ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Tripmaster switch on an SE (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256750)

Pilbara 08-13-2007 02:35 AM

Tripmaster switch on an SE

Has anyone else actually fitted and got a tripmaster switch completely functional on an SE?

I have fitted one and the mode button works fine, the lower button works fine on trip 2 to reduce the reading but the upper button refuses to do anything. After looking through manuals and with help from Autostream on the mobile while looking at his setup on the adventure it all appears to be wired correctly.

Pin 12 on the speedo just does not do anything. If I earth out pin thirteen it moves the trip 2 display counting down. Nothing I do seems to make it count up.

:ear

Cheers
Pilbara

Seth S 08-13-2007 01:54 PM

If I remember the switch on mine correctly the single button changes the mode, the other two are used to advance or decrement the trip 2 odometer and thats it.

Pilbara 08-13-2007 03:38 PM

Seth your memory is faultless...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth S
If I remember the switch on mine correctly the single button changes the mode, the other two are used to advance or decrement the trip 2 odometer and thats it.

...but my switch is with fault and this is why I asked the question, I know how it is supposed to work, but it does not.

What I need to know is there someone who has successfully wired in a tripmaster switch on the SE? Did it work properly? Do you have an SE Seth and is your switch working as per your memory of it?

Cheers
Pilbara

Seth S 08-13-2007 06:43 PM

Sorry, just trying to be helpful, guess I didnt understand your question. I have the adventure. I thought you were implying that the second switch had a range of other amazing functions. I was merely pointing out that it did one thing only...guess I read it into your post that you had it working...versus not working at all. Seems kind of odd that it would not work. You would think it would be the exact same computer...would not make sense to come up with a new computer...at least not from a cost of manufacturing stand point.

Motobee 08-13-2007 11:58 PM

KTM uses the same instrument cluster (#61014069000) for the 950 ADV/SE/SM, 990ADV and 06 990SD. So theoretically the tripmaster switch should work fine if wired correctly.

The cluster wiring on the 950ADV is virtually the same as the 950SE, except KTM shows the speedometer input to the cluster (black/orange wire) to be pin#14 on the ADV, on the SE it is pin#16

On the 950 ADV the multifunction switch is wired like this:
Pin#11 yellow/brown
Pin#12 yellow
Pin#13 green/red

The '06 Superduke and the 990 ADV use pin#12 for the coolant temp. input, instead of pin#19, which is used on all of the carbed bikes. So the 990ADV can't use pin#12 for the multifunction switch.

The 990 ADV multifunction switch is wired as follows:
Pin#11 yellow/brown
Pin#13 yellow
Pin#14 red/green

You might find someone with a 950 Adventure to check the cluster wiring to see if it is actually the same as the wiring diagram. If it is, you might try swapping the speedometer input to pin#14, and then wire the multifunction switch to pins#11,12,13.

Otherwise, you could try the 990ADV multifunction switch wiring of pins#11,13,14.

I don't know how KTM can wire the same cluster so differently, maybe there are typo's in the wiring diagrams, so it might be good to have some people look at their bikes to see how they are actually wired.

Pilbara 08-14-2007 03:45 PM

Thanks Motobee

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motobee
KTM uses the same instrument cluster (#61014069000) for the 950 ADV/SE/SM, 990ADV and 06 990SD. So theoretically the tripmaster switch should work fine if wired correctly.

The cluster wiring on the 950ADV is virtually the same as the 950SE, except KTM shows the speedometer input to the cluster (black/orange wire) to be pin#14 on the ADV, on the SE it is pin#16

On the 950 ADV the multifunction switch is wired like this:
Pin#11 yellow/brown
Pin#12 yellow
Pin#13 green/red

The '06 Superduke and the 990 ADV use pin#12 for the coolant temp. input, instead of pin#19, which is used on all of the carbed bikes. So the 990ADV can't use pin#12 for the multifunction switch.

The 990 ADV multifunction switch is wired as follows:
Pin#11 yellow/brown
Pin#13 yellow
Pin#14 red/green

You might find someone with a 950 Adventure to check the cluster wiring to see if it is actually the same as the wiring diagram. If it is, you might try swapping the speedometer input to pin#14, and then wire the multifunction switch to pins#11,12,13.

