ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

HiTechRedneck 09-26-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum69

:huh

It's ok to hate you, right? Pimp 1x1, awesome trails, great scenery.....

Just what, exactly, don't you have, young man?

:wink:

Spicy McHaggis 09-26-2008 10:32 PM

Custom made (by me!) pr0n

http://spicymchaggis.smugmug.com/pho...19_S9Ysh-L.jpg

scorch 09-27-2008 12:00 PM

Anyone know anything about carbon framesets? Its the newest thing, i have never ridden one. This one guy crashed his Orbea bike and i picked it up from a trail, the damm thing was super light!! Incredible, id love to own something that light. I think he told me it was under 14 lbs!!

How would a carbon frame be for touring?

Oznerol 09-27-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum69
Right now I'm contemplating a full squish Intense 5.5 custom build and a Surly Karate Monkey 29'er hardtail for less than a quarter the price of the Intense. Decisions, decisions.

Have a look at the Karate Monkey–they ride really nicely. I own a Surly 1x1 right now and it is one of the nicest riding bikes I've ever owned and I'm not selling it :D

I've got a Karate Monkey that I haven't been riding much this summer, but love quite a bit. I bought it on eBay last December as a nicely-built 1x9, used the wheels and other bits as upgrades to my 29er hardtail, and built a new set of wheels to convert the Monkey to a fat-tire fixed gear for winter riding:

http://ericlorenzo.smugmug.com/photo...44_HFGCK-M.jpg

The rims I used for those wheels are Kris Holm mountain unicycling rims: Really strong, and 38mm wide. (The width was why I chose them -- everything I'd read about icebiking said that wide rims and low pressures were what you wanted.) Unfortunately they're also very heavy.

Shortly after I built those wheels, Salsa announced a 35mm wide rim, the Gordo. They'd be making a 29er version that would be much lighter than the Holms, and would have a nice bead lock that would probably make it possible to run even lower pressures. I started lusting after the Gordos right away, but they took forever to actually reach the market. I finally got a pair last week, and built them up right away.

I'm kinda excited about the new rear wheel, which is as versatile as the Karate Monkey itself: The hub is meant for singlespeed use, so it builds a strong nearly dishless wheel. But it has a narrow splined freehub. The idea is to run a splined cog and use spacers to adjust chainline, but there's also enough room for 6 cogs using 9-speed spacing. So I disassembled an 11-34 SRAM cassette, bought a 13t first position cog and lockring, and built myself a 6-speed 13-30 drivetrain:

http://ericlorenzo.smugmug.com/photo...78_YY9Eh-M.jpg

(And in the winter I'll probably get a cog drilled with a 6-bolt disc pattern, flip the wheel over, and run it fixed again.)

I've only got one ride on it so far, but loved it. 6 speeds doesn't seem like much of a compromise compared to 9, since the cogs I dropped saw little use. And after a summer spent mostly on FS rigs, there's something nice and precise about a rigid bike's handling. It's wearing fat 2.4 tires that I run at ~20psi. They feel sluggish on pavement, but on trails they're sweet. High-frequency chatter is pretty much gone, larger bumps are significantly muted, and there's oodles of traction.

LoJack 09-27-2008 02:52 PM

Oznerol, Nice ride, cool way to set it up. It's hard to beat a surly. Had a steamroller for a long time. Totally got bastardized over time, and as much as I like riding fixed, I liked it best with a Sturmey 3-spd and drop bars. I'm waiting for the Big Dummy to be available in my size, they sell out pretty quick.

My main ride right now has old road spacing (126mm) so I took a 7spd freehub body and put it on a newish wheel and 8 of a 9spd cassette fit on just fine. I guess they call it a 8of9on7.

Where was the photo taken. I lived in Somerville for five years.

Gummee! 09-27-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorch
Anyone know anything about carbon framesets? Its the newest thing, i have never ridden one. This one guy crashed his Orbea bike and i picked it up from a trail, the damm thing was super light!! Incredible, id love to own something that light. I think he told me it was under 14 lbs!!

How would a carbon frame be for touring?

Define 'touring.' :nod

If yer talking fast an light credit card stuff (ie: motel-ing it) they'd prolly do just great.

Loaded? Not so much. :nah

If yer talkin long day rides, carbon can be REAL hard to beat. :nod

HTH

M

Oznerol 09-27-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJack
Totally got bastardized over time, and as much as I like riding fixed, I liked it best with a Sturmey 3-spd and drop bars.

Soon you might be able to ride both fixed *and* 3-speed:

http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspo...r-3-speed.html

Quote:

Where was the photo taken. I lived in Somerville for five years.
The pic was taken at Great Brook Farm State park, out in Carlisle. (That area's also great for road biking.)

