ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Leaky LC-4 petcock question for ya (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217733)

micio 04-01-2007 06:16 AM

Leaky LC-4 petcock question for ya

I've got a slooooow leak on my '02 Duke ll petcock (it's the Mikuni CK-69 '96).

I haven't had it apart yet but I'm guessing that there's a lil' seal in there that needs replacing. Trouble is, I can only find the petcock assembly complete for about $50...

Anybody know if an automotive gasket will cure it? :ear
Or do I need to man up and buy the whole thing?

bmwktmbill 04-03-2007 12:02 AM

I took mine off and cleaned it and put in a new O-ring.
It leaked just the same. It is a bad design, take it apart, you will see.
Better to cut an old piece of fuel line with a plugged end and stick that on the petcock outlet when the tank is off.
IMHO.
bill

micio 04-03-2007 01:42 PM

Thanks, Bill. If cleaning and a new o-ring won't fix it, and it gets to be real bad, I'll kick down for a new one.

lvdukerider 04-03-2007 08:51 PM

The one on my 00 Duke II just started leaking last week. I guess the 50 bucks I spent to order a new one wasen't wasted then.

ktmMike 04-06-2007 07:29 AM

Lengthen the fuel line a bit and add an aftermarket in-line petcock, then just leave the stock one open.

lvdukerider 04-06-2007 08:19 PM

I hear what your saying but mine is leaking around the outside of the part that you turn. Plus I just picked up the new one up from my dealer today. Thanks for the idea though.

bmwktmbill 04-10-2007 01:41 AM

The petcock can leak two ways, one is to the outside and the other is through the petcock.
If you take one apart you will see it is built like a bung. There is an o-ring that keeps it from leaking to the outside. That can be replaced to stop that problem.
I can't see how to fix the through leakage but someone might know more.
Bill.

biensur22 04-23-2013 02:11 PM

Sorry for the thread revival, but anyone ever use the raptor petcock on the LC4 tanks? I know a lot of people broke the petcocks off their tanks on the 640As, so there must be a decent replacement. Both sides of mine lead on the outside, but replacing the o-rings didn't fix the problem.

bmwktmbill 04-23-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biensur22 (Post 21252305)
Sorry for the thread revival, but anyone ever use the raptor petcock on the LC4 tanks? I know a lot of people broke the petcocks off their tanks on the 640As, so there must be a decent replacement. Both sides of mine lead on the outside, but replacing the o-rings didn't fix the problem.

Did you use metric o-rings?
b

Reinhold 04-23-2013 10:02 PM

I just eliminated mine. Put a blocking plate on where the petcock was on my Adventure. Ran a T connector with fuel line from the tank crossover to the carb. Works like a damn!

biensur22 04-24-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhold (Post 21255258)
I just eliminated mine. Put a blocking plate on where the petcock was on my Adventure. Ran a T connector with fuel line from the tank crossover to the carb. Works like a damn!

What? no fuel pump? What do you do when you have to take off the tank? Ride 300 miles then pull it? Empty it into a bucket?

RE: Metric o-rings. They were metric, but they still leak. Possible i used slightly the wrong size, or PO did and I matched them. I'll check again soon.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:37 AM.