ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   TKC80 Life (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147377)

Mike D 06-23-2006 04:21 PM

TKC80 Life
 
On average, based on maybe 50% slab / 50% dirt, how many miles can I expect from a rear TKC80?

2volts 06-23-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D
On average, based on maybe 50% slab / 50% dirt, how many miles can I expect from a rear TKC80?

5,000+

Spanish Bob 06-23-2006 04:49 PM

Next time - do a search. third button from the right in orange that says search.

How long is a piece of string?

I dont mean to be rude, but have you any idea how many times tyre mileage questions get asked? 5000 for me also max but there are people here who can make them last millions of miles. fronts on average I get slightly less than 2 x that.

Too many variables, hard riding versus slow, high speed sections tend to de-knob knobblies.....its very hard to say you yourself will be your best gauge.

utahbeemer 06-23-2006 04:49 PM

Tire life
 
I bought a new set in march and by april 24 they were half wore out 1500 miles 80 road 20 dirt. It depends on the bike and the way you ride. 2004 R1150 GS Adv I now have a set of wheels for dirt and a set for road, expensive but it works.:clap

Mike D 06-23-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanish Bob
Next time - do a search. third button from the right in orange that says search.

How long is a piece of string?

I dont mean to be rude, but have you any idea how many times tyre mileage questions get asked? 5000 for me also max but there are people here who can make them last millions of miles. fronts on average I get slightly less than 2 x that.

Too many variables, hard riding versus slow, high speed sections tend to de-knob knobblies.....its very hard to say you yourself will be your best gauge.

Did 2 searches - First, TKC80 - Second TKC80 Mileage

Came up with 1,000 threads, none of which answered my question.

Next time - just ignore me - - that will take even less of your obviously precious time.

Sincerely sorry to have wasted it.............

Oh yea - and thanks for your answer, it does help.

YEM 06-23-2006 04:56 PM

. . . . DOH!! . . . .:rogue

Spanish Bob 06-23-2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D
Did 2 searches - First, TKC80 - Second TKC80 Mileage

Came up with 1,000 threads, none of which answered my question.

Next time - just ignore me - - that will take even less of your obviously precious time.

Sincerely sorry to have wasted it.............

Oh yea - and thanks for your answer, it does help.

My time isnt precious.

if you searched and found nothing then somebody should take the search engine and shoot it.

Also be careful of tyre pressures under inflation on road with TKCs means low mileage for sure.

If you do very high speeds (100+) the tyre will be a slick quick. Apart from high speed the tyre is very sensitive to acceleration and braking. That doesn´t mean ride slow, just that the knobs deform and cup with speed changes and the front for me at 8000miles for me is a random show of lumps.

Also if slab means straights they dont last long. If slab includes lots of bends they can last as long as a tourance, anakee or longer.

I find them very good in the wet and they warm up quite quickly.

Rad 06-23-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D
On average, based on maybe 50% slab / 50% dirt, how many miles can I expect from a rear TKC80?


Hi Mike

Search'n sometimes works and sometimes sucks, don't worry about ask'n. If we never asked the same questions again on this site we would have run out of topics 3 years ago:lol3


TKC life, there are some who will swear they get 5K +, I ran a lot of sets and I never did. After 1,500-2,000 the rear was no longer any good for dirt. I could run another 1,000 or so after that, but why. I bought a second set of wheels and mounted TKC's on one set and Tourances on the other. Took me about 15 min to switch 'um.

BTW, this was on an 1150 gs

If you have never run a set you should try them, they are a very nice tire dual sport tire. Good grip on the road and ok in the dirt if ya watch yur front traction in corners..

Spanish Bob 06-23-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad
Hi Mike

Search'n sometimes works and sometimes sucks, don't worry about ask'n. If we never asked the same questions again on this site we would have run out of topics 3 years ago:lol3


TKC life, there are some who will swear they get 5K +, I ran a lot of sets and I never did. After 1,500-2,000 the rear was no longer any good for dirt. I could run another 1,000 or so after that, but why. I bought a second set of wheels and mounted TKC's on one set and Tourances on the other. Took me about 15 min to switch 'um.

BTW, this was on an 1150 gs

If you have never run a set you should try them, they are a very nice tire dual sport tire. Good grip on the road and ok in the dirt if ya watch yur front traction in corners..

That 5k for me is down to legal markers,so as Rad says their dirt advantage left the building way before that at maybe half that. But it depends on on road use, if you do lots of curves the middle of the tyres stays good, if not its fubar long before 5k miles.

Andrew2 06-23-2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanish Bob
I dont mean to be rude, .

Why do it then:huh

Rad 06-23-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew2
Why do it then:huh

Why not:lol3

Andrew2 06-23-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad
Why not:lol3

Cause the guy was asking a reaonable question and was obviously offended by the smartarse reply.I've used the search and got sick of looking through every post with the word TKC in it trying to find an answer I was looking for

Rad 06-23-2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew2
Cause the guy was asking a reaonable question and was obviously offended by the smartarse reply.I've used the search and got sick of looking through every post with the word TKC in it trying to find an answer I was looking for

Relax; it's just the frick'n internet....Have some fun; it's almost the weekend:freaky

Andrew2 06-23-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad
Relax; it's just the frick'n internet....Have some fun; it's almost the weekend:freaky

It is the weekend here:thumb ,but I've got a friggin toothache:cry .
Seriously though I've got a thing about people being unnecessarily rude to others,don't see a need for it I guess.Have a good weekend anyhow,see ya:D

Lone Rider 06-23-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad
Hi Mike

Search'n sometimes works and sometimes sucks, don't worry about ask'n. If we never asked the same questions again on this site we would have run out of topics 3 years ago:lol3


TKC life, there are some who will swear they get 5K +, I ran a lot of sets and I never did. After 1,500-2,000 the rear was no longer any good for dirt. I could run another 1,000 or so after that, but why. I bought a second set of wheels and mounted TKC's on one set and Tourances on the other. Took me about 15 min to switch 'um.

BTW, this was on an 1150 gs

If you have never run a set you should try them, they are a very nice tire dual sport tire. Good grip on the road and ok in the dirt if ya watch yur front traction in corners..

I'll second this...

Max for me has been 3k, several times...and that's all she had to give.

I love the tire, but it doesn't make $ sense running many miles on road. Like Rad said, do try a set - impressive.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014