ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   625 SXC new 18L tank/seat install (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189076)

snaggleXR650 12-14-2006 02:00 PM

625 SXC new 18L tank/seat install
 
1 Attachment(s)
I installed my 18L monster gas tank on my '04 KTM 625 SXC. Fit's great, works with the LC4 KTM radiator fan and the comfort seat is, well, comfy. Filled to the brim it holds 5.2 gallons, which is more like 20L rather than the advertised 18L capacity. There is a bit of a gap where the seat meats the bodywork at the rear of the seat, but otherwise everything is perfect.

I've got the orange "KTM LC4" stickers that go on the tank, but I'm not sure I want to put them on. I may leave the tank plain and swap out the orange fenders and side panels for black and do a total black out bike. Or I could put on the silver fenders/side panels... Or, maybe I'll just leave it be and go get it all muddy and the colors won't matter ;) Ride On!

Laromonster 12-14-2006 02:35 PM

Actually i dont think you should do anything .. it looks very sweet as it is :clap

Bluetickk 12-14-2006 02:44 PM

:thumb As is :clap

creeper 12-14-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaggleXR650
There is a bit of a gap where the seat meats the bodywork at the rear of the seat, but otherwise everything is perfect.

Looks good snaggle. :thumb
The gap in the rear is quite common on LC4 seats... it's due to a combination of seat pan distortion and/or variations in subframe/fender fitments.
When you get tired of sliding down that slope in the seat... give me a shout. :wink:

Shrek650 12-14-2006 03:16 PM

gas tank
 
Thats to cool , When I grow up and get my KTM, I hope it looks that good !!!

Madhouse 12-14-2006 03:32 PM

Lookin good Snaggle
 
Just add mud Snaggle!:jive

Ned1 12-14-2006 03:55 PM

No comparison on fit and finish of the big $$ tank setup as compared to the IMS. :thumb

Sure, my fan fits and I have 6 months worth of gas money in my pocket (read: a couple/three grocery runs for the family ) but the OEM stuff is sure nice compared to the hillbilly banjo tank setup I have on mine.:strum

snaggleXR650 12-14-2006 04:30 PM

Creeper,
A while back you had a Renazco for sale that was supposed to fit with an 18L tank. I PM'd you about it over at supermotojunkie. Still got it? If not, what is your timeline nowadays, last time I talked to James he said you were in the middle of a move...

Ned,
Yes, the 18L tank/seat/gas cap is at an a$$ raping price. I looked hard at the IMS, but I didn't want to deal with the heatgun fitment issues and the possibility of not being able to use my rad fan setup. Besides, I got a nice discount due to my lifetime membership over at KTMtalk, which has already paid for itself three-fold.

Everybody else,
The bike doesn't look bad as it is, but I did some 5 minute Photoshop scribbles and colored the fenders/side panels black, and then grey (like the older LC4-E's). The grey looked pretty decent I thought. Maybe somebody with some Photoshop skillz can do it up decently and we can see what it looks like with black, grey or red fenders/sidepanels?

Thanks for the comments, I can't wait to get out and test the range.

canpile 12-14-2006 04:58 PM

Looks good snaggle!:thumb I'd leave it as is. I was going to paint the one on my six days (recently sold) to match the rest of the scheme of things, but figured "hell with it". As Creeper mentioned, you may get tired of sliding down to the low point on the comfort seat. Bothers some and others not. It bothered me only after riding a friend's 640 Adv.:D

creeper 12-14-2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaggleXR650
Creeper,
A while back you had a Renazco for sale that was supposed to fit with an 18L tank. I PM'd you about it over at supermotojunkie. Still got it? If not, what is your timeline nowadays, last time I talked to James he said you were in the middle of a move...

I still have the seat. The only thing is, it's a low seat made for a 30 inch or less inseam... or a guy that does lots of tight trail and wants his (or her) footsies closer to the ground.

Since you saw it last, James and I developed a better fitting cover that applies less tension to the seat pan... so although it's the same seat, I took that first cover off and replaced it with the very first prototype "new version" LC4 cover made. There is no logo on it.

http://creeper.smugmug.com/photos/110497858-L.jpg

It's carbon fiber sides, smooth, semi-matte top with orange and silver stitching.

http://creeper.smugmug.com/photos/110497832-L.jpg

C

marcwestbmw 12-14-2006 05:06 PM

BIG thumbs up for Snaggle's bike. Looks good.:clap

meat popsicle 12-14-2006 08:06 PM

Damn sexy! Oh and snaggle's bike looks good too. :lol3

I would say put the orange KTM stickers on it, or if you don' like the stickers PM matey peeps - who can sell you some custom stickers made to order (ask creeper about them).

creeper 12-14-2006 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaggleXR650
I've got the orange "KTM LC4" stickers that go on the tank, but I'm not sure I want to put them on. I may leave the tank plain and swap out the orange fenders and side panels for black and do a total black out bike.

Make your own from 16 mil universal backing vinyl. The black-out KTM is always a crowd favorite too. :wink:

downhillfromhere 12-15-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaggleXR650
I installed my 18L monster gas tank on my '04 KTM 625 SXC. Fit's great, works with the LC4 KTM radiator fan and the comfort seat is, well, comfy. Filled to the brim it holds 5.2 gallons, which is more like 20L rather than the advertised 18L capacity. There is a bit of a gap where the seat meats the bodywork at the rear of the seat, but otherwise everything is perfect.

I've got the orange "KTM LC4" stickers that go on the tank, but I'm not sure I want to put them on. I may leave the tank plain and swap out the orange fenders and side panels for black and do a total black out bike. Or I could put on the silver fenders/side panels... Or, maybe I'll just leave it be and go get it all muddy and the colors won't matter ;) Ride On!

I've done the same thing with my SXC, but I've had the seat raised 30mm to get rid of the horsey saddle feel. I'm 6' 2'' so I can still touch the ground comfortably. It has pulled the seat base up a touch at the rear, but is sure is comfortable.
Maybe even a bit too comfortable, as I find myself sitting more, when I should be standing. I'll just have to remind myself to get more aggressive instead of lounging!
I got a set of original SXC tank decals and they go on nice with a little help from the wife's hair dryer. Decals have lasted 2 or 3 big rides so far. I did have some concerns as to their longevity seeing as they are not protected by the shrouds, but they're OK so far.

v8turbo 12-15-2006 03:05 PM

Creeper- that seat is nice! i just sold my 625sxc and got the 640 ADV. I will be looking up Renazco soon.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014