ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2007 640A trip rating (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242626)

Reinhold 06-25-2007 03:03 PM

2007 640A trip rating

Just returned Saturday evening from a trip up North up the Dalton to Prudhoe and then up the Dempster to Inuvik. I put around 10,000 km on her in 14 days with a couple of 1000km days in the saddle. I did the trip on a 1150GS and last year on my KLR so it was interesting to see how the 640A was going to do. I'm pretty happy with her.

I packed light. I used Aerostitch tank panniers as saddle bags in which I carried my tools and spares(18lbs). On the luggage rack I had a SealLine 30l dry bag carrying about 10lbs of camping gear (light weight backpacking gear including my TarpTent..1.5lbs; +5 C Western Mountaineering sleeping bag.. 500gm; a light Therma-rest and other stuff like a shaving kit and spare clothing). I used the small Wolfman Enduro bag on the tank and a small daypack on my back for a waterbladder and snacks. The bike handled very well with the light load. My buddy who came with me had his klr so loaded down that it looked like a donkey cart from behind and in some sections he struggled due to the load.

The brakes on the bike are fantastic as they should be with the dual discs up front. I'll keep them and not drop one of them as a lot of guys do. I will still do a lot of riding on the street commuting with the bike so the brakes are needed. Are they too much for the dirt? I'll adjust. Same with the low fender. I like the looks of the fender being a Dakar nut. I did raise the fender up a couple of inches with aluminium brackets (thanks Jon) which I believe should eliminate any problems with mud building up, at least where I will be riding.

The power of the bike was adequate. It did pull away from my buddies donkey cart in a top gear roll on but not like I was expecting considering the load that he was carrying. I have not done any jetting changes or changes to the airbox or exhaust which have been recommended on this site. I'm looking forward to see the difference. The whole trip I averaged 51mpg (imperial) or 5.5lt/100km or 18kms/lt. I ran out of fuel twice and on both occasions I got 60km per reserve before quitting.

Had to run regular fuel up north which was 87octane. I disconnected the ignition curve but the bike ran so poorly that I connected it again and ran it like normal. Not sure if there was any pinging or detonation due to wind noise. This would be a major concern that I would have running this high compression bike in a third world country with bad fuel. I was expecting a little power lose but not that big of a performance drop. It was like I was going to drop the engine.

Now for comfort..... . Sorry guys but I found the 640A very comfortable. Like I said I did a couple of 1000km days and I still have all of my fillings (and I got a lot). The vibration was there but not bothersome. If you clamp your legs tight against the seat and tank you get a weird sound in your ears but nothing that is remarkable. Its like riding a big dirtbike. Guys say that it smoothens out after some jetting changes which would be even better but as it stands its not a issue. I'm amazed that the vibration subject is such issue on this website. The seat is just fine also. I wore bike shorts under my riding pants and ya I had to move around and maybe stand up once in a while but what bikes dont you have to on long days.

Suspension has not been set up yet although before leaving I put in a set of 4.8 fork springs in. I'm going to spend some time setting the suspension up now. I was a little rushed getting ready for the trip so I didnt have much time to play with it. While the KLRs and GS's where have difficulty in the deep sand and gravel on the Dempster the 640A just sailed through it. Went where you pointed it.

Chain and sprockets are worn out. The Metzler Sahara on the back is finished and it did very well for the terrain that I was in. I'll probably get another one. I liked the wind protection..no buffeting. I lock tighted everything before I left and checked everything often. No big issues with reliability or anything falling off.

Bottom line.... I like the bike. My KLR can do any trip just as well but compared to last year, this trip was just a lot more fun.

disconnected 06-25-2007 05:57 PM

thanks for sharing!!! :wave

Seth S 06-25-2007 08:17 PM

Clearly I am gonna have to test ride one and decide on the vibration issue for myself. I have a 950 that I have put 13,000 miles on and ridden it on all sorts of terrain. The 640 would be a little bit of a compromise on the highway but I try to avoid the highway whenever possible.

meat popsicle 06-25-2007 08:54 PM

nice to read a review by someone who actually has a basis for comparison :wink: thank you for your post.

mastiffdog2 06-25-2007 10:04 PM

I too am thrilled with my 07 640 Adv - perhaps the best bike I have ever owned. Your story mirrors my feelings about the bike, especially the comfort - it is truly comfortable! I like being high, like a skyscrapper on this bike. I did a 600 mile day and enjoyed every minute of it.

