ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   what kind of tire repair kit to carry? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124391)

mooch 03-11-2006 05:01 AM

what kind of tire repair kit to carry?

I am trying to decide on a repair kit to carry with me on my GS. My worry is that I will be on some dirt road in the middle of the woods and get a flat. I would like to have some type of plug kit to plug it and get home without removing the wheel or tire. there are many kits out there but I thought some advice from experience as to what works and what doesnt would be nice.

thanks

frewhl 03-11-2006 07:36 AM

both of my gs' came with stock plug kits

but i like the waxy rope ones from the auto parts store

fortrider 03-11-2006 08:42 AM

Tire repair kit

We sell and use the Stop and Go. One of the easiest to use and most efficent ways to seal a hole. None better I feel. Get an old tire and just try to use the BMW kit. Then try the Stop an Go. That should convince you before you are on a trail or a dark road at night cursing what BMW calls a tire repair kit. Don't forget some CO2 cartridges or a nice handy pump for reinflating the tire.
Steve
Beemers & more
Motorcycle
Works
Fort Collins, CO:clap

Crush 03-11-2006 02:04 PM

Safety Seal.
Safety Seal.
Safety Seal.
Safety Seal.
Very easy to plug a tire and it WON'T LEAK!
Try it, you won't be dissapointed!

Zodiac 03-11-2006 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by se1200gs
We sell and use the Stop and Go. One of the easiest to use and most efficent ways to seal a hole. None better I feel. Get an old tire and just try to use the BMW kit. Then try the Stop an Go. That should convince you before you are on a trail or a dark road at night cursing what BMW calls a tire repair kit. Don't forget some CO2 cartridges or a nice handy pump for reinflating the tire.
Steve
Beemers & more
Motorcycle
Works

What he said - stop and go is worth it, nice piece of quip.

NJ Moto 03-11-2006 05:02 PM

I have this one under the seat.

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/IN...bCategory=kits

raysuf 03-11-2006 06:56 PM

I have the common rope plugs. Unfortunately I had to use one recently on a new tire. :cry

flars 03-11-2006 06:56 PM

Pluggers

I carry two - Dyna Plug, which has pretty thin ropes, and has a very small tool for inserting them, and Safety Seal, which has the big ropes, and a big insertion tool :huh . I tried the Safety Seal system on an old tire, and it works really well. The Dyna Plug has gotten good reviews in the past, but since it only comes with 4 plugs, I didn't waste one on testing it...but since it ain't rocket science I feel it would do a good job on a small hole... Now why do I suddenly feel so excited :evil ?

Lone Rider 03-11-2006 08:02 PM

I suggest doing a 'search' as there have been many, many threads on this subject, and with hundreds of opinions given.

One retailer talks stop-n-go, another rider echos the same.

Many others have had poor realtime experiences with that same product.

I carry gooey strings, HD patches for the inside of a tire and an air source.

Whammo 03-11-2006 08:25 PM

NOT one size fits all....

I was 5 for 5 with the Stop and Go. Swore by it and never left without it on a trip. Then I had a very annoying day in Utah where the plug kept snapping off...apparently the hole was too small, even after enlarging the hole. Went thru 4 plugs that day. Finally, with a dead flat at 10:45 on the ET Hwy, I busted out the BMW kit. Since I'd never used it, I had to find the English Drrrections (great trip planning, right?). Guess what...first try, it held all the way to Sacramento where I had the tire changed. I'll probably still carry the S and G along with the stock kit, and have added this to my kit for the next trip.

http://www.gemplers.com/pix/prod/P134083.jpg
Oh, and dont forget the 12V compressor.

Josh

marchyman 03-11-2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooch
I am trying to decide on a repair kit to carry ...

Don't limit yourself to a single kit. I carry about 2 and a half kits. The BMW kit is OK for very large holes. If the hole isn't large you have to make it large for the BMW plugs to fit. For that reason I also carry one of the progressive suspension kits. The plugs that come with the progressive kit are good for medium size holes. For thin holes the rope plugs are reported to be good.

On trips I carry an air pump, for around town (when the cases are in the garage) I only carry the CO2 cartridges... about 6 of them. Also, make sure you aways have a fresh, unopened tube of goop. Once a tube has been opened throw it away as it will be hard as a rock the next time you go to use it. I typically ride with 2 tubes. All of this takes up about 1/2 the space in my under tail rack bag for the R12GS.

Regarding the stop-n-go plugger. I've not used one myself but have had friends who have had to plug the same hole many, many times before they could get to a place to swap tires.

// marc

NJ Moto 03-11-2006 08:47 PM

More info...

For your reading pleasure,
http://motorcyclistonline.com/escape...3_0444_repair/

NJ_Bob 03-14-2006 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by se1200gs
Steve
Beemers & more
Motorcycle
Works

Ditto. I carry both the Stop & Go and the original BMW kit - just in case.

I have used the Stop & Go several times, and have had no trouble. I suspect that either the plugs are installed improperly or there may be some steel belts involved in the reported failures.

Practice using it.

You don't want the first time to be when you are on that dark road at night.

Just before you are going to replace a tire, drill a hole or drive a nail into it (after relieving the pressure so you don't get hurt) and practice plugging it.

GSPD750 03-14-2006 04:18 AM

Rema Tip Top

For a quality product I would recommend Rema Tip Top from Germany. Standard issue for BMW bikes. At least they were on my gspd. Not sure what the new bikes get nowadays. Do they even get one?

http://www.wallbike.com/tires/jpgs/patch.jpg

usgser 03-14-2006 05:18 AM

FWIW I carry(haven't needed yet...knock on wooden head) the Safety Seal kit and an Airman Sparrow compressor. Both small tidy packages. My reason for this choice was that's what Adventure Workshop sells and uses and I trust Andrew's(the owner) opinion on things like this. AdvWorkshop has a pretty good reputation here on this forum. But plugging a hole in rubber isn't exactly rocket science so I'm sure it's not the "only" good kit out there though.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:42 PM.