ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Any way to check service bulletins (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131030)

rightsideup 04-12-2006 03:25 PM

Any way to check service bulletins
 
Given that I no longer have a dealer near me is there any way I can check which service bulletins have been applied to my bike - anyone here in a position to check VIN numbers?
I've got a nasty feeling that my head gaskets are letting go and I'd like to check whether the head washer updates been applied.

BLUE(UK) 04-12-2006 03:45 PM

Email/call KTM UK who should help if you explain the situation as to what you have ended up with since some dealers may be funny about issuing info if they haven't had business from you before.

arjay 04-12-2006 04:07 PM

That's make a great sticky
 
I don't know more than the previous poster, but I think it'd make a great sticky. As service bulletins are released, they could be added to the thread.

arjay

AntWare 04-12-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjay
I don't know more than the previous poster, but I think it'd make a great sticky. As service bulletins are released, they could be added to the thread.

arjay

A fellow inmate ran them on his server for a while but ended up getting his wrist slapped by KTM about a year ago.

Service bulletins are propriertory internal documents intended to be used by KTM trained technicians...or something like that...so their lawyers said.

In this day and age, it's understandable...I guess we've made our own bed, now we get to lie in it. :wink:

arjay 04-12-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant Ware
A fellow inmate ran them on his server for a while but ended up getting his wrist slapped by KTM about a year ago.

Service bulletins are propriertory internal documents intended to be used by KTM trained technicians...or something like that...so their lawyers said.

In this day and age, it's understandable...I guess we've made our own bed, now we get to lie in it. :wink:

Oh...sorry, didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Nillbymouth 04-13-2006 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUE(UK)
Email/call KTM UK who should help if you explain the situation as to what you have ended up with since some dealers may be funny about issuing info if they haven't had business from you before.

email robert.brown@ktm.co.uk and he might be able help. I had a minor issue since Motocal (the dealer) closed and emailed him. He has gone well beyond what I expected KTM to do.:clap I don't want to go into details as Rob might not want me to but I am a very happy KTM customer.

rightsideup 04-13-2006 04:44 AM

@Nillbymouth
Thanks, I've fired off an email so we'll see how it goes.

airwater 04-13-2006 01:59 PM

When to action
 
What is the official word on these service bulletins. Are they supposed to ALL be implemented or only those where your bike is experiencing an issue? My bikes warranty is up in 12 days so I need to get any last bits done if the are needed!

Alan

tjls 09-06-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant Ware
Service bulletins are propriertory internal documents intended to be used by KTM trained technicians...or something like that...so their lawyers said.

This might be the case in the UK, but I am pretty sure that, in fact, such a corporate posture is illegal in the USA under the Magnusson-Moss warranty act's provisions about availability of all service parts and documentation to third parties (in the US, companies cannot require you to use their authorized dealers for service, whether warranty service or not). Without any silly saber-rattling, I think I will call KTM USA tomorrow and ask them to send me all the service bulletins relevant to my '06 950 and summarize them here.

1stiski 09-06-2006 12:56 PM

luck
 
If you have ANY luck in finding out if KTM usa will give that info to their customers, let me know. I find that especially if a vehicle is OUT of warranty, that this info should be freely accessed, hell, have a web site and owner authorization access. Their are companys who offer that sort of service online now. It would be nice.

cjracer 09-06-2006 01:06 PM

I haven't tried this yet on mine, but maybe this will work.

Good Luck.

http://www.ktmusa.com/213.20.html

Beer 11-24-2008 11:36 PM

Hi,
Ive had a search; but I can't find a thread / post with all the recalls that should have been carried out beteen 04 and 08 on an 04 adventure I'm looking to buy. I was hoping to find a list so that I could check with the dealer and 'tick them off' so to speak

also the bikes done 30k miles; I presume that they are good for loads of miles yet!

any help greatly appreciated

Thanks!

mookymoo 11-25-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer
Hi,
Ive had a search; but I can't find a thread / post with all the recalls that should have been carried out beteen 04 and 08 on an 04 adventure I'm looking to buy. I was hoping to find a list so that I could check with the dealer and 'tick them off' so to speak

also the bikes done 30k miles; I presume that they are good for loads of miles yet!

any help greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Hey Beer, try PM CPModem... He'll give you the list

jsrider 11-25-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjls
This might be the case in the UK, but I am pretty sure that, in fact, such a corporate posture is illegal in the USA under the Magnusson-Moss warranty act's provisions about availability of all service parts and documentation to third parties (in the US, companies cannot require you to use their authorized dealers for service, whether warranty service or not).

I don't believe this is true. They can't force you to use their parts or labor for warranty-required work you have to pay for (i.e., if you don't change the oil we'll void the warranty). As I read it, though, they can control who/how the work is done for free warranty repairs. Specifically:

"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name"

Note the "other than article or service provided without charge".

rsuncloud 02-06-2012 03:54 PM

Service Bulletin updates?
 
I just noticed last comment on this thread was a bit ago
In the airplane world manufactures not only have to share this info they have to share it with everyone and it is kept in a searchable database at FAA
Maybe AMA could look into establishing this???
Bob


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014