Otherwise, you could try the 990ADV multifunction switch wiring of pins#11,13,14.

I don't know how KTM can wire the same cluster so differently, maybe there are typo's in the wiring diagrams, so it might be good to have some people look at their bikes to see how they are actually wired.

I will try shorting pin 14 to ground and see if it moves the trip 2 up. Pin 13 shorted to ground certainly works for moving it down. Pin 12 does nothing.

I am surprised by the difference in connections of what seems to be an identical part. Must be some smarts in there to configure it eh?

Cheers
Pilbara

Motobee 08-15-2007 09:27 AM

Pilbara,
Please post your results so others can find out what works in the future.

Good luck,
Brian

Ignore Amos 08-22-2007 11:18 AM

Did you get it working?

If so love to see how you did it...something I'd like to do in the very near future

Pilbara 08-31-2007 01:34 AM

Pin 14 works

Change Pin 12 to pin 14 and all works OK. Pin 14 increases the reading on trip 2.

Cheers
Pilbara

Ignore Amos 08-31-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilbara
Change Pin 12 to pin 14 and all works OK. Pin 14 increases the reading on trip 2.

Cheers
Pilbara

On the male or female side? sorry if this is a silly question...I've been drinking.....and not done either.... a round for the house...on ME!

BC in Mid TN 09-01-2007 07:42 PM

Would the tripmaster from an EXC be wired different from the Adventure tripmaster ? The EXC connector looks to be the same as on the SE.:ear

Pilbara 09-01-2007 11:23 PM

You must have a different SE to me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC in Mid TN
Would the tripmaster from an EXC be wired different from the Adventure tripmaster ? The EXC connector looks to be the same as on the SE.:ear

...as on my SE and everyone else I know with one, there is no tripmaster switch plug in the wiring loom. Maybe they have started to incorporate it in later models?? Are you intimating that you have one on yours?

I have had to wire an adventure trimaster switch (ie cut off the plug) directly into pins 11, 13 and 14 of the multifunction speedo. I am sorry I cannot help you with your question as my SE does not have a connector for the tripmaster switch.

Cheers
Pilbara

Pilbara 09-01-2007 11:25 PM

Not sure what to answer here Amos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignore Amos
On the male or female side? sorry if this is a silly question...I've been drinking.....and not done either.... a round for the house...on ME!

Pin 14 is pin 14 wether it is the male on the speedo or the female receptable on the plug.

Cheers
Pilbara

BC in Mid TN 09-02-2007 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilbara
...as on my SE and everyone else I know with one, there is no tripmaster switch plug in the wiring loom. Maybe they have started to incorporate it in later models?? Are you intimating that you have one on yours?

I have had to wire an adventure trimaster switch (ie cut off the plug) directly into pins 11, 13 and 14 of the multifunction speedo. I am sorry I cannot help you with your question as my SE does not have a connector for the tripmaster switch.

Cheers
Pilbara

Well I guess I got lucky :D . My SE has a plug in for the Tripmaster. It is bundled in with all the connectors behind the headlight mask. I found it when I was hooking up my GPS to the ACC1.
I "borrowed" my Tripmaster from my 06 EXC and it plugs straight in. The center button changes modes and the top and bottom buttons increment up and down.
The wires are a touch too short, but that is easily remedied. Also the EXC Tripmaster doesn't have the same mounting bracket as does the Adventure Tripmaster. The EXC version has a band that wraps around the handlebar but it would have to mount inward too far for easy thumb reach (not a big deal but if you're going to all the trouble anyway make it right).
I don't know the dimension of the Adventure Tripmaster connector if it's the same as the EXC version then it's "plug and play". My EXC Tripmaster connector size is 8.65mm wide and 4.66mm tall. The 4 wires from the rear with clip on top L-R Brown Red White Blue.

Can anyone confirm if the Adventure Tripmaster connector is the same as an EXC?

If not easiest solution is to purchase
EXC Tripmaster 54814073000 and bracket 58314069350
The Adventure Tripmaster is 58214069044

BC in Mid TN 09-02-2007 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another view of connector:ear

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:01 AM.