ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Why Clean Your Bike (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164125)

meat popsicle 09-04-2006 02:22 PM

Why Clean Your Bike

Now I would not say that I am Mr. Clean. (leave him alone YFF!) I understand how easy it is to let cleaning slide; you could be riding right? Or how about a siesta in the hammock... it doesn't seem as important as chain tensioning or other periodic maintenance, but that is a mistake.

Why? Because cleaning your bike, and I mean thoroughly - get down on your hands and knees and try to get into all those places your fingers can't quite push the rag, or start disassembling until you can - like I was typing, a good cleaning will force you to thoroughly inspect your bike and you will see things that you would not ordinarily notice. Not only that, but a clean bike is much easier to check than a dirty one. Your detection rate will improve, once all that dirt is out of the way.

Here is my example, and start of a search for information on a potential issue. I was down on my knees, when I noticed what looked like oil spray directly behind my kick starter shaft. I got curious and layed down on my back and found this:
http://strong-clan.smugmug.com/photos/92929102-M.jpg
See it? No? :lol3 OK, how about a crop:
http://strong-clan.smugmug.com/photos/92929109-M.jpg

Yes, a drop of oil hanging from the bottom of my kick starter. :uhoh

So now, that I know there is a potential issue - leaking kick starter seal? - I can do something about it. If I had not been down there cleaning my bike I might have ended up with a bigger problem, which usually happens in BFE.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't notice, I am soliciting information on potential sources of that leak. I would think that the kick starter shaft is a likely culprit, so I cleaned it up thoroughly in order to monitor it.

Here is the assembly:
http://www.cyclehuttktm.com/Images/D...s/02584334.jpg

Two seals are listed:

Item #: 0760223270
SHAFT SEAL RING 22X32X7 BSL
Quanity On Diagram: 1
Cost Each: $7.25

Item #: 58038022000
CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-12X18X1,5
Cost Each: $1.50

CaptTurbo 09-04-2006 02:34 PM

It's a good thing your bike was dirty or that oil wouldn't have soaked into all that dirt making the problem easy to spot. Keeping your bike clean is just wreckless and irresponsible!

:poser

creeper 09-04-2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I am soliciting information on potential sources of that leak. I would think that the kick starter shaft is a likely culprit, so I cleaned it up thoroughly in order to monitor it.

Me - m - ories... like the cor - ners of my mind, misty water color me - m - ories... of the way we were.

motostyle 09-04-2006 06:24 PM

"Why? Because cleaning your bike, and I mean thoroughly - get down on your hands and knees and try to get into all those places your fingers can't quite push the rag, or start disassembling until you can - like I was typing, a good cleaning will force you to thoroughly inspect your bike and you will see things that you would not ordinarily notice. Not only that, but a clean bike is much easier to check than a dirty one. Your detection rate will improve, once all that dirt is out of the way."

I broke into a cold sweat when I read this. For a second, just a second in time, I was 17 again and my dad was yelling at me to clean my VW so i could see if any oil was leaking from somewhere new.

BlitzBike 09-04-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Now I would not say that I am Mr. Clean. (leave him alone YFF!) I understand how easy it is to let cleaning slide; you could be riding right? Or how about a siesta in the hammock... it doesn't seem as important as chain tensioning or other periodic maintenance, but that is a mistake.

Why? Because cleaning your bike, and I mean thoroughly - get down on your hands and knees and try to get into all those places your fingers can't quite push the rag, or start disassembling until you can - like I was typing, a good cleaning will force you to thoroughly inspect your bike and you will see things that you would not ordinarily notice. Not only that, but a clean bike is much easier to check than a dirty one. Your detection rate will improve, once all that dirt is out of the way.

Here is my example, and start of a search for information on a potential issue. I was down on my knees, when I noticed what looked like oil spray directly behind my kick starter shaft. I got curious and layed down on my back and found this:
http://strong-clan.smugmug.com/photos/92929102-M.jpg
http://strong-clan.smugmug.com/photos/92929109-M.jpg

So now, that I know there is a potential issue - leaking kick starter seal? - I can do something about it. If I had not been down there cleaning my bike I might have ended up with a bigger problem, which usually happens in BFE.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't notice, I am soliciting information on potential sources of that leak. I would think that the kick starter shaft is a likely culprit, so I cleaned it up thoroughly in order to monitor it.

Here is the assembly:
http://www.cyclehuttktm.com/Images/D...s/02584334.jpg

Two seals are listed:

Item #: 0760223270
SHAFT SEAL RING 22X32X7 BSL
Cost Each: $7.25

Item #: 58038022000
CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-12X18X1,5
Cost Each: $1.50

Welcome to the club...mine looks exactly like that but, you know why I ain't gonna fix it? Because if its leakin now when I barely ever used my kicker-- then it will just do it again after i fix it. Timing site glass weeps too.

meat popsicle 09-04-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
Me - m - ories... like the cor - ners of my mind, misty water color me - m - ories... of the way we were.

poopy schmoopy icky yick

- Mrs. Popsicle

Mr. Ray 03-25-2009 07:06 PM

this thread eluded me until now. It makes a lot of sense. I love it.

meat popsicle 03-25-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motostyle
I broke into a cold sweat when I read this. For a second, just a second in time, I was 17 again and my dad was yelling at me to clean my VW so i could see if any oil was leaking from somewhere new.

Since this thread got unearthed, I am quoting my favorite reply. :lol3

And while my fingers are rattlin' away, I might as well say one (other) thing that might contribute to lack of cleaning, and maybe maintenance too: The Disposable Culture.

bongodave 03-25-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Since this thread got unearthed, I am quoting my favorite reply. :lol3

And while my fingers are rattlin' away, I might as well say one (other) thing that might contribute to lack of cleaning, and maybe maintenance too: The Disposable Culture.

Great article, and well said. I've fixed so many things just by fiddling with them!

How many people do you know who will ditch a car when it starts to give them problems? It's like replacing it is a smarter move than fixing it. That's not always true. You can make a decent living buying appliances with just one little problem and reselling them.

Cubans are still driving cars from the 50s. A little care and some elbow grease go a long way.

Zerodog 03-25-2009 09:51 PM

Mine has that same drip. I need to do the deal myself. I believe mine is leaking from the little one inside the shaft.

meat popsicle 03-25-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerodog
Mine has that same drip. I need to do the deal myself. I believe mine is leaking from the little one inside the shaft.

You saw Creeper's link eh?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156231

ps - mine stopped or really, really slowed down all by it's lonesome... :scratch

plugeye 03-26-2009 04:38 AM

Why Clean Your Bike

Why Clean Your Bike

exactly

banshee8989 03-26-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Looks to me if you ride a KTM cleaning is essential.:D :D :D :D :D :lol3 . After 15 years of abuse on a Honda the thing has never sprung a leak.
:hide

But seriously cleaning and inspecting is important and not just on dirt bikes. I wish we could get cage drivers to do the same thing.

Grootseun 03-26-2009 05:34 AM

I had some intermittent Idling probs on my 06 Dakar. I decided to have a look see, couldn't see anything under the dirt :rofl

Cleaned the rocker cable thingy assembly (technical term) and voila problem solved.

Now the bike has to wait till sumthin else packs up before i clean it again... :wink:

meat popsicle 03-26-2009 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plugeyes
Why Clean Your Bike

exactly

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:04 PM.