ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Versys vs F650gs (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268498)

papihijo 09-20-2007 10:45 AM

Versys vs F650gs

hi, I am looking to buy one of these two bikes, will do must street and longtrip riding, no offroad. come from a honda backround back home XL250cc...but in the US seems like 250s are too small. Honda does not offer anything like this except for the 919....(I like it but not so sure about riding position for long trips). Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated. Glad I found this site! will see you around.

ctfz1 09-20-2007 12:54 PM

kAWI.

Jack Daniel 09-20-2007 01:13 PM

WTF, I know I already posted in this thread while it was in the cellar :bluduh

"Buy The Kawi" :lol3

I guess the mods cleared out all the BS and took mine with it :lol2

Hannda 09-20-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papihijo
hi, I am looking to buy one of these two bikes, will do must street and longtrip riding, no offroad. come from a honda backround back home XL250cc...but in the US seems like 250s are too small. Honda does not offer anything like this except for the 919....(I like it but not so sure about riding position for long trips). Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated. Glad I found this site! will see you around.

If you're going road only, the Versys would be the way to go. The Fgs is a great bike, but it's a thumper. With thumpers come vibrations - that you're willing to accept if you need one bike to do everything, but why bother if your riding is to be road only.

papihijo 09-20-2007 08:36 PM

Thanks, so far so good for the versys. i think i will stay away from the BMW; the older style, and the extra money.....not worth it for me...... have not heard bad reviews except some people disliking the style....I particularly like it.

Hopefully will come back with my own reviews after my first ride....

Gustavo 09-20-2007 10:16 PM

Papi, there are several threads here with reviews of the Versys as well as on Road Warriors. And, if you read more, go to this site:

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op..._smf&Itemid=31

Gustavo

papihijo 09-21-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustavo
Papi, there are several threads here with reviews of the Versys as well as on Road Warriors. And, if you read more, go to this site:

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op..._smf&Itemid=31

Gustavo

Thanks, I have read the great one where you and pilot exchange reviews. I am just waiting for my dealer to get some in. how much did you pay for yours? the dealer is talking the usual crap that many people are waiting for it and that there are no discounts below the msrp....what do you think?

Gustavo 09-21-2007 10:36 AM

It depends where you are at. Yes, there is a lot of interest, and it didn't help that Kawasaki is slowly releasing the bikes (most dealers in my area didn't even order one initially, so only a few dealers got bikes in the first shipment that showed up around here). But, despite that, I got a bike at a nice discount (and a rear rack) from a dealer than only had one bike (and the only bike at that time in the Portland metro area). :deal

In the last few days I have been getting calls from all the dealers that just got bikes in, so there are more bikes out there now.

Gustavo

papihijo 09-21-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

It depends where you are at. Yes, there is a lot of interest, and it didn't help that Kawasaki is slowly releasing the bikes (most dealers in my area didn't even order one initially, so only a few dealers got bikes in the first shipment that showed up around here). But, despite that, I got a bike at a nice discount (and a rear rack) from a dealer than only had one bike (and the only bike at that time in the Portland metro area). :deal

In the last few days I have been getting calls from all the dealers that just got bikes in, so there are more bikes out there now.

Gustavo

I am in Miami, FL. Around here only one dealer has it, it is an exclusive KAWA dealer, the other dealers some don't even know about the bike...there is a kawa dealer show this upcoming week...let's hope they get some more in...

Jutta 09-22-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannda
If you're going road only, the Versys would be the way to go. The Fgs is a great bike, but it's a thumper. With thumpers come vibrations - that you're willing to accept if you need one bike to do everything, but why bother if your riding is to be road only.

I have ridden 50,000ks on my twin spark Dakar. I wish to make it clear that it does not vibrate and is a comfortable long distance all roads tourer. Here's the good and the bad.

Good

Powerful, reliable, smooth and economical motor
Great handling
Comfortable
Great styling
ABS

Bad

Too heavy
Routine servicing is a pain
notchy gear box
no helmet lock
indicators not flexible

Gustavo 09-22-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jutta
I wish to make it clear that it does not vibrate and is a comfortable long distance all roads tourer.

Everything is relative and also biased based on what you are comparing it to... :dunno

Gustavo

Jutta 09-23-2007 05:17 AM

Quote:

Everything is relative and also biased based on what you are comparing it to... :dunno

Gustavo

Compared to other dual purpose 650s:deal .

Would you have expected me to compare it with an R1?:lol3

Gustavo 09-23-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jutta
Would you have expected me to compare it with an R1?:lol3

A Versys? :dunno I thought that was the question... :scratch

Gustavo

DougRoost 09-25-2007 08:16 PM

First, you're comparing a beast (multi-cylinder bike on this forum) to a bit more dual sport thumper (single cylinder) bike. Further, you posted in the Beasts forum, not the Thumpers forum, so I guess you're fishing for what you want to hear. The closest competitor to a F650GS is really a KTM 640 Adventure, but even that isn't too fair. The Rotax engine in that F650GS is a nice, smooth piece, especially compared to the LC4 engine in the KTM.

I've been going through the same thought process, but for an adventure bike to add to my 2 stroke dirt bike. For street only, and a little exploring, get the Versys. If you really want to ride a mix of road and some offroad (gravel roads, 2 track, occasional single track), get the F650GS. If you want to do even more offroad, land some decent jumps, etc., get the Dakar race replica KTM 640 Adventure and live with some vibes and euro backwardness of the LC4 engine.

Another indicator is tire selection and aftermarket support. The KTM runs standard size offroad tires with tubes, while the other bikes run street size tubeless tires. They all have good luggage and rack options now so in this group that's not a deal breaker.

papihijo 09-26-2007 07:05 AM

Thanks for your input. You are right on, I'd be doing more street than offroad (90/10) so the versys is a better option for me. So far, I can't find (here in the US) another bike that offers what the versys does in terms of value for your money besides the Vstrom and I personally like the versys better, I am sure aftermarket support is coming along. thanks again.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:02 AM.