:
  5. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I rode to Mazatlan.About 480 miles,mostly cuotas (tolls),and not much to see.I was almost out of gas and suddenly no one took US $$$.I hadn't exchanged any money at the border and now regretted it.At my 5th Pemex station I got lucky and got a tank full.The guy told me I would be able to exchange at Mazatlan.The hotel I stay in exchanged $200 for me the next morning.

Today I rode 500+ miles.Riding to Tepic was a great curvy road that reminded me of Hawaii.Cactus,mountains,cattle in the road.I rode "libre" (free) through Guadalajara.But after being lost for 2 hours I paid $40 to ride cuotas the next 250 miles to Morelia.A friend of mine was there with his wife.They drove down from Cincinnati to explore some more Mexico.He rode TDF in 2004.It was just a coincident that our trips overlapped.But since he was there and I wanted to go there,I rode in the dark hours the last couple days.

As I rode into Morelia,I decided I would stay more than 1 night.It is very interesting.Tomorrow I will try to post some pictures rather than explain "interesting".
  6. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I still can't believe you didn't take the harley!
  7. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're out on the road. Have fun! :ricky
  8. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Where have I been the last few days?I stayed
    in a Hotel El Carmen,built around 1650 AD.
    [​IMG]

I met my home town friend Merril and his wife Dianne.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We went to Lake Patzcuaro.We saw rock sculpting on a grand scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We went to an old convent built in 1531 then converted into what looked looked a museum.But it is a display of the best artists in the state.They produce and sell their works here.

Morelia was the first really interesting place I saw on my trip.I hope to bring my wife here next year.So much more than I expected.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was up till 1am on Skype.Then when I went to bed my neck started hurting.I couldn't sleep at all.4:30 I got up and took a hot shower.It relieved the pain some,but I didn't sleep 1 minute the whole night.It happened to me about a month ago also.Anyway I was sore and tired as I told my friends good bye.I thought I would have an easy day. A 3 hour ride to the butterfly sanctuary.Then a 2 hour hard hike up and down hills to see very few butterflies in the air.They were just big clumps of them hanging in trees.I know I was 1-2 months early for the big show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't had a lot of time for eating.Before going on the hike of the monarchs I stopped and ate a bag of chips and an orange drink.That was all I had till before going to bed and eating 2 granola bars and a bottle of water. 4 of the 6 days I've been in Mexico I have only had 1 meal.Well after the hike and having no sleep I needed a room. Bananaman told me about these luv shaks.Well it was pretty nice.Electric garage door opener,tile floor,king bed,best hotttt shower pressure I've had in a long time.Great for washing clothes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the morning I found a new place to get lost.Mexico city.But I started the day off right With lunch.

[​IMG]

Then trying to find my way out of town.I finally gave up and got on the cuota till Puebla.It was worth it.Tonight I'm in Tehauca.And my neck is almost pain free. 2 days before I thought my trip was in danger because of it.In a couple days I plan to be in San Cristobal de las Casas. I may meet up with someone from this forum.It would be the first riders I have seen other than 2 BMW's I saw going north in Morelia.It would be nice to see other ADVriders.:clap
  9. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Looks like my pics didn't work.But I'm too tired to try again tonight.Maybe they will heal with a little sleep too.
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Eat! You're missing out on a chance to never want to eat American Mexican food again. Jeez- a guy could easily make a ride through Mexico a glitton's delight. A gourmand's epic. Mexico food isn't for missing. Do yourself a favor. Skeedadle back to Texas and start over.
  11. Dr. Benny

Oddometer:
    I thought that Mexican style food would continue through Central America - I was wrong. As soon as you leave Mexico the tortillas are gone. Same with the flavor and variety. Max is right, eat well when in Mexico :deal
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Fish cheeks and ceviche in Grenada. A burger on Quito. Nothing else worth remembering till you get some parilla in Argentina. Savor Mexico.
  13. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    Good Start Doug:clap
    (sorry to read about your Mom)
    I find that anything close to 500 miles in a day on a 650 gives me a "pinched" neck and it sucks. Big wind days are the worst. You should of retrofitted the Harley fairing to that badass KLR:lol3 I might have to come up with some neck exercise routine before the next trip. I'm jealous you, John and Stephen are all on the road. Eliz and I have been saving our pennies and should have enough for Mexico pretty soon. :deal (getting away is the far bigger challenge)

