ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

TheYeti 09-26-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
hey, old school roadie question again... my kid's trek tx300. currently has a 52-42 front, he wants a lower gear, but his crank has the old campi style 144mm bolt pattern. he also wants his 52 front and i can't do anything about his 13-26 cluster (its durace uniglide). so I'm thinking a compact 110mm crank, maybe with a 52:36 or something. is that too extreme? I realize I might have to change his front derailleur to cover it (he has a old shimano 600, I have a 105 double that will just cover the 14 tooth spread). or should I try and upgrade him to a triple, like 52:42:33 or something ? I assume I'd need a longer BB for that to clear the crank stay?

You could proably put a 39 instead of the 36 it would give enough gear to climb with.

TheYeti 09-26-2010 07:09 PM

[quote=patch29]I might have a lead on something local. It's nice and not as expensive as a new rig. If I find I use it a lot I could see upgrading to a 2011 Big Dummy.

There is an xtracycle here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/class...ed_id=1885&v=8 for $275 the shipping might kill you though

Bimble 09-26-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Dumb shit Bimble and I do:

http://almanzo100.blogspot.com/

Completed the "Gentlemen's Ride" this weekend. 100+ miles of south eastern minnesota gravel and maybe 6k feet of climbing.

Massive flooding in the area deterred a few folks, but hey- that just bumps us up a few places on the finish list.

We did take the reroute around the water crossing. Waiting to see final results, but based on what we saw at the mid-point, we finished about midpack in 8 hours or so.

Thanks for coming down for the ride, man! I don't know about Kit, but I think we might have Bruce hooked on this sort of thing. :D

Guilty.

:D

I don't have time to write much as I'm wrapping up installing a new garage door opener, but I'll leave it at

one starts to form some opinions about what is what somewhere in the midst of a gravel century.

Great riding with you again, Askel. I can't quite think coherently about Almanzo 2011, but the idea is wafting about in my attic.

:freaky

patch29 09-26-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douf
Anyone run the Six Gap today? The ADV riding skills came in quite useful even though it was (theoretically) a road ride.

Douf

I may get there someday. I was going to start with a run up Brasstown Bald or Hogpen gap one of these day, or a century on the Silver Comet, would be nice to ride straight to Anniston and have a ride home. :D

Jeffy 09-26-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

psst? that post of my bike was for Jeffy in place of his hardtail for the sorts of trail riding he says he wants to do... he's in the east bay, about an hour from me here in scruz, so an in person sale would be doable. its definitely worth more than a 6-er of san diego pub brew.

Thanks for the offer but I'll probably hold off for now. I want to get this bike on the road then I'll see see where I want to go with it.

Cleaned the front derailer and the chain. The rear derailer was harder to clean as it's hard to get into it. I set the brakes and adjusted the cables. The front derailer works great. The rear one is almost there. I still need to adjust the cable. Probably won't remove the bars or the brifters to repaint them.

I'm getting closer to needing tires and tubes. Still going back and forth between semi-slicks and knobbies.

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NUT3v0pNW04/TJ...0/DSC_0037.jpg</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Specialized Rock Hopper</td></tr></tbody></table>

pierce 09-26-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffy
I'm getting closer to needing tires and tubes. Still going back and forth between semi-slicks and knobbies.

if you're gonna be riding single track in the steep oakland hills, you definitely want knobbies designed for XC/trail use. bring the bike to a bikeshop in oakland or berkeley or whatever and see what fits. 2.0 or 2.2 seems to be the sizes in new XC tires. I haven't bought a set in a few years, so I'm out of touch with whats current. I think I'm using Specialized Rockhopper on my Stumpjumper.

Jeffy 09-26-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

if you're gonna be riding single track in the steep oakland hills, you definitely want knobbies designed for XC/trail use. bring the bike to a bikeshop in oakland or berkeley or whatever and see what fits. 2.0 or 2.2 seems to be the sizes in new XC tires. I haven't bought a set in a few years, so I'm out of touch with whats current.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Chabot is only a few miles from here. I measured the gap in the chain stay and it looks like a 2.5 would be pushing it with knobs. No mud to deal with though. 2.0-2.35 should fit from what I've seen on other RH's of the same vintage. I don't want to spend too much, under $40. What difference does folding vs. wire make? I noticed a weight difference but is there anything else? I'm used to folding.

slackmeyer 09-26-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Chabot is only a few miles from here. I measured the gap in the chain stay and it looks like a 2.5 would be pushing it with knobs. No mud to deal with though. 2.0-2.35 should fit from what I've seen on other RH's of the same vintage. I don't want to spend too much, under $40. What difference does folding vs. wire make? I noticed a weight difference but is there anything else? I'm used to folding.

Lemme look in the garage tomorrow- I think I have just the tire you're looking for, for the rear anyway. It's some sort of smooth center trail tire for hardpack. It'll work great for chabot, at least until the rains start. You're on your own for fronts, but I run WTB velociraptors on my mt. bike (a hardtail) and like them, especially for the price.

slackmeyer 09-26-2010 11:29 PM

Alright, here's what I found in the garage- a kenda klimax lite 26*1.95 for the rear, and a WTB nanoraptor 2.1 for the front. Both in good condition, and they're both low rolling resistance kevlar bead trail tires. If you can come pick them up in berkeley, they're yours. But I wouldn't say no to a 6 pack of something good. . . .

pierce 09-26-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

folding tires can be folded up and carried as a spare. they cost more, and they are lighter. thats about it.

I'd go for a 2.2 then. maybe even the 2.0. fatter == heavier, slower.

Specialized Captain Sport looks like a great trail tire.
Conti Race King does too.

trailer Rails 09-27-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
The problem he's gonna run in to is that the brake levers he has are NOT v-brake compatible. :nah If you get some Tektro mini-vs or the new TRP CX9s you can run the same levers as a canti.

Otherwise? :nono

M

Thanks for the lesson. :deal Maybe you should read the rest of the discussion that was taking place. He is replacing his shifter/brake levers setup and has the opportunity to buy v-brake compatible levers.

trailer Rails 09-27-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

I have a 2001 "medium" Stumpjumper FSR Disk that I'm not using. I really need a longer "large". its got 4" of travel front and rear, hydraulic disk brakes, and is a pretty darn good mtn bike, mostly deore, 3x9. its got the fox float shock from before the 'brain'. Its all in good shape, never been beat on or jumped, and not really ridden that much. make me an offer.

Don't forget to mention that leaky rear shock. :lol3

trailer Rails 09-27-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Look at the specialized hardrock, they are cheep and pretty knobby. That way when you burn them off on pavement they will be cheep to replace. They might be an good option for you.

You don't need folding tires on that bike. The weight is not going to make all the much of a difference. Plus you will save a lot of money going with wire bead.

Mercury264 09-27-2010 09:46 AM

Having some issues with a friend's bike. I cannot get the seat stem (original - came with the bike) to stop slipping into the frame (sure there's a better way to describe it) no matter how tight I make the bolt. Actually, I've snapped a couple bolts trying to tighten them to stop the seat sinking.

Anything I can do to stop it ?

trailer Rails 09-27-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
Having some issues with a friend's bike. I cannot get the seat stem (original - came with the bike) to stop slipping into the frame (sure there's a better way to describe it) no matter how tight I make the bolt. Actually, I've snapped a couple bolts trying to tighten them to stop the seat sinking.

Anything I can do to stop it ?

Is it possible that it is the wrong size? It should fit snugly into the frame. They make seatposts in 0.2mm incrimination. If you dont want to buy a new post, you might be able to make a shim out of a beer can. Use a Fosters can or Sapporo can if you need a thicker shim.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:56 AM.