We're lucky - we got the last ones they ever will make - a true classic :lol3

NICO 06-26-2007 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
nice to read a review by someone who actually has a basis for comparison :wink: thank you for your post.

+1. Good post.

Vibes are the one thing continually bitched about here. Totally subjective. The vibes on my '97 KTM 620 are there, but easily forgotten about given the overall fun factor of the bike. When I get the chance to ride my buddies' '06 640A, it's like day and night. That thing is butter smooth.

Zed1k 06-26-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhold
Just returned Saturday evening from a trip up North up the Dalton to Prudhoe and then up the Dempster to Inuvik. I put around 10,000 km on her in 14 days with a couple of 1000km days in the saddle. I did the trip on a 1150GS and last year on my KLR so it was interesting to see how the 640A was going to do. I'm pretty happy with her.

I, and I'm sure plenty others, am curious as to more comparison info between the 640A and the KLR (my ride) and even the GS (2 buddies have 1200GS)
Is the 640A worth the money over the KLR? Why/why not?
Where does each outshine the others?

-Zed1K

klr dave 06-29-2007 01:30 PM

Mr. Dakar...

I resemble that KLR donkey comment.:flip

Remember that you can buy two KLR's for the price of your beautiful Austrian two wheeler.

PS... Bumped into Cliffy boy this week...He has never owned a ZX-14. He has a "Pure Sport" ZX-10..:lol3

Diesel Dave

Reinhold 06-29-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klr dave
Mr. Dakar...

I resemble that KLR donkey comment.:flip

Remember that you can buy two KLR's for the price of your beautiful Austrian two wheeler.

PS... Bumped into Cliffy boy this week...He has never owned a ZX-14. He has a "Pure Sport" ZX-10..:lol3

Diesel Dave

BASTARDO!
Cheques in the department mail. I hope its more reliable than it used to be.
That hundy should buy you a few bushels of high octain OATS:fyyff

klr dave 06-29-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhold
BASTARDO!
Cheques in the department mail. I hope its more reliable than it used to be.
That hundy should buy you a few bushels of high octain OATS:fyyff

I couldn't accept it. Put it in Dieter's college fund. A grande dark roast at Starbuckles will suffice.:dutch

pitbull doug 06-29-2007 10:04 PM

Reinhold yea thats what I've been saying ever since I got my 06 640 adv,whats all the whining adout the vibes, smoothest ride I'd ever had! Been riding/ racing dirtbikes since 1973 and by far the most offroadable cadillac Ive owned to date.No sh== :thumb

00 300 exc
03 525 mxc
06 640 adv

mastiffdog2 06-29-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitbull doug
Reinhold yea thats what I've been saying ever since I got my 06 640 adv,whats all the whining adout the vibes, smoothest ride I'd ever had! Been riding/ racing dirtbikes since 1973 and by far the most offroadable cadillac Ive owned to date.No sh== :thumb

00 300 exc
03 525 mxc
06 640 adv

I too am confused over all this vibration talk. Okay, so it is a bit buzzy - its a motorcycle, just ride it.

pitbull doug 06-30-2007 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastiffdog2
I too am confused over all this vibration talk. Okay, so it is a bit buzzy - its a motorcycle, just ride it.

Amen thats what I'm saying exactly!

00 300 exc
03 525 mxc
06 640 adv

grinder96 06-30-2007 08:49 AM

Reinhold,

I have a KLR and it doesn't like the highways so much. Here in L.A. the min freeway speed is 70 mph. Once I get to the fireroads, "b"roads and twisties it is in its own (and the speeds drop).

How would you compare the top end of the 640 to the KLR on the open road?

hartzpad 06-30-2007 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grinder96
Reinhold,

I have a KLR and it doesn't like the highways so much. Here in L.A. the min freeway speed is 70 mph. Once I get to the fireroads, "b"roads and twisties it is in its own (and the speeds drop).

How would you compare the top end of the 640 to the KLR on the open road?

I too would like to know how it cruises the freeway. I liked the KLR until I took it off-road (it would have to have updated suspension before I could own one, like USD forks and a new shock, both with more travel), now I am deciding between a 640 ADV and a BMW Dakar. I keep coming back to the Dakar because of the gas mileage it gets and how well it will cruise the freeway but I keep wanting the KTM because you can actually ride it off road with some normal speed because of the better suspension. Also, with the weight of the Dakar, it is almost tempting to step up to a KTM 950, if I could afford one.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:40 PM.