ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Requesting Feedback on the Thread Index's Reorganization (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113084)

meat popsicle 01-07-2006 10:28 PM

Requesting Feedback on the Thread Index's Reorganization

First (very rough) Draft completed.

I explained my draft state in the end of the thread, but suffice to say I wanted to get some feedback on my direction before going too (?) far. Please take a gander and lemme know!!! :deal

meat popsicle 01-08-2006 07:24 AM

ok, just a bit more info; I was too tired to deal with this last night. This is the process I have started on the index Reorganization. We are in Phase I:

Phase I - Splitting the Index into "essential" and "optional?" Your choices or ideas would be of help here (I don't want to be dictator). :ear

Phase II - Reformatting the Index into a more logical format; my current idea is to organize the posts based upon components (wheels, suspension, chassis, cockpit and controls, bodywork, and other?). Your ideas would be of great help to me. :ear

Phase III - Beautification of the Index. This is an optional phase, one that may take some time. But I was considering improving the index to make it more pleasurable to use (no Loaded, no pron...). This may include embedding URLs into text, and other eye candy. Again your input would be of great help. :ear

meat popsicle 01-23-2006 08:50 PM

Draft Phase II is up - please visit the index and give me some feedback! :deal

I would like to thank a little birdy :smooch for the scatergories to start with - I have modified them to help me in my reorganization (combined some, widened others, detailed...).

:lurk

creeper 01-23-2006 09:01 PM

Works great with a "Ctrl F" search.

Terrific organization, very easy to find a general subject and the desired subcatagory.
To bad it would be a major bitch to throw a synopsis on each running thread title... that would be the ultimate index.

Never the less... the effort you've put in to this is way above and beyond.

Thanks Meat... it's a real gold mine of good info for the user.

Creep

creeper 01-23-2006 09:07 PM

Pokin around a bit. Found what appears to be a duplication.

Quote:

2. Carburetion, Exhaust and Other Highly Contested Subjects

2.a Discussions

Other Exhaust Threads
urls 2 and 4 go to same thread... I think.

meat popsicle 01-23-2006 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
Pokin around a bit. Found what appears to be a duplication.

urls 2 and 4 go to same thread... I think.

Thanks creeper, I will fix that.

I have mentioned the "Ctrl-F" function to quite a few folks but they still have a hard time finding stuff. What's the ole' saying? "you can lead a horse to beer, but ya can't make him pay." :scratch

Perhaps synopsi would be helpful... perhaps... was that in Phase III? Depends on my definition of "beautification" :lol3

Just recently an inmate said that they couldn't find any threads in the index on setup (standard mods, wish list kinda stuff I think)... not even a section that contained them; just here and there snippets. I am sure there is a section and there are a few threads (there have been quite a few started)! I guess I could check, but not tonight.

EDIT: just a peek:

LC4 Setup Threads

:doh

creeper 01-23-2006 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Thanks creeper, I will fix that.

I have mentioned the "Ctrl-F" function to quite a few folks but they still have a hard time finding stuff. What's the ole' saying? "you can lead a horse to beer, but ya can't make him pay." :scratch

Perhaps synopsi would be helpful... perhaps... was that in Phase III? Depends on my definition of "beautification" :lol3

Just recently an inmate said that they couldn't find any threads in the index on setup (standard mods, wish list kinda stuff I think)... not even a section that contained them; just here and there snippets. I am sure there is a section and there are a few threads (there have been quite a few started)! I guess I could check, but not tonight.

EDIT: just a peek:

LC4 Setup Threads

:doh

Set up? I think the entire Index qualifies as "set-up". What works for one person may not be practical, cost effective, useful for the region etc. etc. for another person.
Horses for courses and all that shiz.

In no particular order... Tires, suspension, muffler, rejet, air box, seat, GPS, luggage, risers, grips, oil, filters, tubes, chains, bearing upgrade, sprockets, chain tension, footpegs, damper adjustments, air pressure, rim locks, grease, brake pads, side stands, center stand EZ-Ups, hydraulic clutches, lighting, service, maintinance, leak repair, more leak repair... shall I go on?

Pick something from the list... you probably have a thread (or five) on the subject.:D

itsagas 01-23-2006 10:04 PM

Nice job

Well done Meat,
your layout is logical and well organized.
Thanks for your efforts and those of your loyal contributors.
itsagas

meat popsicle 01-24-2006 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
Set up? I think the entire Index qualifies as "set-up". What works for one person may not be practical, cost effective, useful for the region etc. etc. for another person.
Horses for courses and all that shiz.

