ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   f650gs Dakar vs Versys (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341802)

rhino_343 05-14-2008 06:30 PM

f650gs Dakar vs Versys

I would like opinions from people who have ridden both (f650gs Dakar vs Versys) on how they compare. I have a Dakar and I have an opportunity to sell it and get a Versys for a very good price. The Dakar is a great bike, but I have been wanting a twin for a while, ever since I bought a Husky TE610 Thumper anyways. So the Versys would be a two up tourer and everyday bike and the Husky will be the hardcore adventure bike... what do you think?:ricky

warnabrother 05-15-2008 03:37 AM

pfft.. going form Euro brands to the cheapest of Jap brands you will notice the huge difference in build quality.. the Dakar while a little underpowered is a better dirt bike than the Versys but a worse road bike.

For what you have in mind, i.e. a tourer/road bike.. perhaps a VFR or even DL would be a much better option.. the Versys I founf to be okay.. and just okay.. I couldn't like with a) the colour and b) the lack of fit and finish quality

Zapp22 05-15-2008 06:52 AM

NEW F650GS twin.

motoman250f 05-15-2008 08:16 AM

what your saying makes sense. that te would cover all your offroad and overlaps your dakar quite a bit. it looks like your a thrill seaker too which means the versys is your kind of street bike with a little offroad ability. I rode a gs 650 a year ago and felt the versys was only a little worse of a dirt bike,, mostly because of suspension and weight of the gs.. that wasn't a dakar though! i'm sure the dakar with a 21 front wheel would be a much better dirt bike than a versys. you can putter around offroad with the versys but nothing serious. for the same weight the dakar isn't in the same league as the versys for power, even lugging the versys will be much more fun.
If you wanted a real purpose adventure or open road bike the versys may not be a good choice, its not a great 2 up bike either but ok if those rides aren't too long. Good luck!

Terrytori 05-15-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhino_343
I would like opinions from people who have ridden both (f650gs Dakar vs Versys) on how they compare.

Then... '05 Dakar
Now.... '08 Versys

Dakar... think KLR with considerably better road manners.
It has more grunt than the KLR but it's also no Mr. 3% body Fat.

Versys... way... way fun road scoot. Think a Supermoto/SV 650
hybrid. Real fine commuter, light tourer, will kick the Dakar's
butt all over the twisty bits.

I disagree with the build quality comments above. It's nicely put together.
Nothing real trick but then there doesn't need to be. Good brakes...
better than good chassis, better than good motor, better than good handling.

Hmmm... maybe that's why there selling like stink in Europe.

Sounds like a great scoot for what you're looking to do.

Get the hard bags and a taller screen... go cross country.

tshelver 05-15-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warnabrother
pfft.. going form Euro brands to the cheapest of Jap brands you will notice the huge difference in build quality..

Say what? My ZX12R is a far better built and far more reliable bike than the R11GS it replaced could ever hope to be.

And I'd put my VFR up against any BMW for reliability or build quality.

BTDT.

The Versys has been getting great reviews: motorcycle.com has a pretty good one.

warnabrother 05-16-2008 04:09 AM

ah.. but the Honda usually has the highest build quality of the Jap brands..

any Kwaka I have seen, ridden, touched was never finished well.. plastics were crap.. paint shitty and switchgear very cheap in feel..

I wouldn't spend my own money on one

Johnny KLR 05-16-2008 04:16 AM

The Versys is one of the best motorcycles on the road at any price. Well built, well sorted, and wildly entertaining.

With a TE in the garage already, I think the Versys would be an incredible stablemate. I'm looking to put one in my stable, eventually, to compliment my XRR.

warnabrother 05-16-2008 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny KLR
The Versys is one of the best motorcycles on the road at any price.

I am sorry but I have to strongly disagree..
The one I rode had ill fitting plastics.. the plastics still had rough mould marks around their edges.. the paintwork had blemishes and was very thun.. the switchgear was rubbish.. the suspension was average.. the brakes were just okay.. the engine was okay, but just..

the whole bike just screamed "cost cutting" to me.. cheap and nasty.. but it was fun to ride.

hunting1 05-16-2008 08:24 AM

I think the Versys is a great machine and the only fault I find is I would have liked a 19" front tire and better (firmer) front suspension. With the stuff I have added I would go anywhere the other bikes are supposed to go. I have the KLR for dirty, rough stuff. I think it is funny how we compare and complain about dual-sport bikes. We all are looking for the perfect bike, just wish they would build it and it would cost under $13k.

BikePilot 05-16-2008 08:26 AM

The versy is a much better on pavement the dakar is much better on unpaved roads.

Boon Booni 05-17-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warnabrother
I am sorry but I have to strongly disagree..
The one I rode had ill fitting plastics.. the plastics still had rough mould marks around their edges.. the paintwork had blemishes and was very thun.. the switchgear was rubbish.. the suspension was average.. the brakes were just okay.. the engine was okay, but just..

the whole bike just screamed "cost cutting" to me.. cheap and nasty.. but it was fun to ride.

I'm not going to stick up for the Versys, but I have worked on two F650 GS's, and was sorely disappointed in the build quality of those bikes. Everything feels cheep on them. From headlight mounts to taillight mounts, and damn near everything in between.

Stamped steel brake and shift levers. Torx bits everywhere. Ill fitting plastics, nearly impossible to tighten battery lugs etc..

I hate working on my buddies 650GS, everything about it feels poorly made, poorly engineered and difficulty to access. The only thing it's got going for it is that gem of a motor.

warnabrother 05-17-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps
poorly engineered and difficulty to access. The only thing it's got going for it is that gem of a motor.

no arguments there... but I do feel it's better than the Kwaka..

Rhino - go look for yourself mate.. the only way you can decide

guesswork 05-17-2008 06:07 PM

Good Deal on Versys

What did you find Rhino, I'm also looking (buying).

rhino_343 05-18-2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guesswork
What did you find Rhino, I'm also looking (buying).

Mate the deal I found wont't help you... we are at opposites sides of the planet! You guys get a WAY better deal on bikes in the States than we do down under.

Thanks for the comments everyone else... I will try and ride one myself this week. I have looked at the bike before but didn;t ride it, I got to say the finish looked pretty good to me... but I come from a dirt bike background not a road bike one and hence anything painted and shiny impresses me!:deal
I will post my comments once I have had a blast on it!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:25 PM.