ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Beware V-Strom Centerstand (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268154)

tedmarshall 09-19-2007 08:27 AM

Beware V-Strom Centerstand

Word of warning. The SW-MOTECH aftermarket centerstand can cause injury under this circumstance:
mildly rough railroad bed, modest speed (25-30 mph)...it can extend and retract violently, settling upward an inch or so beyond the stop.

I was standing on the pegs when the centerstand extension came up and whacked my left heel.

When I got home I hammered the centerstand back into proper position. I noted the puny stop wasn't enough to prevent this incident.

My solution: remove centerstand before any vigorous off-road excursion. My heel was torn open even though the boot wasn't punctured. Lots of blood and bruising.

Ted

Uncle Pollo 09-19-2007 09:42 AM

`Scratching centerstand off the list

sweater 09-19-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
`Scratching centerstand off the list

...was at the top of mine, unfortunately.

Looking at the first 600mile oil change with no stand around to work with, I was going to install a center stand for good. Now? Notsomuch.

What to use for a stand, then? Any old MC stand, a la Checker/Autozone/etc? :huh

- mike

rich_mc 09-19-2007 10:02 AM

Got any pics?? I've got the Suzuki stand and wanna make sure it's not an issue with that one.....

JamesG 09-19-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweater
What to use for a stand, then?

Swingarm bobbins and a paddock stand.

McB 09-19-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweater

Looking at the first 600mile oil change with no stand around to work with, I was going to install a center stand for good. Now? Notsomuch.

What to use for a stand, then? Any old MC stand, a la Checker/Autozone/etc? :huh

- mike

A small floor jack under the dogbone, using the sidestand as a pivot, does the trick. Not sure why you need a stand for an oil change, though.

sweater 09-19-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McB
A small floor jack under the dogbone, using the sidestand as a pivot, does the trick. Not sure why you need a stand for an oil change, though.

That answers two questions, then.

Transitioning from 4-wheeling/rock crawling hobby to this bike as a primary means of motorsports, I've found that I need a different take on tools and shop setup for some, but not all, stuff. Reading up on the pros/cons of centerstands on the Wee, I had assumed that a centerstand was one of the first things that people put on - until I figured out how much these things are taken off-road. Which I hope to learn hella more how to do.

I just assumed that you'd want the bike as flat as possible when doing any sort of fluid maintenance on it...

- mike

ROYAL COACHMAN 09-19-2007 10:42 AM

If you want a center stand, install the HEPCO-BECKER.
Very high quality. I have this on my 06 DL650 and have no problems.
Rode out to Colorado this summer and traveled many rough roads in search of trout streams. No center stand issues.
Glen
06 DL650
06 Tiger

Dirtgeek 09-19-2007 10:42 AM

thanks i'm going out to inspect mine. rode it to work today

al:1drink :1drink

DRZ400SK4 09-19-2007 10:45 AM

Solution...

$40 paddock stand.

http://www.ridetherock.com/gallery2/...Metzeler01.jpg

Holmes 09-19-2007 10:45 AM

Interesting - never heard of this one before. I've got a SW centerstand on my bike and have beaten the piss out of it on a jeep trail recently with no issues (other than me wiping out). I'll take a closer look at mine today.

sweater 09-19-2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRZ400SK4
Solution...

$40 paddock stand.

Yah - found yer post over on Stromtrooper, just can't find a local supplier in Denver. Which surprises me. Very bike-friendly area...

- mike

M0t0Rider 09-19-2007 11:06 AM

Dam....thats alot of wheel weight ya got there....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRZ400SK4

twowheelnut 09-19-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL COACHMAN
If you want a center stand, install the HEPCO-BECKER.
Very high quality. I have this on my 06 DL650 and have no problems.
Rode out to Colorado this summer and traveled many rough roads in search of trout streams. No center stand issues.
Glen
06 DL650
06 Tiger

Until you turn into a compression corner and that cross bar digs into the pavement, lifting the rear off the ground. Not fun. And yes,my stand is only several months old and it's still of the old design... The 'new' ones were to have that cross bar beveled. Not.

markjenn 09-19-2007 11:16 AM

The Strom is critically short of ground clearance. The Suzuki OEM stand, while a little worse on cornering clearance, doesn't have the cross-bar hanging down lower in the back like the SW-Motech. I think for off-pavement use, the Suzuki is probably the better stand.

- Mark

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:58 PM.