ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   dr650 vs wr250r (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353622)

stormsearcher 06-18-2008 05:20 PM

dr650 vs wr250r

narrowed my choices to the dr or the wr250r.has anybody owned both ?can you pls post your feedback.

the dr-cheaper to buy but needs mods like forks/jetkit/handlebars etc.-jetting/tuning

the wr-needs an aftermarket pipe like the FMFq4-/no jetting nothing/

the dr ends up to be as expensive as the wr.
wr on daily commute returns about 25kmpl/
wr does trail very well/and commutes with ease.can be a bit of hoon toy as well
whats the max speed of the dr?what is comfortable cruising speed?

any feedback from owners or riders who have had both bikes very welcome. cheers

Krusty ... 06-18-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormsearcher
narrowed my choices to the dr or the wr250r.has anybody owned both ?can you pls post your feedback.

the dr-cheaper to buy but needs mods like forks/jetkit/handlebars etc.-jetting/tuning

the wr-needs an aftermarket pipe like the FMFq4-/no jetting nothing/

the dr ends up to be as expensive as the wr.
wr on daily commute returns about 25kmpl/
wr does trail very well/and commutes with ease.can be a bit of hoon toy as well
whats the max speed of the dr?what is comfortable cruising speed?

any feedback from owners or riders who have had both bikes very welcome. cheers

Bone stock, the DR is good for 100 mph or so, and mine likes to cruise around 80 mph, and will do it all day. Fuel mileage will suffer at that pace, however. The stock tank only holds 3.4 gallons, so range is a factor, but the aftermarket can address that, too.

SwitchThrottle 06-18-2008 07:07 PM

I am just curious, how did you get to the dr650se vs wr250r as the two bikes that you are considering? :scratch They are so far at the opposite sides of the technology vs. displacement spectrum. Have you riden either of them? One is a small block chevy torque monster, and the other is a honda vtec 4 rev box.

stormsearcher 06-18-2008 07:39 PM

ridden wr/had a yamaha 3aj tenere 600

test rode the wr. found it a scream. nimble,great performer,fast.great suspension.etc.-also i like FI and new technology.my last 4 bikes(1vfr800,3xgsxr1000)all had FI.cant do the carbies anymore.

the tenere 3aj dakar version was one of my fav bikes. a bit heavy.

the reason i like the wr is i can take it to more hardcore dirt roads,trails,jump it over logs etc.

the dr seems to need a lot of work on forks,carb jetting,tuning etc.
i am only 65kgs.and i want to hoon. my dailly commute will be tight twisty bumpy tramac.basically dirt roads with tarmac on them

lastmanout 06-18-2008 08:00 PM

I have owned two DR650SE, and they are dependable, cheap to keep, lower tech tractors of a dual-sport and a bit heavy. Better on the highway and for riding two up, etc. I have a 06 KLX250s, and it is a bunch better in the woods, but is down on top end speed when doing short hauls in heavy freeway traffic (scary). The WR250 has more juice, but a 250 will be short of the torque of a larger engine. You alone can decide.

SwitchThrottle 06-18-2008 08:07 PM

Sounds like you already made your decision. :deal The DR guys will all say the same thing as lastmanout (torque, dependable, etc.) WR seems like a no brainer. Go for it!:evil

jester1542 06-18-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

test rode the wr. found it a scream. nimble,great performer,fast.great suspension.etc.-also i like FI and new technology.my last 4 bikes(1vfr800,3xgsxr1000)all had FI.cant do the carbies anymore.

the tenere 3aj dakar version was one of my fav bikes. a bit heavy.

the reason i like the wr is i can take it to more hardcore dirt roads,trails,jump it over logs etc.

the dr seems to need a lot of work on forks,carb jetting,tuning etc.
i am only 65kgs.and i want to hoon. my dailly commute will be tight twisty bumpy tramac.basically dirt roads with tarmac on them

If you only weight 65Kg then you probably won't need suspension work on the DR unless you are doing some serious trail riding. The Carb jetting/tuning doesn't really change the power available but more the throttle response and again may not be needed. If you go with the jetting and preliminary carb work (air box mods and the like) the cost is pretty minimial (less then $100). One consideration is the DR will probably be more stable on the highway in cross winds or gusty wind conditions. About the only real requirements for the DR would be a skid plate (if you want to do a lot of off road), possibly a seat, and maybe a larger fuel tank (which can be worked around by carrying extra fuel).

twotired 06-19-2008 03:28 AM

spooky... thats my two current possibilties as well :huh :ear

Dirtgrain 06-19-2008 07:10 AM

I've considered them both, as well, along with the DRZ400, although I'm thinking I'd rather buy used to save money, which rules out the WR for now. I'm looking to do commuting (mostly 40-55 mph highway and dirt roads (if I want to take them), dirt road exploring, and trying a bit of offroad (I keep thinking about the Six Days of Michigan Ride), but I have no offroad experience. I have a 1991 DR350S, but I still have to work on it to get it in running condition (and I can't get it to kickstart--only bump starts), and then I don't know if I'd trust it for commuting.

