ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   640Adv FCR Install ??? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134699)

AndyB 04-29-2006 06:43 AM

640Adv FCR Install ???

All right then getting an FCR39,(most riding done in the woods and very tight back roads so going for the grunt the 39 gives)
my last endo from a sputtering blubbering BST from hopping water bars that put me face first into the dirt and busted the bike pretty bad has happened. might still go over bars but not from a sputtering carb i hope.
So looking for the beta from someone who has succesfully installed one on a '02 640Adv. i don't mind the tinkering that might go along with the install, just want to have all the parts on hand to get it done right from the start.

...do i need longer cables? i've read several posts of this being a problem (under bar mounted emig stab. with i think a 1" rise) where do i get them? Motion Pro?
...seems i read in the index that there was a fit problem,... carb hitting the stock pipes??? (stock pipe currently with cored out S.tapp can, but replacing soon, prob. just the can if there is no fit prob. with stock pipe)
... Jetting? i ride 'bout 500'-4500' , and i know this will will change depending on pipe, so what sizes do i start with?
...what about the side cover/snorkel issue(currently, snork in/screened side cover)
..any other install i need to know abouts?...Mucho Thanks in advance..,AndyB

ktmnate 04-29-2006 07:34 AM

I'm not sure if the cables will fit but I have a Loadedagain 31.5mm rise with the Scotts stabilizer and no issues. It's a bit tight on the Decompression cable but it works. I wish I had the FCR. I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I might someday get that FCR and need setup info.

Nate

dzrtracin 04-29-2006 08:24 AM

Agreed

I would like to change up as well, i had my first episode last weekend on a stairstep hill climb, blubbering after every stair, not what ya want on a steep asent. Where ya at creep?

overlandr 04-29-2006 09:02 AM

I gather Boejangles had one on his 640 (now ex) with an Akrapovic setup. Don't know of anybody else out there with the setup but no doubt they are around. I'd be interested to know the jet/needle info as well. Perhaps there's something over on ktmtalk? :ear

Yellow Pig 04-29-2006 09:15 AM

Talk to Esteban. He's got one on his 99 LC-4. That thing rips!

2whlrcr 04-29-2006 11:59 AM

I put a FCR41 on my Duke and didn't have too many issues. The cable routing of the FCR was opposite from the Edelbrock that was on the Duke. Everything fit that Sudco sent, but it did require a little headscratching.

That carb made a HUGE difference in how the Duke ran. Much smoother, instant throttle responce and a big power gain. I'd do it again to my Adventure, if I wasn't so lazy.

Esteban 04-29-2006 06:24 PM

Ive out of the loop down here in San Miguel de Allende but here is my input.

I installed a 41 mm FCR about 10,000 miles and 3 years ago on my 99 640 lc4e. I am very happy with it. Here is my setup. (BTW, I live at 5500 feet and ride to 13,000 +)

138 main
OBEKR needle in middle position or one leaner.
45 pilot jet
squirt time at the minimum possible about 1.5 seconds if I recall correctly.

modified KTM EXC exhaust muffler with stainless screen in place.

16:42 final drive (I have a 17 inch rear wheel though)
Bike works fine from slow to fast speeds

will do all Colorado single track stuff with ease and still pull 100 + mph inidicated

Motion Pro cables SUCK.
I use stock cables and they work much better with less throttle resistance.
The bent piece of steel tubing on the Mikuni cables is not perfect though but can be slightly straightened for the FCR application. Careful though as it will crack. EVen cracked these cables are worlds better than the overly resistive (friction) MP cables I was sent by Sudco.

Carb is a tight fit, but not a problem. The accelerato pump chamber is close to the header but again not a problem. Install carb on slight angle to clear top frame tubes and header on bottom.

Hope that helps, Esteban

(Party time real soon)

ErrinV 04-29-2006 10:11 PM

Mine has the FCR 39. It was on the bike when I got it though so I don't know what the difference is. I understand it's the way to go, but I've never ridden another 640 so I wouldn't be able to you what kind of difference it makes. This bike does haul ass though! Here's the link for the original ad that may be of some help.

Good luck,

Errin

AndyB 04-30-2006 04:54 AM

Mucho Thanks

Hey Thanks to All for the replies, Very much appreciated. be making a call to Sudco on monday. still looking for some jetting suggestions for my altitude 500-4500' asl. Again Thanks for the info guys and will post with my results .....,AndyB

Nom de Guerre 04-30-2006 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyB
Hey Thanks to All for the replies, Very much appreciated. be making a call to Sudco on monday. still looking for some jetting suggestions for my altitude 500-4500' asl. Again Thanks for the info guys and will post with my results .....,AndyB

Let us know what the cost of the setup is after you speak with Sudco. I'm pretty happy with the stock BST, but you never know... :ear

ktmnate 04-30-2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErrinV
Mine has the FCR 39. It was on the bike when I got it though so I don't know what the difference is. I understand it's the way to go, but I've never ridden another 640 so I wouldn't be able to you what kind of difference it makes. This bike does haul ass though! Here's the link for the original ad that may be of some help.

Good luck,

Errin

ErrinV,
I didn't know you bought Vincent's 640. That's a nice bike. That bike also had the power now insert in the intake. He said it made a big difference.

Nate

ErrinV 04-30-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmnate
ErrinV,
I didn't know you bought Vincent's 640. That's a nice bike. That bike also had the power now insert in the intake. He said it made a big difference.

Nate

Hi Nate :wave.

Thanks it is a nice bike. A little bit more scuffed since I bought it. :dunno It does have the intake, but I've never ridden another 640 so I can't really compare.

You're coming down for the X2 ride right? Wish I could make it, but the wifey has plans for that day.

Errin

overlandr 05-01-2006 04:37 AM

Read a posting on ktmtalk advising to use identical jets etc between the 41 and 39. PM'd Vrago about this thread - maybe we'll get to find out some hard data!

ktmnate 05-01-2006 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErrinV
Hi Nate :wave.

Thanks it is a nice bike. A little bit more scuffed since I bought it. :dunno It does have the intake, but I've never ridden another 640 so I can't really compare.

You're coming down for the X2 ride right? Wish I could make it, but the wifey has plans for that day.

Errin

Yep, I'm comming down for X2. I was at the first LC4 tech day when Vincent installed the power now. He said it made such a big difference that he was glad he put it in. I think Passmore got one as well. It's somehting I have been considering. I will have to wait untill I get my '06 and start building.

Nate

Tim 05-01-2006 10:52 AM

I fitted a FCR41 to my bike. I used re-routed stock cables on mine and I have a Sommer under-bar mounting for my Scotts damper. Also reverted to the stock carb to head and carb to air-box rubbers after getting and using the KTM items from a 660 smc which comes with the FCR as OE, I found that they were much thinner rubber and split quickly. I am using jets from James Dean,
Pilot jet = 50,
Pilot air screw = 1 turn out (same as 100 pilot air jet),
Blue needle with clip on 4,
Fuel screw 1 1/2 turns out,
Main jet 172

Bike is jetted for sea-level, with KTM air-box door and full Akrapovic with baffle fitted.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:17 PM.