Most of my off-pavement riding is at Middlesex Fells, in Medford. One of the reasons I like the 6-speed setup on the Monkey is that it gives me enough range to ride to the trails and ride on the trails; I've seen 2-cog/2-chainring systems designed to do the same thing, but those seem clunkier than just having a derailleur, to me.

DoctorIt 09-27-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
Soon you might be able to ride both fixed *and* 3-speed:

http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspo...r-3-speed.html

Now that there is a clever idea. :nod

Can't wait to hear the first inmate experience with one.

dlearl476 09-27-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kv
Well the shoes really make a lot of sense as it's primarily my right foot; the same ankle that I shattered just over 3 years ago. I just checked the cleat and the bolts are far from my foot. One of the reasons I suspected it might be the saddle is that I thought the nerves for your legs and feet run down the inside of each leg. Someone with a better understanding of human anatomy will have to chime in on that one.

If anything, I have a tendancy to run my saddle just a bit on the short side. I know right away if I get one cranked up too high as I'll start rocking my hips.

Your Sciatic nerves leave your cord at the L4-5 level. Travel through your butt and down the back of your leg, split just above the knee into the peoneal, which runs on the outside of your leg and enervates the outside of your calf and the top of your foot, and sciatic, which continues along the back of your leg and enervates the bottom of your feet as well as controling most motor control.*

If you have compression on your cord in the L4-5 area, aggrevated by a new position in the saddle, it could very well cause numbness in your feet. I know because that's what caused my "drop foot" and I'm just getting back into riding, surgery + 6 weeks, to get my strength back.

IMO, FIRST STOP, Ortho surgeon for MRI. SECOND STOP, neurologist. I went the other way round and the neuro fucked around for 4 months where the Ortho surgeon told me he would have had me in surgery the next day. The consequences? After 4 months, it's probably going to take a year to get my feeling/strength back, IF I get it back at all.

GOOD LUCK.

* The crazy thing about nerves is that you could have an issue anywhere along that nerve that would cause problems.

kv 09-27-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlearl476

* The crazy thing about nerves is that you could have an issue anywhere along that nerve that would cause problems.

Thanks for the advice and that's what I was thinking; that there could be a problem someplace else causing the issue. I know that sometimes, if I turn my neck just the right way (wrong way :dunno), I get a dull sensation near my right shoulder blade.

I hope you get your strength back soon! After shattering my ankle, my doctor told me that it'd come back stronger than the other one. At the time, I had a really hard time believing him. Today it is in fact stronger, a lot stronger!

:thumb

dlearl476 09-27-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kv
Thanks for the advice and that's what I was thinking; that there could be a problem someplace else causing the issue. I know that sometimes, if I turn my neck just the right way (wrong way :dunno), I get a dull sensation near my right shoulder blade.

I hope you get your strength back soon! After shattering my ankle, my doctor told me that it'd come back stronger than the other one. At the time, I had a really hard time believing him. Today it is in fact stronger, a lot stronger!

:thumb

Strange enough, my left calf (the numb one) is about 1" larger in circumference than the right one. At least the muscles aren't atrophy-ing.

LoJack 09-28-2008 01:55 PM

"The pic was taken at Great Brook Farm State park, out in Carlisle. (That area's also great for road biking.)"

Cool, don't think I've been to Carlisle. I do like the Fells, though, and miss having trails I can easily ride to. Gotta love that orange trail. I heard that Sunrace is bringing back the fixed 3 speed. Can't wait!

JJ_008 10-02-2008 12:26 PM

I am looking at picking up an a decent hard tail MTB. I am looking at the Rockhopper, but another LBS has a Raliegh Mojave 8.0 and a Kona Cinder Cone that look pretty nice. The Kona is the most expensive, but it has Deore, hydraulic brakes, and a shock lock out. Anyone have nay experience with the Kona?

gambrinus 10-02-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_008
I am looking at picking up an a decent hard tail MTB. I am looking at the Rockhopper, but another LBS has a Raliegh Mojave 8.0 and a Kona Cinder Cone that look pretty nice. The Kona is the most expensive, but it has Deore, hydraulic brakes, and a shock lock out. Anyone have nay experience with the Kona?

Overall the bikes that Kona puts out are great values for the $$ I've got a Kona full suspension rig that I've had for years and I love it.

Raliegh is generally lower priced and not for a serious rider.

Specialized is... well just Specialized. Decent bikes, but generally a loooong top tube compared to other bikes of the same "size" Test ride each and see what you think.

RW ( Kona Fan )

kv 10-02-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_008

I just sold my Raleigh Mojave 8.0. It had nice components for the money but it was heavy. If the price is good and you're looking at the bike strictly from a recreational stand point, I don't think you can go wrong. If the Kona isn't too much more, it might be worth it considering you get the hydraulic brakes and a lock out. :dunno

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:46 AM.