In no particular order... Tires, suspension, muffler, rejet, air box, seat, GPS, luggage, risers, grips, oil, filters, tubes, chains, bearing upgrade, sprockets, chain tension, footpegs, damper adjustments, air pressure, rim locks, grease, brake pads, side stands, center stand EZ-Ups, hydraulic clutches, lighting, service, maintinance, leak repair, more leak repair... shall I go on?

Pick something from the list... you probably have a thread (or five) on the subject.:D

Can you? :evil No, no, no, just playin'. Reasonable arguments creeper. By the way, you said "oil"... :uhoh i was kinda surprised that the first thread in the index ended up being OIL! But there it is... :lol3

Thanks for the compliment itsagas. But just for clarity's sake, very few people actually 'contribute' directly to me. Those that do are much appreciated and a few contribute greatly. :smooch Just wanted that said so folks could understand that this can be more of a group project with group participation :deal

meat popsicle 05-20-2006 08:44 AM

Major update to the index. Plenty of threads being requested are now indexed. Sorry about the delay.

The organization changes that I wanted to add did not get completed so... they shall wait. Feedback requested, particluarly on Part II organization (or lack thereof). The most interesting recent feedback was from sycamore, who said that the index is a blend of logic and intuition that may or may not be good... that is the kind of feedback I need, perhaps a bit more fleshed out. :ear

meat popsicle 07-22-2006 08:17 PM

I am soliciting nominations for links to move from Post #1 to #2. I am about to dig deep, and really make some changes. It would be nice to have some suggestions. :deal

Thanks,
MP

Sycamore 07-23-2006 12:20 PM

I was going to suggest a move of an item from Post #2 to Post #1...

Under "Notorious Bikez" there is a section called "External Links The Flanimals' Beast" and then just below that, "And the legendary Jetting Guide" - I found that guide to be more essential than optional, but maybe that's just me (at the base end of the carb learning curve) ...
Anyway I tried the links to the jetting guide and they both seem to be dead links now. The deadness may be temporary (comatose links) but anyway if you want the pdf version of the jetting guide for re-posting I downloaded it a while back. I could email it to you if needed.

Well, that's a very minor point - the major point is that you've done an amazing job with that index, and well done. I still can't quite comprehend the amount of information there.

Sycamore 07-23-2006 12:27 PM

About searching....
I've been stuck many times with the "not-less-than-4-letters" search limitation on ADvRider (KTM, KLR, BST, 640, LC4, 12v, CTB, etc) until I discovered quite an obvious solution:
When you go to "advanced search" on Google, you can get google to search only a particular website - just type in advrider.com.
Google accepts 3-letter searches, and is fast and accurate. Problem solved.

meat popsicle 07-23-2006 08:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback Sycamore, and the compliment! There is a copy of Flanny's jetting guide in my Yahoo briefcase. Since Flanny's links are dead for the time being I should probably make that more apparent.

I also use the Google site switch to search this site. Perhaps I should add a direct link to that primer?

USE GOOGLE TO SEARCH ADVRIDER add your three letter search terms :deal

Although only 219,000 hits; is that all we got? I thought there was more between that storming norse fella and the tubby britany thread alone. :lol3

warewolf 07-23-2006 11:48 PM

Thanks, Meat, for the (bleep)ing indexing work, and to all the other contributers.

A couple of quick thoughts:
  • In terms of organisation/order, follow the KTM manuals? That is, split engine/chassis matters as they do, and use the same order...assuming KTM is consistent between years and models in their printed matter.
  • This is the internet, grasshopper! We aren't restricted to one ginormous index. For example, how about a "n00b's index" with simple stuff like the basic setups, Flanny's carb guide, some of the obvious n00b questions that crop up. It can have stuff culled from the full index, or even simply be the full index with everything not wanted cut out of it, so edit time is reduced and it retains the same look'n'feel.
  • If the index gets too big, each section can be a smaller separate post, with an "index index" listing links to each post.
Anyway, like I said, some quick thoughts. Feel free to tell me they suck! :D

I'm definitely keen for the thread title to be used as the text of the hyperlink: KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index is much less user-hostile than http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958. That in itself would likely alleviate some of the I-looked-in-the-index-but-couldn't-find-it pleas for help.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:46 PM.