ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KTM Adventure-lowering the suspension internal mods (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130855)

bmwktmbill 04-11-2006 08:36 PM

KTM Adventure-lowering the suspension internal mods

Hello everyone,
My suspension is in a pile and I am ready to tear into it to drop the seat height 2-3 inches by internally modifying the suspension.
Anyone done this? Advice? I tried lowering links but was not happy with the results.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI.

holycaveman 04-11-2006 09:01 PM

For the shock, There is a couple of ways to do this. The easiest way is add a cushion behind the base valve. This will cause the shaft to ride further up in the shock body. I would only go no more than an inch though.

bmwktmbill 04-11-2006 09:16 PM

Cave,
An inch just doesn't get it. I am 5'10 and travel with a hundred pounds of gear. I hate it when the damn machine falls on me. I gotta get both feet on the ground.
Bill in Hatchet Creek, WI

ErrinV 04-12-2006 01:51 AM

What didn't you like about the lowering links? I've just lowered my bike just under 2 inches using the Kouba Links and am pretty happy. I also slid the forks up and put on a lower seat. Now I can comfortably put a foot down. I haven't noticed any drawbacks of having less clearance yet, but maybe I will. :dunno

I'll follow this thread to see if there's a better way to lower it.

Errin

Surly 04-12-2006 06:37 AM

Links

I have a set of Kouba links in my tool box if you want to try them out
PM me your address and I will send them to you

I used them on my Baja trip because the bike felt scary tall with the bags. Dont use them any more tho'

KenR 04-12-2006 07:00 AM

I just had my suspension revalved and resprung. My suspension guy was suprised to find that the Adventure already had spacers in the fork and shock to lower it, installed from the factory. He said without them, the bike would probably be 2" taller - stock!

I wonder if those spacers could simply be made longer to lower it more?

Arch 04-12-2006 07:06 AM

Guys, even with just over an inch of lowering, if running knobbies, an LC4 Adventure will bottom hard on big hits. The suspension also works differently because you're already into where the linkage thinks bumps are. I ran the links for a while and then swapped things back after a big desert ride. 'Course, for casual dual-sport usage it won't be much of a problem, but be advised that your suspension will change, and if you're pounding offroad and/or a bigger rider, your knobs will meet your inner fender.

I'd contact Boejangles for a custom scooped out seat instead. :thumb

meat popsicle 04-12-2006 08:51 AM

So my bike could be 2" taller?!? :evil

Arch, it was my understanding that the WP suspension could be upgraded to suit the rider and their style practically 'without limit'. If a top shelf mountain bike suspension can be setup to absorb 60' drops (I assume or an MX suspension), then ours should be able to be resprung/revalved to accomodate much without bottoming out.

Perhaps I read your post wrong?

ErrinV 04-12-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch
I ran the links for a while and then swapped things back after a big desert ride.

I'd contact Boejangles for a custom scooped out seat instead. :thumb

So did you end up lowering your 640 differently, or is it just stock now? Besides a seat, what are the better ways to lower the bike?

Errin

Buckster 04-12-2006 10:51 AM

Bend the swing arm and fit a 16" rear wheel.

meat popsicle 04-12-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster
Bend the swing arm and fit a 16" rear wheel.

That only works on those poser-Aprilia bikes mang. :amazon

Arch 04-12-2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
So my bike could be 2" taller?!? :evil

Arch, it was my understanding that the WP suspension could be upgraded to suit the rider and their style practically 'without limit'. If a top shelf mountain bike suspension can be setup to absorb 60' drops (I assume or an MX suspension), then ours should be able to be resprung/revalved to accomodate much without bottoming out.

Perhaps I read your post wrong?

I'm sure the shocks can be made to work shorter, but this ain't about the shock. As with lowering links, a shorter shock changes where your linkage thinks the wheel is in its travel. Remember that it isn't linear. All I know is that on mine, the suspension was more willing to compress with the lowering links in place. I adjusted the shock to fight it, but the thing never felt the same. Always felt like I was into its travel, if that makes any sense. Not horribly so, but I wanted to stop the knobs ripping into the bike's undersides anyway, so I went back to stock.

Again, with dual-sporty tires like stock Saharas, it's probably no worries. Ditto on the rear suspension's travel. For a 90/10 street/dirt LC4, it's probably no worries. I rarely even ride mine outside of the rough stuff, though, so I want all the travel it was built with.

Arch 04-12-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErrinV
So did you end up lowering your 640 differently, or is it just stock now? Besides a seat, what are the better ways to lower the bike?

Stock height, you just get used to it. Sidestand makes for easier dismounts in full gear, btw. I wanna get a Boejangles seat for it, but spare pennies are few. If I ever do, I'll just have him scoop it out a bit. But like I said above, lowered might work well for you. Just depends on how the bike gets used. I'd take up Surly on the offer to try out the links. :thumb

warewolf 04-12-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch
the suspension was more willing to compress with the lowering links in place. I adjusted the shock to fight it, but the thing never felt the same. Always felt like I was into its travel, if that makes any sense.

Which lowering links did you use? That is, how much lower?

With the Emig 28mm (1.25") links and the forks pulled through 25mm, my bike is easier to handle on the street. I'd like to do some back-to-back testing in off-road conditions versus standard. Even lowered it is too tall, so I'm wondering if I'll really notice that extra inch when man-handling the bike. If not, it might be better to have the suspension all standard for better handling on-the-move when seat height isn't an issue.

Arch 04-12-2006 03:07 PM

1.25"

http://arch.smugmug.com/photos/22501-M-1.jpg

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:27 AM.