ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Worried about lack of Cush Drive... any advice? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302159)

cap'n Jack 01-15-2008 11:26 AM

Worried about lack of Cush Drive... any advice?

So, I'm heading up north for the weekend, Los angeles to San Luis Obispo. Not a long trip, most if it was supposed to be off-road but all the good routs out of Los Angeles are closed for the season. So I am forced to slab it all the way up to Soda Lake area. That and the direct route back will put a few hundred miles on my NON cush drive rear wheel...

I ride a 625 SXC. Am I asking for trouble or is this nothing to worry about?

thanks for the advice,
Cooper

Yossarian™ 01-15-2008 12:08 PM

It'll be fine.

cap'n Jack 01-15-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yossarian_47
It'll be fine.

Thanks Yossarian, that's kinda what I thought...

However I think I'll get a second wheel with Cush sometime in the future just to lower the risk of blowing out my transmission.

coop

crazybrit 01-15-2008 01:05 PM

I have a cush rear and a regular on my SXC. If you're running knobbies I wouldn't worry about it. See the FleaMarket for a guy looking for a new rear for his SXC where he trashed the hub. It happens. Probably not in 300 miles even if you were running Saharas (or some non knobbie).

Also OC is the wrong forum for this, it should be posted in thumpers.

roc104 01-15-2008 03:52 PM

I dont remember seeing any transmission issues on an SXC due to a non cushioned hubs on the street...Actually, I dont remember hearing about any transmission issues period. But as Crazybrit said, i have seen a few cracked hubs.

That being said, I installed one on mine for piece of mind :D

crazybrit 01-15-2008 04:11 PM

The tranny is already dampened. It's the hub thats the issue.
If you're doing a lot of street miles on dual-sport tires it's worth adding
as a hub failure at speed could be unpleasant.

cap'n Jack 01-15-2008 04:24 PM

I got ya, so the knobbies help dampen the torque of the wheel, taking the pressure off of the hub. less knobbies more torque on the hub.

Glad to hear that the repair would be on the hub and not the transmission. This definitely gives me piece of mind.

thanks again,
Coop

Beemer Pat 01-15-2008 05:13 PM

all things KTM ... www.ktmtalk.com

Ned1 01-15-2008 05:31 PM

+1 on cracked hubs and the odd broken spoke.

GodSilla 01-15-2008 10:24 PM

Different bike I know, but I have done thousands of kilometres on my XR600 on highway and I've subscribed to the theory that sacrificing knobbies is an effective, if crude, form of damping. Seems to have worked for me so far.....

team ftb 01-15-2008 10:41 PM

The cush drive helps absorb shock loads delivered to the hub through the tranny. Strong shock loads would be strongest during low speed, high traction throttle inputs. for example, tight canyon pavement corners and super motard tracks. Droning along the interstate and cruising on the pavement I believe will transmit minimal loads to your hub.

You should have no problems. Good luck.

Noreaster 01-16-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer Pat

You know, every one loves to pimp that site but I haven't found that there is a lot of information on there. (Admittedly I am a total NooB over there and might not have the place figured out yet). There are a LOT of words typed though. It is my opinion that of all the "other" sites out there you get a more mature and knowledgable demografic on ADVrider and along wiht that the best answers to you questions. YMMV.

Hair 01-16-2008 06:23 AM

Be sure that you have the sprocket bolts torqued down. Use blue locktight to hold them in place. If there is any give in the bolts you will have a problem.

Hair 01-16-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer Pat

Hi Pat, From the looks of things you will be test riding a berg before the summer is out. Saturday I'm headed over to Prescott to pick one up.
Wish me luck.

Loadedagain 01-16-2008 07:22 AM

i have broken hubs of rigid wheels riding on the street. for 300mils you'll probably be ok though. problem is if you crack it you wont know for some time... if it were my only bike i would do it. if i had the extra cash i would spring for a used cush wheel off fleabay.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:45 PM.