ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   03 640 Oil Level - Creeper?? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296594)

DSM8 12-27-2007 10:12 AM

03 640 Oil Level - Creeper??

i know this has been asked and I checked the index but could not find the answer.

I did the creeper oil change, put in 2 liters of oil per instructions. This included a full changing of all the filters and draining the frame of oil as well. Burped the frame per instructions.

Bike doesnt have any of the noises indicative of low oil but despite the fact I know I put in the right amount I dont see any oil inthe sight window when the bike is parked. It is splashed around when idleing so my questions are.
  • What is the total amount of oil your supposed to add to the 640 when you do a complete filter change and oil drain from all ports.
  • What is the best way to check the oil level in the bike once you have done all this.
:ear

ChrisC 12-27-2007 10:40 AM

Put the bike on the center stand and cold, the oil level should reach the bottom line. With hot (expanded) oil it should be at the upper line.

To test how close you are, rock the bike over to the left on the stand. If it's close the oil in the sump should come into view in the sight glass very quickly... :deal

You can always add a few mL as needed.

p.s. the "complete refill" is stated as 2.1L in the manual. Your level may vary (a tad).

creeper 12-27-2007 12:02 PM

Another way to look at it is that the level should be at or above the lower line when cold (stone cold), and at or below the upper line when hot (at full operating temperature).
As ChrisC indicated, if you think you're under (or over) filled, you can rock the bike side to side on the centerstand to see just how under or over you are.
A few degrees of angle should bring the level into view, as it takes only a few ounces of oil, one way or the other, to see an empty sight glass... or a window full of the stuff. :wink:

C

DSM8 12-27-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
Another way to look at it is that the level should be at or above the lower line when cold (stone cold), and at or below the upper line when hot (at full operating temperature).
As ChrisC indicated, if you think you're under (or over) filled, you can rock the bike side to side on the centerstand to see just how under or over you are.
A few degrees of angle should bring the level into view, as it takes only a few ounces of oil, one way or the other, to see an empty sight glass... or a window full of the stuff. :wink:

C

That is what I thought

"the level should be at or above the lower line when cold (stone cold), "

Since I dont see any I will add some to the crankcase.

Figured since I measured what I put it when I refilled it I was missing somthing.

Thats everyone for your help

meat popsicle 01-17-2008 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to add a note here, to help anyone who is confused by a typo in the manual. This has come up before but that info is probably lost in a larger thread. The picture that explains the oil sight glass marks is labeled by an "A" for the upper mark and a "B" for the lower mark -

BUT THEY SCREWED THE POOCH AND REVERSED THE LABELS (see below)

because in the text the "A" refers the reader to the lower mark and the "B" refers the reader to the upper mark... :doh

So, if you were to trust the manual and filled the engine until the level was at the upper mark (labeled "A" in their picture) WHEN COLD you just overfilled the engine! Again, as creeper described above, the difference in oil volume between the upper and lower marks on the sight glass is the area reserved for thermal expansion - when liquids get warmer they expand - and anything above that line will likely escape your engine through a breather vent attached to the airbox. Look for it in there.

joekanter 06-03-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Just wanted to add a note here, to help anyone who is confused by a typo in the manual. This has come up before but that info is probably lost in a larger thread. The picture that explains the oil sight glass marks is labeled by an "A" for the upper mark and a "B" for the lower mark -

BUT THEY SCREWED THE POOCH AND REVERSED THE LABELS (see below)

because in the text the "A" refers the reader to the lower mark and the "B" refers the reader to the upper mark... :doh

So, if you were to trust the manual and filled the engine until the level was at the upper mark (labeled "A" in their picture) WHEN COLD you just overfilled the engine! Again, as creeper described above, the difference in oil volume between the upper and lower marks on the sight glass is the area reserved for thermal expansion - when liquids get warmer they expand - and anything above that line will likely escape your engine through a breather vent attached to the airbox. Look for it in there.

Wow-that explains it. I'm still a noob, but not an idiot. Thanks Master Meat.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:57 PM.