ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   640 Adv battery (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102153)

Buckster 10-24-2005 04:14 AM

640 Adv battery

My battery is goosed, instead of getting one under warranty which will mean the crappy Yuassa that seems to fail on a regular basis, I intend to upgrade to a Gel unit or some such, any recommendations?

Buckster 10-24-2005 12:15 PM

Come on, some of you must have a battery recomendation, I was not sure if I should go with a Westco gel or a Sprint lead acid.

meat popsicle 10-24-2005 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster
Come on, some of you must have a battery recomendation, I was not sure if I should go with a Westco gel or a Sprint lead acid.

If your so anti-battery, change the charging system, get a big capacitor, and kick away! :deal

Um, anyways, you had problems with the standard battery? :ear

markjenn 10-24-2005 01:09 PM

Nearly all the motorcycle batteries sold today are AGM - sealed lead-acid Absorbed Gas Mat batteries. I doubt you can even find true "gel" battery for the Adv. They're generally considered better than gels and have the same property of being sealed and having no lliquid electolyte - the lead-acid solution is absorbed in the gas mattes. So whether you got Yuasa, WestCo, Excide, etc. is not going to make any difference in the battery type - it will no doubt be an AGM.

Some folks think Yuasa's are worth the extra $$$.

- Mark

Buckster 10-24-2005 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
If your so anti-battery, change the charging system, get a big capacitor, and kick away! :deal

Um, anyways, you had problems with the standard battery? :ear

Are you PUI again?

My battery has a cell down, from hunting about on the net it appears that the Yuassa has a life span of about 10k miles, they warranty them for twelve months, Sprint offer a 24 month warranty.

meat popsicle 10-24-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster
Are you PUI again?

My battery has a cell down, from hunting about on the net it appears that the Yuassa has a life span of about 10k miles, they warranty them for twelve months, Sprint offer a 24 month warranty.

at least you got the correct battery with your bike! :mrskbasa

complain, complain, complain!!! :rolleyes

creeper 10-24-2005 03:05 PM

Mark is pretty much right on the button Bucky.

Advanced (absorbed) Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are about as good as it gets in the size/capacity we use. So it's really a cost/availability/warranty issue for what ever is available in England.

I still have the original battery after nearly 3 years and 10K miles... but I've always put it on a battery tender if it's going to sit for more than a few days.

Now that I've said this, it's almost a certainty that it will fail completely within the next 10 minutes. :lol3

potatoho 10-24-2005 05:06 PM

Wow, we have to change these things? Orig batt, 6 years 15k miles. No choke and no auto-decomp LOL.

creeper 10-24-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatoho
Wow, we have to change these things? Orig batt, 6 years 15k miles. No choke and no auto-decomp LOL.

Was it you that caused me to get 19 e-mail notices all at once??? I thought my fuckin' 'puter exploded.

Christ on a Crutch... :huh

potatoho 10-24-2005 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
Was it you that caused me to get 19 e-mail notices all at once??? I thought my fuckin' 'puter exploded.

Christ on a Crutch... :huh

Would be a neat trick, but I don't think it was me. Unless you get 19 more because I just posted this reply :dunno

bmwktmbill 10-24-2005 10:32 PM

Buck,
We went round and round on the BMW Airhead list on this point. It's all AGM, not gel now. I had good luck with Panasonic AGM-same as what Westco sell relabeled. In the USA a company called Digikey sells Panasonic real cheaply. You can do a search for the 800 number and give them a call on sizes. Just put 50K tough miles on one. It is still very strong.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI

Buckster 10-25-2005 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Buck,
We went round and round on the BMW Airhead list on this point. It's all AGM, not gel now. I had good luck with Panasonic AGM-same as what Westco sell relabeled. In the USA a company called Digikey sells Panasonic real cheaply. You can do a search for the 800 number and give them a call on sizes. Just put 50K tough miles on one. It is still very strong.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI

Thanks, that's the kind of recommendation I like, with the battery size I know that if it fails in the back of beyond it could be a major problem so the best battery is the only way to go. I heard that the Westco was the Panasonic but need to check the model number because all they list here is gel, although I am led to believe that they are the AGM type.

Buckster 10-25-2005 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
Mark is pretty much right on the button Bucky.

Advanced (absorbed) Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are about as good as it gets in the size/capacity we use. So it's really a cost/availability/warranty issue for what ever is available in England.

I still have the original battery after nearly 3 years and 10K miles... but I've always put it on a battery tender if it's going to sit for more than a few days.

Now that I've said this, it's almost a certainty that it will fail completely within the next 10 minutes. :lol3

There's the rub, I have over 11k miles after just over a year, my expected mileage this next year will be about 18k miles maybe more if I get my tour of Scandinavia and Iceland in.

Esteban 10-25-2005 08:04 AM

Quote:

DITTO

99 640 LC4e
16,000 miles and original battery.

Loadedagain 10-25-2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

mine is original too... gonna replace it this year just for the hell of it, but i betcha i could get another year outa it.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:36 AM.