ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hp 2 19" front wheel conversion ? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271145)

Garthe 09-28-2007 07:42 PM

Hp 2 19" front wheel conversion ?

Has anyone done a 19" front and 17" rear (stock SM wheel) set up (also the same sizes as a typical GS/GSA wheel set). I'm looking to do the above set up with TKC's as a "dual sport" tire set up. Pictures would be GREAT.

Thanks, Jim

SQD8R 09-28-2007 09:14 PM

I thought there was a 21/17 tourance tire combo available?

Garthe 09-28-2007 09:38 PM

There is Dale, however, I took apart my stock wheels and turned them into "Woodys" 21" 18" wheel set. I have full knobbies on that set and want to have a "dual sport" set up.

Jim

JimC 09-28-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG RED
Has anyone done a 19" front and 17" rear (stock SM wheel) set up (also the same sizes as a typical GS/GSA wheel set). I'm looking to do the above set up with TKC's as a "dual sport" tire set up. Pictures would be GREAT.
Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

I am running a set of stock R1200GS spoked wheels with Anakee's on my HP2 as my street setup. I like the combination very much. I had the SM wheels for a while and felt they dropped the front of the bike too much which resulted in dragging parts more then I liked. The 19/17 combination seems to be the perfect set up for me. I always like this combination on the GS for pavement and it works just as well on the HP2. I think it would be a great DS set up with TKC80's.

Jim in Sacramento

Garthe 09-28-2007 09:54 PM

Thanks Jim for the info. I'm not a SM guy. I have about 90,000 on my 1100 GS and have never thought that my "twisty" set up was lacking. Although the TKC's are a compromise, so is life... Besides, I still have my 1100, street set up to fall back on.

Thanks for the info. Jim

SQD8R 09-28-2007 10:03 PM

A bit off topic but I love those R1100GS models. Still one of my favorite GS models. :thumb Smart move keeping it, I think you would regret selling it.

One of the things I learned from conversing with the boys at Woody's Wheelworks is that the 12GS stock set up is almost ideal for road riding. My experiences on the street confirm that IMO. While the HP2 21/17 combo is great off-road and the 17/17 combo is great on the track the R12GS 19/17 combo seemed to cover all facets. That's my experience.

GSpot 1200 09-28-2007 10:17 PM

17/19

1 Attachment(s)
Hello.
I have had the 17/17 on my HP2, and I dident like it.
To nervous on the steering, to unstable over bumpy high speed turns.
Now I have the 19/17 woody wheels, and I love them.
And I think, they suits the bike a lot better, than the
"tiny" 17" Sumo front wheel.
When these Scorpion Sync are over then I will go for the
TKC 80.
Highly recomended conversion, and nobody does it better
than woody, mine is looking fantastic.

GSpot 1200 09-28-2007 10:19 PM

one more photo

1 Attachment(s)
one more, close up

Garthe 09-28-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQD8R
A bit off topic but I love those R1100GS models. Still one of my favorite GS models. :thumb Smart move keeping it, I think you would regret selling it.

One of the things I learned from conversing with the boys at Woody's Wheelworks is that the 12GS stock set up is almost ideal for road riding. My experiences on the street confirm that IMO. While the HP2 21/17 combo is great off-road and the 17/17 combo is great on the track the R12GS 19/17 combo seemed to cover all facets. That's my experience.

Dale, every time that I have a "weak" moment and think about sell her, I just take a ride... And that was the blessing of buying the HP 2. Have your cake and eat it to.

I didn't know any better, when I started riding my 1100 GS I had T 66's on the rims. Street/dirt it didn't matter. I had no dirt back round to tell me how nave I was. White Rim by day, touring home at night. Ahhhh, the old days.

Thanks for you input. Jim

Garthe 09-28-2007 10:28 PM

Thanks GSpot, I remember see the pic's of your conversion, however, I couldn't find them.

Woodys has been GREAT to me as well. I had them do the 21" 18" set up. My first set of "custom" wheels and their GREAT.

Thanks for the photos.

Money, where do I get the MONEY...:1drink :gun1... I have an idea.

MT Don 09-30-2007 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSpot 1200
Hello.
I have had the 17/17 on my HP2, and I dident like it.
To nervous on the steering, to unstable over bumpy high speed turns.
Now I have the 19/17 woody wheels, and I love them.
And I think, they suits the bike a lot better, than the
"tiny" 17" Sumo front wheel.
When these Scorpion Sync are over then I will go for the
TKC 80.
Highly recomended conversion, and nobody does it better
than woody, mine is looking fantastic.

How do you like the Scorpion Sync tires?

ebrew 09-30-2007 05:37 AM

nice bike

Did you have to make any special adapter to use the wp fork with the bmw wheel ? caliper,axel,

Quote:

one more, close up

GSpot 1200 09-30-2007 10:52 AM

I like the Scorpion Sync, except in rain, they are not confident in rain.
regarding the front fork, itīs the BMW axle, I just put it in from the other side, and made a new spacer to the right side of the fork, then I reduced the disc, from 305mm to 300mm, and fitted a KTM 950 Adv. caliber.
Later on I will do a bracket, so I can use my 6 piston ISR
caliber, with the 320mm disc, but I think that it will
brake " too much" with that setup.
I brakes so perfect now, that I find it hard too see, how it
can brake better than now.
I can highly recomend the Beringer Radial Master
for brakes and clutch, its way better than stock,
my clutch is like soft butter, and smooth as silk.

MT Don 09-30-2007 04:10 PM

GSport 1200...that is one nice looking "scoot". I like the exhaust system also. Thanks for the info.

Don

ebrew 10-12-2007 12:15 PM

just wondering about the Beringer Radial Master for brakes and clutch. do you have a part numbers and how did you mount the res. thanx erik

Quote:

I like the Scorpion Sync, except in rain, they are not confident in rain.
regarding the front fork, itīs the BMW axle, I just put it in from the other side, and made a new spacer to the right side of the fork, then I reduced the disc, from 305mm to 300mm, and fitted a KTM 950 Adv. caliber.
Later on I will do a bracket, so I can use my 6 piston ISR
caliber, with the 320mm disc, but I think that it will
brake " too much" with that setup.
I brakes so perfect now, that I find it hard too see, how it
can brake better than now.
I can highly recomend the Beringer Radial Master
for brakes and clutch, its way better than stock,
my clutch is like soft butter, and smooth as silk.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:36 PM.