ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   When does Moscow Mountain open up? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228407)

IDScarecrow 05-08-2007 11:26 AM

When does Moscow Mountain open up?

Took the family up to Moscow Mountain in the jeep this weekend. The front side was still gated at the base of the mountain, so I drove around to the Troy end. We got about 3/4 of the way up before hitting snow. Hiked through the snow, and about 500 yards up near the top of the mountain a gate was closed. Hiked up to the view point, and had to climb over three or four downed trees on the way.

I just bought a bike (TT-R 250) and I am eager to do some exploring up there - anyone with any idea, historically, of when the gates are opened and/or the roads are cleared?

Thanks

Right Turn Clyde 05-08-2007 11:59 AM

Should be soon buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut…

Moscow Mt. is (almost) entirely private land with a long history of closure to 4x4/ATV/MC offroad use. Doing so without written permission is a ticket in the making, and will continue to build hatred toward motorized rec. It's mtb country and hiking gallor though. :dog Bummer, I know, but that's the reality of it. I went to many of the public mtgs to try and find a solution. And now my truck basically never touches mud up there.

If you want a better date, phone PCEI and ask Tom.

IDScarecrow 05-08-2007 12:39 PM

I respect the private property owners' rights to control access - but sometimes it isn't clear what is in/out of bounds. I was up there last summer, and saw gates that seemed to allow run-arounds by motorcycles/atvs, but perhaps not intentionally? And large mounds/ditches blocked some of the logging roads for 4x4s, but not, apparently, for atvs and bikes? I am happy to stay on approved roads/trails, I just like the views and easy access from Moscow.

Oh, btw, there are some lower logging roads on the back-side that appear to be open currently.

Right Turn Clyde 05-08-2007 02:16 PM

Sounds like you're taking the right attitude toward it. The ride arounds are, to my knowledge, "unapproved". Those logging roads may be game though. Have you rode down the old RR grade from Troy to Kendrick? You follow the paved rail trail (yes, a bit illegal…for about 200yrd) then it's the gravel rail bed. Some iffy old RR trestles to cross. Best to do w/ a partner just in case. You bail out on a logging/ATV trail on the east side and then make your way up to Little Bear. It is then only a couple gravel road miles to Kendrick.

shinyboat 06-04-2007 09:23 PM

Here's what you do
1. Get a Clearwater National Forest Map
2. Look at all the landowners properties around Moscow Mountain
3. Call a couple of them. I have done this step and they all told me that if there is a gate, it is closed to public use.

I did it once before I knew I wasn't supposed to. I won't do it again just because there is so much more everywhere else.

Beware of Potlatch Corp. They just started requireing permits to ride on their land. You get 2 freebies and then you get prosecuted for tresspassing.

Suva 06-05-2007 11:21 AM

The last time I talked to Bennet Lumber Co. guy, he said that it was OK to ride on the majority of the back side, including SOME gated roads. Just don't stop for anybody- there are a lot of yahoos up there that think they are the caretakers of the palouse range, and some are known to behave incredibly irrationally. Pack a gun (but don't use, or threaten to use it, bad things will happen), or better yet, ride somewhere else.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:12 PM.