ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   BT45's or Avon AM26's for the street? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135181)

Window_licker 05-01-2006 02:48 PM

BT45's or Avon AM26's for the street?

As it looks like Im not going to be able to fit a 19" front to my 990 with ABS, i am looking for the best 21" for on-road only grip. Through plenty of digging the BT's and the Avons seem to get the best write-ups. Anyone tried both types, or give a subjective idea of improvement over the standard pirellis?

Cheers

jsrider 05-01-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Window_licker
As it looks like Im not going to be able to fit a 19" front to my 990 with ABS, i am looking for the best 21" for on-road only grip. Through plenty of digging the BT's and the Avons seem to get the best write-ups. Anyone tried both types, or give a subjective idea of improvement over the standard pirellis?

Cheers

Personally I think the standard Pirelli's are pretty great on the road.

KTMax 05-01-2006 10:56 PM

BT45's is the stickiest tire available in 21' Lloyd... Availability of a BT45 rear seems a problem in Europe. The Avon Roadrider is fairly new so not much info around on these yet.

But you haven't riden your own 990 yet I believe so I'd say give the stock Scorpions a good go first. They're good.

Window_licker 05-02-2006 12:39 PM

Richard

The Scorpions were good, but might as well go for as much grip as possible on those bicycle rims . Will change after my first service, UK winter is fast approaching :rofl

Window_licker 06-29-2006 02:21 PM

Quick update on the 21" wheel street rubber:

The Avon Roadrider Am26 front is superb, far superior than the oe pirelli's in the dry and especially the wet. Steering is slightly heavier , giving a more confidence inspiring feel of grip. The profile does seem slightly lower but I have not encountered any adverse handling or stability effects
Avon have told me the matching rear is due very shortly ( about july 06) so will give a further report when its fitted.
Overall, for my 990 the Avon is the road tyre to fit :freaky

bLaCk 8east 06-29-2006 04:02 PM

Those Avons are great - great grip. What are you currently running on the rear with the front avon ?

Window_licker 06-30-2006 03:21 AM

The standard Pirelli. The rear actually feels ok at the moment, but It would be nice if I noticed some improvement with an Avon rear

bLaCk 8east 06-30-2006 03:34 AM

Interested to know how they will hold up over time. The Avons - from what I can remember, would seem a bit softer than than the scorpions so might not last as long. Might try all avons next time if they release the rear.
Cheers.

rmaudsley 02-17-2007 07:07 PM

how many miles are the Avon AM26's lasting ?

codys 02-17-2007 08:30 PM

+1 on the pirelli scorps (stockers). I ran the bt-45's last fall . They lasted only 3k :cry with the bike moderately loaded with a good bit of high speed across southern Nevada.The Pirelli's on the way back held up nice with quite a bit of the same conditions. THe Bt's just don't have near the starting tread depth. THe grip was fine though on the bt-45's on highway 1 :evil and mt. st. Helens Rd. I'm gonna use the pirelli's for future road trips.

mcmann 02-17-2007 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The AM26 roadriders are holding up great on my 950 - - - not sure if I will spend the bucks for the 19" front - - - unless I can find a killer deal!

They definitely do look skinny :D

spsduc 02-18-2007 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsrider
Personally I think the standard Pirelli's are pretty great on the road.

I agree, I was going to do a 17" setup for my 990s, but I have just done a track day on the std scorpions and was very impressed. They got a bit squirmy when really pushed, but you shouldn't be going that hard on the road anyway!!! Apparently I was leaving black lines behind me on some of the corner exits! It wasn't spinning up as such, just laying done a bit of rubber. Very predictable. For serious track work obviously road tyres would be better, but for the road scorps are fine.
I have just scored a spare set of std wheels, which I will probably put a 606/ 908rr combo on for real adventuring and leave scorpians on the other wheels.
I have attached a photo of the rear tyre.
Cheers,

spsduc 02-18-2007 01:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spsduc
I agree, I was going to do a 17" setup for my 990s, but I have just done a track day on the std scorpions and was very impressed. They got a bit squirmy when really pushed, but you shouldn't be going that hard on the road anyway!!! Apparently I was leaving black lines behind me on some of the corner exits! It wasn't spinning up as such, just laying done a bit of rubber. Very predictable. For serious track work obviously road tyres would be better, but for the road scorps are fine.
I have just scored a spare set of std wheels, which I will probably put a 606/ 908rr combo on for real adventuring and leave scorpians on the other wheels.
I have attached a photo of the rear tyre.
Cheers,

And the front.

Dotbond 02-18-2007 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spsduc
And the front.

I was there. These pictures are for real. The show off was cruising past KTM525's on the straight at Levels Raceway sitting bolt upright tooting his horn!:rofl
But his ute driving skilz are questionable! :)

coyote 02-18-2007 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmaudsley
how many miles are the Avon AM26's lasting ?

I get ~6000 miles on mine; the front would go farther, but the rear goes away.

I did 8500 on the originals Scorpions, but I feel the reduction in mileage is well worth the cost in added road grip and stability. The Scorpion front felt vague, at times wanting to tuck on roads that had the tar worked to the surface (think roads in Nevada). I have not experienced this with the Avons.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:03 AM.