ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   HPN inserts for GS forks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264810)

Beemerboff 09-09-2007 03:15 AM

HPN inserts for GS forks
 
Lookig through the HPN Catalogue I noticed they list adjustable damping inserts for the post 87 fork which -

" MAKE THE ADVANCED DAMPING TECHNOLOGY OF THE MARZOCCHI MAGNUM SUITABLE FOR THE SERIAL FORK "

Or something.

Has anyone fitted a set of these things and can post on just exactly what you get for your money , what springs work best with them, and if they offer any worthwhile advance over the stock fork.

Basic_Gerd 09-09-2007 03:47 AM

Hi Beemerboff,

these cartridges come with springs and are to replace the whole interiors of the stock fork. Yes, they are an improvement, far more than different springs (which I found +/- effectless). Over here in Germany they were available at every BMW dealer, rumours were heard that they were out of stock, but more rumours followed saying still on hand.

Find my personal experiences here (sorry: it's german). You'll also find the part numbers and Ä prices. If I can help with procurement lemme know.

Beemerboff 12-12-2007 05:48 AM

Just to close off this thread I just fitted the MAgnum fork inserts which I finally recieved from HPN.

The kit went straight on my 93 R100 GS , the only extra needed was bar risers which I already had, and 10 wt oil.

Staight of, without any fine tuning , they made a bigger difference to the front end than fitting a Ohlins did to the rear.

I have set them so I have one third of the compression damping availible, and two thirds of the rebound .

They have really improved the front end to the point that it is now better than he F650 GS which I previously owned, and that was the all time best handling little bike I ever had.

IMHO they are worth every cent and up there with the best bang for the buck you will spend on the GS.

SOLO LOBO 12-12-2007 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemerboff
IMHO they are worth every cent and up there with the best bang for the buck you will spend on the GS.


How many cents were they?

Southpawman 12-12-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemerboff
Just to close off this thread I just fitted the MAgnum fork inserts which I finally recieved from HPN.

The kit went straight on my 93 R100 GS , the only extra needed was bar risers which I already had, and 10 wt oil.


Why did you need risers? Was it to clear the damper adjustment controls?

AliBaba 12-12-2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpawman
Why did you need risers? Was it to clear the damper adjustment controls?

Yes.

TEXASYETI 12-12-2007 08:12 AM

Can we get some pics here?

Wirespokes 12-12-2007 10:14 AM

I too am very interested in these things! I looked through the on-line HPN catalogue and didn't have much luck getting detailed info.

How did you go about getting these things? Part numbers? How much did the whole conversion cost? Was it the whole internals (damper assemblies and springs) that got replaced?

RocketJ 12-12-2007 10:25 AM

650gs
 
[quote=Beemerboff]

They have really improved the front end to the point that it is now better than he F650 GS which I previously owned, and that was the all time best handling little bike I ever had.

quote]
Just curious, was the F650GS stock?
I had one, also liked the handling, but found I would "blow thru" or out run the damping when going reasonably fast on pavement. It could get a little disconcerting.:dunno

opposedcyljunkie 12-12-2007 10:41 AM

:lurk

Southpawman 12-12-2007 10:51 AM

I found the inserts in HPN's catalog, and they look to be part no 1009, but couldn't find them on the price list.
I did notice that the WP USD front end that would simply replace the stock one (no extra travel) is about $300 and change more than I paid for the bike... :eek1
Yeah, I got a deal on the bike, but holy hell! :huh

AliBaba 12-12-2007 10:55 AM

It looks like this:
http://www.hpn.de/bilder/zubehoer/gabelin_gross.jpg

If you zoom in on this picture you can see how it looks on a bike: http://www.hpn.de/bilder/high_resolution/kordys2.jpg

Itís smart to change the bearing in the outer fork legs, then all your internals are new.
If your bike has the indicators on the top of the fork, the indicators have to be modified a bit.

SOLO LOBO 12-12-2007 10:56 AM

There are several folks pursuing a change of front end, the definitive answer is that custom triple clamps from a few sources run about $600, then add in the cost of the forks and front wheel, then the cost of a shortening the forks (or extending the swing arm and buying a new shock)... don't see any way to do this coversion and end up with a well handling, non-chopper styel GS (or G/S that also requires frame stregnthning) for anything less than $1K on the low side unless you are a machinist:D


And IMHO, the RaceTech mod works really well and costs ~$75...

AliBaba 12-12-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
There are several folks pursuing a change of front end, the definitive answer is that custom triple clamps from a few sources run about $600, then add in the cost of the forks and front wheel, then the cost of a shortening the forks (or extending the swing arm and buying a new shock)... don't see any way to do this coversion and end up with a well handling, non-chopper styel GS (or G/S that also requires frame stregnthning) for anything less than $1K on the low side unless you are a machinist:D


And IMHO, the RaceTech mod works really well and costs ~$75...

...or you can buy a WP4860 with 220mm stroke and trippleclamp for 2190Ä, brake and wheel fits :-)

The inserts are a nice, I used them for a while.

Stagehand 12-12-2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliBaba
It looks like this:

If you zoom in on this picture you can see how it looks on a bike: http://www.hpn.de/bilder/high_resolution/kordys2.jpg


but my o my they are pretty :wink:

I also shall try the Racetechs before anythign else rigth now. If I'm going to upgrade forks at all, I'm going to make damn sure I can fit a steering damper to it, as well.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014