I would have to say I do the same on most trips. Jerky,granola bars and energy drinks for the first few days then feast. (Don't skimp on H2o)
    Hope to see you catch Thottlemeister and pass Sasper(bet he's already got a GF by now) Be Well Greg/Eliz and of course Carhartt
  14. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I ate today.About 4pm.Call it desayuno o cena.I'm not big on food.At home the wife asks what I want,I say the first thing she suggests.When traveling,she tells me to decide where.I head to the nearest McD.She doesn't like that,so she decides.I'm not particular.I don't like to go hungry for more than a day and a half.I am out of wack right now though.I usually eat more than what I have been.

And I don't know what's up with my sleeping.I went to bed last night at 1am.Didn't go to sleep till 6am.Got up at 7:55.Got on line to see what I am doing wrong trying to post pics from photobug.Gave up and fixed a wiring problem for heated grips.I packed pretty minimal except for gloves.5 pair.Well after 2 consecutive days,I now have 3 and 2 half pair.I lost the right glove of 2 cheapy pairs.

Finally got on the road about 10:30.I road rt 131 into Oaxaca.What great curves.Wore some of the side rubber off.That was about 80 miles of fun,fun,fun,fun.I thought about turning around and doing it again.But then I didn't want to see that cop again.Yea,the one that stopped me and a string of other drivers in a 60kph spot.I don't think I was going a lot over.He let me go after a short talk.

I got to Oaxaca about 3:30 and thought it was time to eat.Ate at a sidewalk restaurant by the main plaza.It is a town a could revisit.As I started riding out of town,I thought maybe I should see more of this town.So I turned around and got a room near that plaza.I saw a small army of people dressed up like clowns and parading down the street.Sure was interesting.It maybe something for senora Guadalupe day.If I get the photo thing figured out before I fall asleep,I'll post.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The biggest things I have realized so far on this trip:
    1.While the Latin driving system looks crazy,it seems way more efficient than ours.Bananaman,you alluded to that in Minnesota.The only horns you hear are when people sit a a green lite.These people pay attention to their driving.And I am not as concerned about them pulling up close to me.They seem to respect a bike a bit more.
    2.The people are great.I was at the plaza tonight.There were thousands of people there.No attitudes.Just people having a good time.Everyone dressed conservative.I didn't see anyone wearing clothes they wouldn't wear to church.I would like to complain about that though.

While in Morelia,my friend Merril hit the topes on the hard side.He took the car to Midas to see if he could get a quik cheap fix for it.Didn't want Midas because you would expect only all new,front to back.But time was an issue.So they put it up on the rack.3 guys working on it for 10-15 minutes-bailing wire.How expensive was it?They would not take any money.Unbelievable.
  15. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I think a have a neck nerve problem.It was a problem before my trip.And it started bothering me at the end of a none riding day.

I do have a Harley windshield on it.I think it helps making my foot pegs vibrate stronger.

I passed Sasper 3 days ago.We missed each other.He is doing the life style trip.If he get south,fine.If not he will probably be just as happy.
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Usually I don't eat either. It drives women mad. Coffee when I get up, then a late dinner. Eating 5 or 6 times a week is plenty. Unless you're in Mexico. I could gain 200 pounds just experimentally eating different kinds of chiles.
  17. Doogle

Oddometer:
  18. Dr. Benny

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Whoa! Two forks? I ain't never eaten at no fancy restaurant like dat! I knew when a restaurant was in my price range if it had plastic tables and chairs :lol3

Keep on having fun! I'm jealous :thumb
  19. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Benny,that was $21 US with the tip.When I looked at the place,I thought I didn't care what it cost.I didn't even ask.Glad I did it.
  20. Doogle

Oddometer: