ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   easier tire changes - milling stock rims or replacing? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151496)

jimmy2020 07-12-2006 08:38 PM

easier tire changes - milling stock rims or replacing?

I've heard that changing tires is real diificult on the 950. Any recommended upgrades to ease the process? I've heard of milling the stock rim or replacing with aftermarket rims.
Also is it needed on front and/or rear, or is one easy enough that no change is necessary.
Jim

idahoskiguy 07-13-2006 09:12 AM

The tires on the 950 are no harder to change than any other stuff walled off road tire on any other bike, they are not easy. If you have not done this in the past get someone to show you how and have the correct tools. It is something you should know how it do, and practice will give you the confidence to perform the task in the field, should the need arise.

Good Luck.

MookieBlaylock 07-13-2006 10:23 AM

i think a narrower sun or excel rear is way easier than trying with the stocker

katoosh 07-13-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idahoskiguy
The tires on the 950 are no harder to change than any other stuff walled off road tire on any other bike, they are not easy. If you have not done this in the past get someone to show you how and have the correct tools. It is something you should know how it do, and practice will give you the confidence to perform the task in the field, should the need arise.

Good Luck.

+1

There are many reasons to change rims, facilitating tire change is low on that list. I've broken bead on 950 rear tire rear tire using the famous kickstand method many times--always solo. It works like a charm.

"I've heard", or "I've read", are both great, but no replacement for experience. I'd definitely have a go at it before dropping many hundred dollars on a solution YOU may not need.

jhank 07-13-2006 02:44 PM

I'm in my 100 degree garage, swapping out the TKC's for the Scorps for some road ridin'. As I stand there catching my breath and cleaning the sweat off my glasses, it occurs to me that when the time comes and I do this in the dirt and rocks by the side of the road I'm gonna be risking some damage to the hubs and discs while wrestling with these monsters.

In the garage I'm kepping the hub ends and discs off the floor with some short pieces of 2x4. Anybody have recommendations for keeping the fragile bits from becoming to dinged up while on the side of the road?

Btw, the sidestand bead-breaking method works.

jsrider 07-13-2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhank
the sidestand bead-breaking method works.

I have a really, really stupid question: how do you put the bike on the sidestand with the rear wheel off? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't visualize this technique.

TipOver 07-13-2006 05:30 PM

Put on centerstand

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsrider
I have a really, really stupid question: how do you put the bike on the sidestand with the rear wheel off? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't visualize this technique.

You put the bike on the centerstand first then remove the wheel. Lay the wheel on the ground, deploy sidestand, carefully lean the bike so sidestand breaks the bead (don't forget remove the valve first). Do a search, there is a thread w/ photo's in the Orange Crush forum.

Mouse 07-13-2006 05:56 PM

i've added stuff on bead breaking to the links thread that is the first thread on this forum.

jsrider 07-13-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TipOver
You put the bike on the centerstand first then remove the wheel. Lay the wheel on the ground, deploy sidestand, carefully lean the bike so sidestand breaks the bead (don't forget remove the valve first). Do a search, there is a thread w/ photo's in the Orange Crush forum.

Got it. Thanks. I've read various references to this technique before but I've never seen an explanation or photo.

Poolside 07-13-2006 06:43 PM

<BR>
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhank
Anybody have recommendations for keeping the fragile bits from becoming to dinged up while on the side of the road?

Maybe a smaller diameter inner tube dedicated to the task? Try one an inch smaller than the wheel diameter. A tube will blow up pretty big without a tire around it. That should be enough clearance for the rotors and such.

- Jim<BR><BR>

Fred 07-13-2006 10:36 PM

Instead of fucking around with the sidestand, it's a tube tire ffs. All you have to do is either ride the bike or walk beside it while in first gear. The bead will break.

You guys never own dirt bikes before or what?

Mouse 07-13-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred
Instead of fucking around with the sidestand, it's a tube tire ffs. All you have to do is either ride the bike or walk beside it while in first gear. The bead will break.

nice one fred, you might own a dirt bike but you clearly don't own a 9x0.

The bead is one mother to break - I've ridden 30 miles fully laden with a flat rear at up to 40mph and it still didn't break the bead, spin the tyre etc etc

First gear walking beside it eh? I want photos!!!! :rofl

XTreme 07-13-2006 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred

Where's that can of WD40 you borrowed off me 5 years ago? And I want my Butler back as well!

Buckster 07-14-2006 01:51 AM

He may have a point but the speed needs to be up, I did 70 in the wet on the motorway on a flat reat tyre on a 640 and it broke the bead no problem.

VintageThumper 07-14-2006 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse
The bead is one mother to break - I've ridden 30 miles fully laden with a flat rear at up to 40mph and it still didn't break the bead, spin the tyre etc etc

So... Given that it's so damn hard to break the bead on these things, does removing that extra, bead supporting, ridge on the rim make it easier?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:42 PM.