ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   640 Adventure Electrical Reliability (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302716)

KTMER 01-17-2008 06:28 AM

640 Adventure Electrical Reliability

I’ve been trying to find info (without much luck) on the reliability of the 640 adventure CDI and other critical electrical components like the ignition coil that the bike will not run without. Some parts you can limp home without but if the CDI goes you’re done if you’re in the middle of nowhere. Even if you’re on paved roads it could be a long wait for a replacement.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Do any of you carry a spare CDI or coil, stator, or other specific electrical component. I know it’s a lot of pricey parts to carry and may never need them. How many have actually been stranded in the middle of nowhere from this type of failure? Mines an 07 btw.

Loadedagain 01-17-2008 07:17 AM

in my years hanging about there i don't recall hearing about any ignition failures. not to say they don't happen, but if they do nobody has mentioned it (that i've seen).

Flueger 01-17-2008 07:49 AM

I researched the same questions, came up with nothing. Only problem I have had electrically was the solenoid wires breaking at the solenoid plug on the bike wiring harness side. This was more just a pain in the backside as the bike would start if you kicked it.

You must be planning a run???:ear

Flueger

Loadedagain 01-17-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flueger
I researched the same questions, came up with nothing. Only problem I have had electrically was the solenoid wires breaking at the solenoid plug on the bike wiring harness side. This was more just a pain in the backside as the bike would start if you kicked it.

You must be planning a run???:ear

Flueger

electrical problems like you mentioned do happen from time to time. in the 25,000miles i had my 640 i had two electrical issues:

1) a wire came loose under the dash. took 30 minutes to diagnose, then fix at the road side

2) a wire broke through and grounded on my sub frame. took about two hours to diagnose and repair in a hotel parking lot as it was getting dark.

i left my cel phone charger on and it drained the battery once too... easy fix for that one though :wink:

KTMER 01-17-2008 08:24 AM

The occasional loose connection I'm ok with and know it will happen at some point, although still a PITA, doing electrical for a living helps with the troubleshooting. I've figured out how to bypass some of the minor switches etc that the bike will run without, I'll pack some premade jumpers just in case. Recently I found the capacitor just about falling off along with the rubber tank mount.

Re planning a run, up into Northern Ontario, maybe James Bay...

Seikkailu_R 01-17-2008 08:33 AM

Ignition pulser?
One possible show stopper.

Max Kool 01-17-2008 08:36 AM

CDI's hardly ever break. If something goes wrong eletrically, in most cases it's connectors and or chafed wiring.

Allgo 01-17-2008 09:23 AM

Double check your wire routing, especially after doing any work that moves things around - sub frame, accessory installs. I've had a few cases of wires rubbing through. Sometimes it takes awhile to diagnose. So I shrink tubed any wires that could potentially rub through. I carry a small spool of wire and fuses. That's about it. Oh, and of course the taillight.

KTMER 01-17-2008 12:21 PM

Good to hear the problems are at a minimum. Thanks for the input

dirtydeeds 01-17-2008 01:04 PM

I have about 50 000 km on mine, no electrical problems YET.
I have a friend with about 150 000 km on her 2000 and I don't remember hearing a story about electrical problems.

Hell though, if you have the cash and the spare room to carry that stuff, go ahead.

clintnz 01-17-2008 02:51 PM

45 000 km on mine & no electrical problems (apart from that damn taillight bulb holder, which is a fairly easy fix) I have noticed the odd vulnerable bit of loom here & there which I have pre-emptively wrapped up or zip tied into a better position though.

Cheers
Clint

bmwktmbill 01-18-2008 04:17 AM

Keep an eye on the fuse holders and give them a little squeeze to tighten the connections. My bike went dead and it was the main fuse holder. The 20 amp one near the battery. Carry twice as many fuses as you think you need, carry a spare head and tail light bulb.

Check the wires where they exit the CDI, they wear against each other. I squirted a gob of silicone glue there.

Plug and unplug everything every 10K miles. I oil my connections, others use dielectric grease. Anything to stop corossion.

Tighten the plug cap connection.

Take your wiring diagram to the copy store and have it supersized, use the best paper or map paper.

Down load and print the electrical troubleshooting section of the factory repair manual.

Buy this Radio Shack multimeter, it's a good one and will do all the tests.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104114

b.

humdinger 01-18-2008 05:35 AM

My '05 has proved pretty sound to date but only 11,500km.
Spade lug on one of the front brake lever popped off and shorted to ground which blew a 10amp fuse next to the battery. Took out the speedo and all lighting.
Battery terminal came loose also but I think a routine check of all electrical and mechanical fasteners (loctite the mechanical) is mandatory on these jackhammers.

KTMER 01-18-2008 10:42 AM

From all the replies I won't be running out to buy a bunch of pricey spare parts :D. Thanks again.

RAHRAH 01-18-2008 12:35 PM

I did have to buy a wiring harness for my 450exc but only a fuse for the 640.:1drink

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:03 PM.