ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   2008 Tnjt/nj1000 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338898)

rob23 05-06-2008 09:24 AM

2008 Tnjt/nj1000

Original Thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...17#post6916717

I need to get a head count of everyone that intends to do the entire three days.

Even if you already sent me an email please reply to this post to confirm "in or out". Please only reply if you are 95% sure you are attending.

Sorry, the route will not be given out (please don't ask) if you are not ridding all three days this year. There will be no day riders (sorry) but you must commit to ridding the entire three days in order to join us and get this year's route and info.

All ridding partners must also email me a seperate request, no groups larger than 3.

Once I get all confirmed entries I will send out confirmation info including the route, suggested campsites (I may purchase some group sites depending on turn-out), etc.

This is a self-guided gps ride and there will be no large groups (groups limited to 3 bikes at a time) and it will not be a personally guided tour. I will actually be leaving with sweep riders about an hour or so after everyone else.

Keep in mind this is a 1000 mile "off-road/road ride", please only skilled riders and expert gps navigators need attend. Ridding a 1000 mile route is not a good way to first learn how to use your gps or ride in deep sand.

Please confirm in/out, more details will follow via email.

Thanks,

Rob

sallydog 05-08-2008 05:20 PM

in + 1 other rider

rob23 05-30-2008 10:13 AM

still room for more.. please pm me if your intersted in joining us. Also, if you can only make one or two days I may be able to accomdate you, pm me for more info.

all the routes have been proofed, primed and ready to roll. Very fun stuff to ride and plenty of great sites along the way.

see ya`

06wrx 05-31-2008 04:29 PM

I myself honestly would love to run this if I could run just the last day. With gas prices rising, I dont want to ride to North Jersey (if thats where it starts, as it has in the past) Riding the last day in the area around where I live would be enjoyable. Also, beings I dont have money for GPS, I can ride the entire last section without GPS, I know where it goes.
I think you would see alot more interest if you opened it up to single day riders such as myself, who have various reasons for only wanting to ride for a single day.
Work is also a big factor for me, I can only have off on Saturday, Sunday and Mondays.

If you change your mind about allowing single day riders, feel free to contact me.

Dirtmongrel 05-31-2008 07:50 PM

I agree with 06wrx, I'm in school that week and can't make the friday start, but would love to try and join the mid-southern section on saturday and sunday. I don't have a GPS either but have memorized the sections 5 thru 6 of the '07 trail, just from multiple visits, its a fun ride. I actually use pat of it as my commute home from work... but under the circumstances I can't make the whole ride or guarentee my time of arrival either. I'm sure it will be a great ride for those that have the time.

Kudos to Rob23 and all that made my ride home from work so fun. I originally planned to save gas and now my ride home takes twice as long, but I've never been so happy after my commute home... cheers :clap

rob23 06-02-2008 10:23 AM

Should I ever make it an official santioned ride I will support day riders but now I intentially want to keep the attedence low.

This year's routes are entirely different from last year's.

In regards to ridding without a GPS. A set of tires costs more than a GPS! Two trips to the gas station cost more than a GPS. So, stop making excuses and just buy one already. Motorcycling is an expensive sport to begin with. Riders spent tons of money on gear, tires, tricked out parts to ride faster so why cheap out and not get a gps to really enjoy where you ride. Garmin eTrex Legend Cx costs $150 for a refurbished unit (good as new) from EdgeGps.com. I'm not charging anything for the ride, camping or the routes so take that money you just saved and buy a gps!

</crankymodeoff>

p.s. your welcome for the nice route home.. :D

06wrx 06-02-2008 11:07 AM

I'll be there definitely the last section, might take the ride up for day 2, but I have work from 0400-0900 on Saturday, so I'd miss the start. Are you guys camping from day 2-3, if so any idea where, or is it being left up to the riders?
Also if I can only make the last day, where abouts is a good meeting spot?

rob23 06-02-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06wrx
I'll be there definitely the last section, might take the ride up for day 2, but I have work from 0400-0900 on Saturday, so I'd miss the start. Are you guys camping from day 2-3, if so any idea where, or is it being left up to the riders?
Also if I can only make the last day, where abouts is a good meeting spot?

