ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   640 Adventure Tank Bag Review (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195508)

v8turbo 01-10-2007 05:24 PM

640 Adventure Tank Bag Review

Thinking about purchasing the KTM LC4 Tank bag.

I tried it out at the dealer and not sure if its a good fit.

Suggestions?

v8turbo 01-10-2007 06:07 PM

If you mark other brand... what did you get?

ChrisC 01-10-2007 06:52 PM

I purchased the KTM bag because it fit reasonably well and the price was right. After using it for a couple of seasons the following is apparent to me:

1. It's construction is OK, not great but OK. Leaks water like a sieve (cover comes with it).

2. It is big. Good to hold alot of junk, but also big enough to get in the way (some).

3. I figure if I were to do it again it would likely be the waterproof Wolfman bag. Better built, water-proof, and somewhat smaller. More money too. Creeper might chime in here. I know Eric sent him one to try and I think he likes it.

ktmnate 01-10-2007 07:39 PM

If you are touring, the KTM bag is prety good. Like ChrisC said, it leaks. It did come with a cover (more like a showercap) but it got all torn up. If you go off road, a shorter bag would be much better. I have been considering a shorter woolfman.

Nate

rapiti 01-10-2007 07:51 PM

I have a Touratech tankbag. Very close to KTM bag, with heavier materials. On steep climbs it gets in the way. If you have 34 or greater inseam, less of a problem than for shorter legs. Wolfman holds less, but is rarely in the way. What do you plan to use bike for?

Zerodog 01-10-2007 08:37 PM

I have the KTM bag. Overall it is pretty good. It fits on the bike really nice and I like that it zips off easy. It fits my camera and some other crap in there. It is expandable so that is a big+ for touring or just if you need it. It does get in the way enough while standing that I don't ride with it when I do any serious offroad. I think any tankbag that holds much of anything would be in the way too. For road work and just dirtroads it is great.

bmwktmbill 01-11-2007 05:22 AM

Going out the door for a ride I hooked the side pocket on the door latch and it pulled right off. If you look at the stitching it is a single thread loop, not a lock stitch. Nothing was damaged or torn so I took the pieces to the shoemaker and he immediately fixed it and resewed the other pocket too.

Other than that it is a nice tankbag as long as it doesn't rain. The map zipper needs a Velcro flap.
No issues with leg interference but I have bar risers and strap the bag as far forward as possible.

I owned mine for a year before I knew it expanded.
Kinda made me feel dumb. It came with the bike.
Heres a photo:

http://www.pbase.com/bmwgsbill/image/72580713.jpg

Bill.

gunnerbuck 01-11-2007 06:12 AM

I've had the tank bag for 2 1/2 years and it has seen a lot of use. In comparing my bag to my friends brand new Tourtech bag, I would say the KTM bag has much sturdier material but lighter zippers. After many zips and unzips the zippers are OK but 2 of the pull rings have worn out so I fabricated replacements out of SS bailing wire. For touring the bag is good, but offroad I would agree with the others that it does impede movement on the bike somewhat. Ideally I would like a 2nd smaller tankbag for offroad riding and dayrides. In the wet you definately need the raincover which comes with it otherwise it doesn't take long for things inside to get soaked. For the money I would rate it as a good buy.

v8turbo 01-11-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
I've had the tank bag for 2 1/2 years and it has seen a lot of use. In comparing my bag to my friends brand new Tourtech bag, I would say the KTM bag has much sturdier material but lighter zippers. After many zips and unzips the zippers are OK but 2 of the pull rings have worn out so I fabricated replacements out of SS bailing wire. For touring the bag is good, but offroad I would agree with the others that it does impede movement on the bike somewhat. Ideally I would like a 2nd smaller tankbag for offroad riding and dayrides. In the wet you definately need the raincover which comes with it otherwise it doesn't take long for things inside to get soaked. For the money I would rate it as a good buy.

ok. my local shop has one they will give me a discount on.

question- the top straps... they strap to the fork tubes?

ChrisC 01-11-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8turbo
ok. my local shop has one they will give me a discount on.

question- the top straps... they strap to the fork tubes?

Around the backbone behind the steering head...

creeper 01-11-2007 01:10 PM

I had one of the very first Wolfman Expedition tankbags... and although I'm not what you'd call a "tankbag guy", I have to admit that after using it, not only would I be hard pressed to not use it, I'd be hard pressed not to use the Wolfman bag.

The design of the Expedition bag is absolute genius... the small bag (there is a large and a small size available) is a perfect size for a DS bike, not too big to get in the way, not so small as to be useless.
I can carry all my tools, plus a camera, plus a spare tube and tire irons in it.

Although Eric doesn't mention it, the Expedition bags are for all intents an purposes, waterproof. You'd have to submerge one to get it to leak.

Last thing... all Eric's gear is made right here in the USA.

http://creeper.smugmug.com/photos/122554459-O-1.jpg

sherpa 01-11-2007 01:38 PM

Here's a comparison thread I did with pics on the Wolfman bags.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=sherpa

Since posting that thread I've purchased one of Wolfmans small expedition tankbags like in Creeper's photo above.....it's awesome....:thumb

creeper 01-11-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherpa
Here's a comparison thread I did with pics on the Wolfman bags.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=sherpa

Since posting that thread I've purchased one of Wolfmans small expedition tankbags like in Creeper's photo above.....it's awesome....:thumb

Wow Robert! For some unknown reason, I never saw that post. You really went all out... that is a great review/comparison. :thumb

scottcolbath 01-11-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisC
I purchased the KTM bag because it fit reasonably well and the price was right.

I talked the dealer into tossing in the KTM bag after we had closed the deal on the bike purchase. :evil Saved myself $100 on something I wanted anyway.

I have zero complaints about mine. I've loaded the shit out of it. Unzipped and zipped it back up a million times while out on the trail, taking pics. Nothing has broken, ripped or even faded.

Oh, and it says KTM right on it and that's just plain fuckin' cool poser points right there.

S.C.

losiu 01-11-2007 03:27 PM

I tried to get a tankbag for my 640 several times and when I finally got to the KTM importer in my country and they said they had one, it turned out it was for a 950. (After I drove there for 2,5 hours)
I ended up getting a Touratech tankbag and I think it does the job well.

I think the KTM importer gave me a good enough reason to go for an aftermarket bag, though I'm not going to vote cuz I can't really compare it to other bags on the market.

Welcome to Poland...

Losiu

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:53 AM.