ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   G2Ergo throttle cam & 990 adventure (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317053)

Roeligan 03-02-2008 08:09 AM

G2Ergo throttle cam & 990 adventure

1 word for it: SMOOTH!!!!!

Installed the 400 cam a few days ago... Very smooth now...
Next week I'll try the 200 for onroad (think it will be little better for road only).

stanbloke 03-02-2008 12:07 PM

I fitted one of these with a K300 cam, brilliant.:D :D

Best farkle ever, so much control on the throttle now.:D :clap :clap :clap .

Cpt.Crashtastic 03-02-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanbloke
I fitted one of these with a K300 cam, brilliant.:D :D

Best farkle ever, so much control on the throttle now.:D :clap :clap :clap .

I have the 200 in mine and the 300 in front of my kboard. I feel another experiment coming on as the 200 is still snatchy.

Scrotie 03-02-2008 05:33 PM

Has anyone tried the 300 and 400 back-to-back? If so, what are your thoughts?
I am about to install the 400, and was wondering if the 300 would be enough to relax the throttle a bit.

KrustyKustom 03-02-2008 05:49 PM

My G2..

I bought the G2 that was private labeled by KTM hardparts, I guess it is the same. I installed the 400 cam on my 07, and all I can say is sweet! My bike was not terrible as some have posted, however the G2 added alot of control and finesse that I think will translate to better drivetrain wear and more traction on slippery conditions.

I paid like 95 bucks, but I can say it is a very well built piece. Nice install when you go to do heated grips, but be sure to install a plug on your wiring so that you can remove the heated element if you want to change cams. I like the 400.

Roeligan 03-02-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrustyKustom
Nice install when you go to do heated grips, but be sure to install a plug on your wiring so that you can remove the heated element if you want to change cams. I like the 400.

:freakyWill be installing heated grips late this week... thanks for the tip, hadn't thought of that yet :eek1

hilslamer 03-03-2008 03:14 PM

uh-huh!

I have G2 throttlecams on all of my bikes. I prefer the 300 cam for all but the dunes on my 450 XC-F.

You would be amazed at how many professional supercrossers, off-road and streetbike riders use them but don't tell anyone about it...

viatormundi 05-17-2008 08:23 AM

How difficult, easy is to install this cam? Does anybody have a picture illustration?

fridayn2 05-17-2008 09:14 AM

Install

Installation was at most maybe a few minutes. I have the ktm heatead grips intalled and there is enough slack in the cord that I did not have to instal a plug as some have suggested. Switching cams is just as simple.

Michhub 05-17-2008 04:55 PM

So what are folks ordering/getting?

Is it the Throttle Cam System...
Item #: G2-40-300
http://michhub.smugmug.com/photos/296781731_snKZi-L.jpg

or just the tube and cam of choice to save $$$....???

cool dude 05-17-2008 05:08 PM

Mine

I have tried both the 300 and 400 cams on my 2006 Euro 990. The 300 does take the majority of the small throttle opening sensitivity away and the 400 improves it further. Obviously the sensitivity reduction is at the expense of throttle action. i.e. you have to give the throttle more of a twist to achieve the expected acceleration. At small to no throttle openings I still find that the it is sensitive to bumps and I can sense the surging at constant throttle.

When I fitted the throttle tube (with KTM heated grips) I found that the throttle tube was fairly loose around the bar. I then wrapped the bar with a single layer if insulating tape to try to remove some of the play. This worked fine for about 6 months until last week. The tape finally slipped, wrinkled up and took all of the slack out of the throttle, inducing positive friction. This made if VERY difficult to twist the throttle in either direction. It was so bad that my hand/wrist cramped half way through a 7 hour 2 up ride. On removing the tape the problem was solved but I did notice that the throttle response was far lighter. So much so that now find it difficult to ride smoothly.

The upshot is that I found that lightly wrapping the bar (under the throttle tube) provides just enough friction to further help smooth out the throttle action. All I have to do now is to find a thin tape (or heat shrink) that will provide the required level of friction without slipping and locking the throttle. Any suggestions would be welcome.

wee tee cee 05-17-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cool dude
I have tried both the 300 and 400 cams on my 2006 Euro 990. The 300 does take the majority of the small throttle opening sensitivity away and the 400 improves it further. Obviously the sensitivity reduction is at the expense of throttle action. i.e. you have to give the throttle more of a twist to achieve the expected acceleration. At small to no throttle openings I still find that the it is sensitive to bumps and I can sense the surging at constant throttle.

When I fitted the throttle tube (with KTM heated grips) I found that the throttle tube was fairly loose around the bar. I then wrapped the bar with a single layer if insulating tape to try to remove some of the play. This worked fine for about 6 months until last week. The tape finally slipped, wrinkled up and took all of the slack out of the throttle, inducing positive friction. This made if VERY difficult to twist the throttle in either direction. It was so bad that my hand/wrist cramped half way through a 7 hour 2 up ride. On removing the tape the problem was solved but I did notice that the throttle response was far lighter. So much so that now find it difficult to ride smoothly.

The upshot is that I found that lightly wrapping the bar (under the throttle tube) provides just enough friction to further help smooth out the throttle action. All I have to do now is to find a thin tape (or heat shrink) that will provide the required level of friction without slipping and locking the throttle. Any suggestions would be welcome.

MECHANIC AT MY LOCAL DEALER WAS GREASING THE BAR AND INSTALLING THIN O RINGS,APPARENTLY ITS AN OLD MOTO CROSS TRICK.

Triwi 05-18-2008 03:18 AM

Installed G2 cam (400) then used a sheet of copper shim (Engineers supply store) full length of throttle tube and cut to wrap once round bar with edges meeting. Grease tube and have eliminated all play as well as grease damping the sensitive twist action. Vast improvement in low speed rough terrain control.
Hope this helps
Triwi

Michhub 07-08-2008 10:45 AM

I just installed the throttle tamer essentially just the tube with only the 400 CAM....its fantastic!!!

Footprint 07-09-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viatormundi
How difficult, easy is to install this cam? Does anybody have a picture illustration?

Remove the grip (I used compressed air to slide the rubber off the stock plastic handle).

Loosen and pull out the the bolt on the outside of the hand guards.

Undo the 2 bolts holding the case around the cables to the throttle.

Pull the throttle cam out of the housing and remove the two cable ends (slotted and there is enough play).

Attach chosen throttle cam (100 (stock), 200, 400 come in the kit or get the 300 separate) to the throttle handle body (has a shape that only goes on a certain way).

Put the new assembled throttle cam/handle back on the bar.

Re-attach the cables and bolt the cover back on.

Replace the rubber grip (again compressed air or use a little alcohol).

replace the bolt for the hand guards.

I took this time to also add a Kaoko throttle lock to work as a cruise control. Good time to also add heated grips, or change out the hand guards.

Really easy to do! Good luck.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:37 AM.