Check your email and read the entire pdf, all the info is in there. Once we start the route however, there's no telling where we'll be and when. That's the beauty of a self-guided gps route, you ride on your own schedule. That's why you need a gps :deal

06wrx 06-02-2008 09:42 PM

Well after looking at the map, I know where the last days' route runs, I've ridden it all before. I'd like to get a GPS, but like you said, the GPS costs less then a set of tires, and guess what the bike needs...(a set of tires)
So regardless of whether I can afford a GPS or not, the last days route is engraved in my memory, so I can do it with out a GPS. It is on my list of things to buy.
I'd just like to meet up with part of the group so I could ride along insted of by myself.

docgonzo 06-08-2008 11:13 AM

The start

Hey Rob, I had a chance, this morning, to try out the beginning of the 2008 Trans NJ, section 100, 101 and 102. I spent about two hours, and didn't get very close to High Point. Lots of circuitous navigating around Bergen and Passaic.

Couple of notes: The route seems to head right to Ringwood State Park, which has a closed gate, at least on Sundays. Perhaps it's only open to joggers and bicycles on Sunday?

At one point, near Marcella, it goes right through the Boy Scout camp. This won't be very easy to stealth run during the summer, when camp is in full swing.

The rocky section that parallels Clinton Road may be tough on a fully ladened 400 lb. Dual Sport. Challenging for sure. I was a little nervous running it with my SE by myself. With sneakers and jeans! Hope it cools down for your full run. Was hot out there today.

06wrx 06-08-2008 05:02 PM

:stupid
I went out and rode some of the trail down by me today. Not so good of news.

I rode down part of the one "powerline" that it runs down, and got all the way to where it goes out onto the road again(3-4 miles down it) and theres a gate-closed and locked.
I could get around it, but on the other side of the gate are no tresspassing signs-also stating that the property is the power companies.

I will PM you with the location.

toofast4uu 06-08-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ-Bill
The TNJT is such an impressive accomplishment. I feel compelled to publicly thank Rob for doing this. I have ridden several TNJT sections as it was in development. Every time I rode one of the TNJT routes, I had a great time.

THANKS ROB!!... The TNJT is ultra-cool and you are the man. :thumb

P.S. My favorite section is "Poor Man's Safari"... love those Giraffes :lol3.

Absolutely....I use a section of this as my "Hiway" to the pines...I run the turnpike from exit 10 to 8 (about 20 miles) and then I'm off into the woods...

I still get that warm and fuzzy feeling when I go by GA and see the safari animals looking back at me...I dread the day they pave those roads...

SnoDrtRider 06-09-2008 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06wrx
:stupid
I went out and rode some of the trail down by me today. Not so good of news.

I rode down part of the one "powerline" that it runs down, and got all the way to where it goes out onto the road again(3-4 miles down it) and theres a gate-closed and locked.
I could get around it, but on the other side of the gate are no tresspassing signs-also stating that the property is the power companies.

I will PM you with the location.

I don't know how much the route depends on WMA trails but most all gates on the side trails are closed... have been for over a month now, they usually re-open in September for the hunters. This is the first time I've seen them closed before the end of Turkey season.
The main through roads (gravel) are accessible though.

rob23 06-09-2008 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docgonzo
Hey Rob, I had a chance, this morning, to try out the beginning of the 2008 Trans NJ, section 100, 101 and 102. I spent about two hours, and didn't get very close to High Point. Lots of circuitous navigating around Bergen and Passaic.

Couple of notes: The route seems to head right to Ringwood State Park, which has a closed gate, at least on Sundays. Perhaps it's only open to joggers and bicycles on Sunday?

At one point, near Marcella, it goes right through the Boy Scout camp. This won't be very easy to stealth run during the summer, when camp is in full swing.

The rocky section that parallels Clinton Road may be tough on a fully ladened 400 lb. Dual Sport. Challenging for sure. I was a little nervous running it with my SE by myself. With sneakers and jeans! Hope it cools down for your full run. Was hot out there today.

your ridding an old draft, that's not the final route..

docgonzo 06-09-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob23
your ridding an old draft, that's not the final route..

Oh, good, because I didn't like the version I rode! :wink:

Care to send me the latest version by e-mail? I've obviously gotten confused with the revisions.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:26 AM.