ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Shipping your motorcycle from AK (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207977)

flyin_ 02-26-2007 10:07 AM

Shipping your motorcycle from AK

Since my 3 week vacation request was officially denied today:cry , I am now looking at my options for shipping my bike home from AK. Can anyone suggest any shipping companies to check out? I have a few online quotes from shipping companies I have found thorugh Horizons Unlimited and web searches for $1900 and $2100:eek1 . Has anyone actually shipped their bikes from AK back to the lower 48 that can offer some advice?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions! :ear

d_day_6 02-26-2007 10:50 AM

Don't ship it...

Rent a nice KLR in AK and enjoy the ride...that's what I'd do.

vegasphotog 02-26-2007 10:54 AM

use the search index but it seems to me people have indicated that it would run about $750 as 'luggage' if you are on the plane.

Big Bad Bob 02-26-2007 11:58 AM

Try Classic Motion at 907-272-6863. These guys ship, store and crate motorcycles and should be able to hook you up no problem. And, Gary and Joanie are just all around nice people.

BBB

gsilvernale 02-26-2007 12:46 PM

Find somebody to ride it back for you

A lot of people do not have the time to ride both ways.
I bet you could find someone to fly to Alaska and ride it back (of course, it depends on what kind of biky you have....):evil

d_day_6 02-26-2007 03:54 PM

[quote=d_day_6]Rent a nice KLR in AK and enjoy the ride...that's what I'd do.[/quote

]:doh

Sorry, I thought you were shipping to and from AK. Should have read it more closely..

There used to be a real reasonable air freight Co. called Forward Air Freight. Not sure if they are still in business..

d_day_6 02-26-2007 03:56 PM

Link

Check out the link..

www.forwardair.com

RTCHIEF 02-26-2007 06:36 PM

I'd be interested in riding it back. JON

akrider 02-26-2007 06:47 PM

ship vs. rent

I agree with Big Bad Bob. Classic motion has shipped for me and has done a great job.

Check with Alaska Airlines also.

Also check with Akrider.com for rental of bikes in Anchorage.

Phish 02-26-2007 06:49 PM

You can ship your bike from Seattle to Anchorage or Anchorage to Seattle on Alaska Airlines for around $.65 per lb. You can also ship from Prudhoe Bay to Anchorage (if you don't want to drive the Dalton both ways). They can take pretty much any size bike.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m.../3rddut007.jpg

flyin_ 02-27-2007 06:51 AM

Thanks for all the great info. Looks like I have a few calls to make.
I have been thinking a little more about renting but I really want to ride my bike there. The 3000 miles there will be most of the adventure. Right now I'm just really bummed that I can't get 3 weeks off. I love my job but I hate working.

I'm 90% sure that I'm going to ride there, have my wife fly in and ride with me for a week and then we'll both fly home. The other 10% of me wants to ride there and back in the 2 weeks just for the challenge. Then I miss most of AK.

Is 30 too early to retire? :D

rowansride 02-27-2007 12:57 PM

You can ship from the Kachemak Gear Shed in Homer to seattle for under 300$

Used to be we had to truck our crates to kenai to ship south but the KGS option is cheaper these days, and even closer. Last year it was less than 300 for a 4x8 crate, size-not weight being the determining factor. You can easliy blow 200 bucks building a crate though. I usually pick though the scrap piles down at the boatyard though.
Best idea I've seen yet was my friend shawn's. He builds his crate with a pointy roof so nobody can stack a pallet of motoroil or frozen fish on top of it. It sure used to piss of Carlisle Shipping though.

RedShift42 02-28-2007 12:32 AM

Give Carlisle and Southern Alaska Forwarding a call. I shipped my KLR from Kodiak down to Seattle via SAF last Spring for ~$400. It took about a week, everyone at both ends was great help, and she arrived fine; popped the crate in SEA, and rode her out the door.

Sending it down on a barge service is going to be reasonably cheap, probably your best option unless you get real lucky and find a trucker who's dead-heading back to the lower-48. Not sure what your shipping options would be to MN once it reaches Seattle, but try running it by Carlisle and SAF to see what they know.

As for the crate, try contacting several motorcycle dealerships, maybe they've got a crate that can be slavaged and reused. I called my local SAF dock, told them what I had in mind, they called back a few days later w/ a beautiful 8' cedar pallet that was perfect for my needs and they were happy they didn't have to break it down. Win-win.

Last note, SAF will ship a palletized bike open, but I saved like $150 by putting a pretty-much-token box frame around it for protection (local SAF promised me it wouldn't be stacked and I watched them load it). And you'll sleep better every night until it arrives. Mine never needed the protection, but still worth the while.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

-Eric.

Carlisle: 800-478-1853 ANC 800-323-2296 TAC
SAF: 800-929-2600

flyin_ 02-28-2007 04:50 PM

Thanks again to everyone who has offered advice!

I have contacted a couple of companies and I have a few quotes so far.
Carlisle Trucking will ship from Anchorage to Forest Lake, MN for $282 crated in about 4 days. They will also pick up the crated bike from Classic Motion or Internation Wood.

Classic Motion will be getting a quote to me this Thursday for crating cost and shipping costs.

Internation Wood gave me a quote of $275 to crate the bike

Southern Alaska Forwarding said they don't ship out of AK

Forward Air only ships in the contenental US and a few points in Canada

Does anyone have any other ideas for getting the bike into a crate and to Carlisle Trucking? If not I'm still pretty happy with a total cost of $557. I thought it would be way more than that!

Now I have to figure out how to see everything I want to see in 2 weeks but I guess thats a whole nother thread

RedShift42 03-01-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyin_
Thanks again to everyone who has offered advice!

Carlisle Trucking will ship from Anchorage to Forest Lake, MN for $282 crated in about 4 days. They will also pick up the crated bike from Classic Motion or Internation Wood.

Internation Wood gave me a quote of $275 to crate the bike

Southern Alaska Forwarding said they don't ship out of AK

Does anyone have any other ideas for getting the bike into a crate and to Carlisle Trucking? If not I'm still pretty happy with a total cost of $557. I thought it would be way more than that!

Now I have to figure out how to see everything I want to see in 2 weeks but I guess thats a whole nother thread

SAF doesn't ship out of AK? Hmm, maybe that's new or maybe it's just a unique deal here in Kodiak since the sea boxes go back down mostly empty. Or maybe I'm just losing my memory.

Really, tho' $282 is a steal-- almost too good to be true. Heck, I think I'd pay that much to freight a bike Kodiak->ANC.
Back 10 yrs ago I tried to ship my sister's scooter NJ->Seattle and the best I could find was $400 (I wound up riding it to her for less, but that's a whole 'nother thread too).
The crating fee seems a little high to me, but if you consider what an extra day of riding on a dream vacation is worth (vs. spending a day cursing while you engineer one yourself) and then peace of mind dropping off your bike w/ someone you trust...

As a possibility, I wonder what a shop in ANC might charge to put your bike back into the crate an '08 _________ (your model here) just came out of...?

-Eric.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:39 AM.