ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ride reports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NewYears Day ride; Hood River, Oregon (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145)

RedMenace 12-30-2001 05:13 PM

NewYears Day ride; Hood River, Oregon

1 Attachment(s)
Just talked with Ed. We will leave his house around noon Jan 1, 02, play for as long as it is fun and drop off the ridge to my house for a bonfire and hot drinks. If you want to join us get in touch for details.
I was up on the ridge Friday and it was great. About 1 1/2 feet of snow at the deepest, but trucks had been thru there so trail had been broken and it was easily passable. Very pretty up top with the trees all encased in frost.

Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 4:40 PM
Subject: New Years Day Ride

> I think I will make a token ride New Years Day. Leave Hood River around NOON
> am and Loop up the Old Dalles Road, over Huskey and drop off the ridge back
> down to my house on Neal Creek Road. Set off a bonfire once I get home too
> warm up. Dirt or snow roads, probably go up to near 3000' depending on the
> snow situation. May bail to Eastside Road and home for fire and hot drinks
> if it is storming.
> Anyone care to join me?
> Vernon
>
>
(attached picture from ridge above my house last January)

Tracker 01-01-2002 09:37 AM

Great picture Vernon! Is Hood River under the clouds, in the valley below ? Looks like your sidehack gets around pretty good in the snow, is the hack wheel driven ? Tracker

RedMenace 01-01-2002 10:57 AM

NewYearsDay ride(hi Tracker)

1 Attachment(s)
The valley obscured by clouds IS Hood River Valley; my house is to the left behind the hills in the foreground, the town of Hood River is to the right.
The Tiger is not TWD but does OK in the snow. More pics in the Triumphs Velvet Tiger forum, Dual Sport Sidecar and Two Wheel Drive threads.
Leaving soon on the New Years Day ride. the weather has changed to cold hard rain. It looks pretty dreary out there, so it may be a short run:):

RedMenace 01-01-2002 07:56 PM

Just four of us in two sidecars went for the ride. Hard rain turning to freezing rain. about 3 1/2 hours, 45 miles or so. Got to within about five miles of my house and were stopped by a downed tree. Tried to pull it out of the road with Ed's rig and a chain, but just dug a hole with the Ural. Had to turn around and go back. Dropped out of the mountains to the East and took the freeway back from Mosier. Front wheel packed with snow and way out of balance. Got pretty weird for a few minutes when I got on the freeway and cranked it up to 70- the snow sort of exploded in big chunks from the spokes and the wheel eventually balanced itself.
Will post pix in a couple of days if they turn out.

Baldy 01-01-2002 09:39 PM

GREAT PICS, RedMenace!!! Very, very fine. :cool:

I think so much of them I placed one where I can admire it every day. Gotta get that Photo Hall of Fame upgraded.

Nice ride too.

Marc 01-02-2002 07:58 AM

Strong work, Baldy. Saw that picture and ride report yesterday and was blown away by the snow-riding. I guess a side car is just about the only way to deal with the snow and ice... Menace & Co., you guys are hard-core.

Marc

RedMenace 01-02-2002 06:49 PM

1~1~02

1 Attachment(s)
Stopped at the top of the Old Dalles Road to chain up. These guys stood around and kibbutz'd while I froze my fingers. Ed had a pipe to celebrate the fact that his Ural has two wheel drive and doesn't need chains

RedMenace 01-02-2002 06:52 PM

1~1~02

1 Attachment(s)
the snow started to get deep on Elder Road. The rain was very cold.

RedMenace 01-02-2002 06:55 PM

1~1~02

1 Attachment(s)
Uncle Blasto and Mike(MrHappy;-) round a bend on Elder Road, as the rain turns from merely cold to freezing. THis is just before the section I refer to as "the luge".

Rad 01-02-2002 06:56 PM

You guys are insane

Ya really gotta love guys like that!

Love the pics!

RedMenace 01-02-2002 06:59 PM

1~1~02

1 Attachment(s)
Even tho the weather was truly miserable, the woods were very pretty

RedMenace 01-02-2002 07:04 PM

1~1~02

1 Attachment(s)
Stopped at the junction of Elder Road and Huskey, to let Uncle Blasto and Mike catch up. The chains made all the difference in the world

RedMenace 01-02-2002 07:07 PM

1~1~02

1 Attachment(s)
Here they come...

RedMenace 01-02-2002 07:10 PM

1~1~02

1 Attachment(s)
UncleBlasto and Mike didn't try to hide how they felt about the ride so far...

RedMenace 01-02-2002 07:16 PM

1~1~02

1 Attachment(s)
After a couple hours we came across an insurmountable obsticle. Bummer! we were only a few short miles from my house qand it was all downhill! We tried to tow it out of the road - it didn't even budge. We tried to go around it. I think with four of us pushing the Ural may have made it, but the snow was above my knees in some places. No way the Tiger could get thru. I suggested Uncle Blasto douse it with gas from his spare jerry can, but we were running out of fun by that time...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:28 AM.