Cuttle 06-19-2008 07:20 AM

I've owned a DR250 and currently ride a DR650.

I sold the 250 a few years back, because it was a pain to commute on the Interstate (bid semis aren't supposed to pass you) :umph.

Just last week I got the 650: great for commuting, and my initial worries about the weight in the dirt are unfounded - the bike is acctualy very easy to ride

But what do I know - I'm just a girl (ok middleaged women)

foothills 06-19-2008 12:38 PM

stormsearcher, I was in a similar process last couple of weeks. Now own a 05 DR650 with the usual mods but took a couple test rides on a wr250r and am picking it up at the dealer's Saturday am. DR is for sale now (Vermont Craigslist).

As others have said DR is low tech, tractor-like power, heavy on nasty trails, reliable and comfortable on the road. I found it hard to ride it over 60mph on the road. The DR does not like to run at high rpm.

The WR250R needs to be ridden like a two-stroke MX bike, lots of revving, the power is up there, not on the bottom. I like the fuel injection, ergos and dirt-ability compared to the DR. On my test rides I got the WR up to 65 mph in no time, 5th and 6th gears are overdrives. Took it into some sandy trails and could flick it around must better than the DR, no surprise here. It fit me good at 6', 230lbs. Shouldn't need too many mods out of the box, maybe skid plate, hand guards, dirtbagz.

I don't think the DR is any quicker than the WRR on the road. The WR is also super smooth, no vibes. It's just plain fun to ride. It isnt a highway machine, but neither is the DR. I'm gonna use it around town and to hit trails as much as I can this summer/fall.

Sounds like you liked the test ride...

jester1542 06-19-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foothills

As others have said DR is low tech, tractor-like power, heavy on nasty trails, reliable and comfortable on the road. I found it hard to ride it over 60mph on the road. The DR does not like to run at high rpm.

Just curious but how was it hard to ride over 60mph on the road? If your talking wind due to no screen I can see that but is there something else you encountered? We are about the same size, 6' 230lbs, and I've encounted no problem on the road when going faster then 60mph (almost the opposite as I have a tendency to speed).

foothills 06-20-2008 05:17 AM

Jester, the DR is running a 14t countersprocket so real highway speeds have it revving higher than it feels comforatable to do for any amount of time. No issues with wind, etc. The WRR feels smoother and less busy at 6omph +, but I'll know if this holds up after putting some miles on the WRR. Don't get me wrong, I like the DR, I also like changing bikes every year.

Giddy Goanna 06-20-2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

narrowed my choices to the dr or the wr250r.

My next two considered bike choices as well Stormy.
Likewise, I am also 65kg.

Both are broad focus, low maintenance trail bikes.
I think the WR250R does everything better than the DR650 except price.
Both are similar value for money.
From your intended usage, I think you'd have a ball on the WR250R.
You can lower the seat height by an inch via adjustment at base of shock.
Further lowering of seat height can be acheived by purchasing "Yama Link" for USD$165.

I think I'd develop a closer bond to the DR (simplicity, air cooling, range of accessories), but have more fun on the WR (hoonability, light weight, smooth but revvy motor.)

Waiting for RV Aqualine (Safari Tanks) to bring out larger capacity tank for the WR250R. Even without it, the WR is a great ride straight out of the crate.

Keep us informed :ear

montesa_vr 06-20-2008 09:53 AM

I think a DR650 vs. WR250R comparison makes some sense. One of the main reasons dual sports have grown to over 600cc is for highway travel. Unfortunately, along the way they passed the 300 pound wet threshold and became less suitable for tough trails.

Now along comes the WR250R with several road tests and many threads on ADVrider and Thumpertalk all raving about the wide ratio 6-speed, the silky smooth engine, and the unusual horsepower for a 250. If we have a 300 pound wet motorcycle that rivals the 650 class for freeway comfort, it seems to me the discussion is worth having.

I guess the next question would be which would bother you more on a gnarly trail -- the Suzuki's extra 60-70 pounds of weight or the WR's 125 motocross bike style powerband? I don't think there's any question that a WR250R would spank a DR650 on a motocross track.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:40 AM.