ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New Delorme PN-40 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358378)

rwamf 07-01-2008 05:22 PM

New Delorme PN-40

Looks like they made some serious improvements,
http://rwamf.com/PN20/earthmate-pn-40.jpg
click the photo for the specs

* NEW! Super high-sensitivity 32-channel Cartesio chipset by STMicroelectronics delivers near-instantaneous signal acquisition and ConstantLock™ satellite retention
* NEW! Dual-core processor for rapid screen re-draws, even with large aerial imagery files
* NEW! 500 MB of onboard Flash memory (1 GB total hard drive)
* NEW! 3-axis electronic compass with included accelerometer performs when held in any position—while in motion or standing still
* NEW! Sensitive barometric altimeter for reliably accurate altitude readings
* NEW! Supports SDHC high-capacity SD cards—32 GB or higher
* NEW! Fast USB 2.0 data transfer to internal memory or SD card in device
* NEW! More detailed onboard base map data for the U.S., now with secondary and connector roads (along with major highways and thoroughfares for the entire world)
* 65K-color daylight-readable TFT screen for clarity in any light conditions
* WAAS-enabled for accuracy within 3 meters
* Topo USA 7.0 software with complete U.S topo and street maps included—no extra purchase required. Also displays USGS 7.5-min quads, aerial imagery, and NOAA nautical charts via online download from DeLorme
* PN-40 scheduled for Fall 2008 release

Dr.Z 11-10-2008 08:03 PM

Anybody out there in ADV world have one of these? :ear I'm curious to see if it's faster than the PN-20 and how it compares to the Garmin 60csx. I like the Delorme maps but I wish the PN-20 had faster screen redraws and routing capabilities. :deal

PhilSpace 11-10-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwamf

* NEW! 500 MB of onboard Flash memory (1 GB total hard drive)

:confused

rwamf 11-11-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Z
Anybody out there in ADV world have one of these? :ear I'm curious to see if it's faster than the PN-20 and how it compares to the Garmin 60csx. I like the Delorme maps but I wish the PN-20 had faster screen redraws and routing capabilities. :deal

Still not released, should be in my hands by the end of the month.
The reviews I have read say it is almost instantaneous on the screen redraws even with high resolution color imagery, and it also keeps you centered on the screen now , so is it faster than the 20, it is WAY FASTER. also the screen scrolling is very fast too.
I will give a review once I have time to test it out.,
The subscription service for high resolution imagery is online and is fantastic ( $30 year) I have already download a bunch of stuff I plan on riding next year, very neat.

Dr.Z 11-11-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwamf
Still not released, should be in my hands by the end of the month.
The reviews I have read say it is almost instantaneous on the screen redraws even with high resolution color imagery, and it also keeps you centered on the screen now , so is it faster than the 20, it is WAY FASTER. also the screen scrolling is very fast too.
I will give a review once I have time to test it out.,
The subscription service for high resolution imagery is online and is fantastic ( $30 year) I have already download a bunch of stuff I plan on riding next year, very neat.

Great! Thanks. I went to their website and it looks like they are shipping the new units. Just didn't know if anybody played around with one yet. I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the 40 until I read some positive feedback. BTW, the PN-20 was the first GPS that I bought and never checked Garmin or other units before I bought the 20. The Garmin 60CSX is blazing fast on the screen redraws and auto route when compared with the 20. :bluduh

I'm looking forward to your review of the 40! :lurk

bombarde 11-11-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Great! Thanks. I went to their website and it looks like they are shipping the new units.

Nope. Still taking pre-orders.

dlh62c 11-17-2008 07:13 AM

Ship date is close at hand. I preordered a PN-40SE in October.

http://forum.delorme.com/viewforum.p...6fb36a319ef999

daryl

Dr.Z 11-20-2008 08:51 PM

There's a few reviews on the Delorme forums about the new unit. Looks promising. I'm still going to wait several months before ordering one to make sure any bugs (if any) are worked out. :deal

Jonnylotto 11-20-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Great! Thanks. I went to their website and it looks like they are shipping the new units. Just didn't know if anybody played around with one yet. I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the 40 until I read some positive feedback. BTW, the PN-20 was the first GPS that I bought and never checked Garmin or other units before I bought the 20. The Garmin 60CSX is blazing fast on the screen redraws and auto route when compared with the 20. :bluduh

I'm looking forward to your review of the 40! :lurk

But the PN20 is much better at keeping tracks and for me I like having a record of where I've been more than autorouting.

I'm also keeping a strong eye on the PN40, especially since I already have the cradle, travel kit, etc from the 20.:lol3

Jonnylotto 11-20-2008 09:41 PM

Just a heads up:

http://thegpsstore.com has the PN 40 for 349.95, $50 bucks off retail.:wings

I just ordered one with $9.95 second day air UPS shipping. :lol3

Dr.Z 11-20-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
Just a heads up:

http://thegpsstore.com has the PN 40 for 349.95, $50 bucks off retail.:wings

I just ordered one with $9.95 second day air UPS shipping. :lol3

Nice! :clap

Dr.Z 12-01-2008 06:05 AM

Any in depth reviews on this unit yet? :ear

ramz 12-01-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Am I to assume you purchased a subscription but don't have the PN-40? But you do have the PN-20?

What format are the maps: jpeg, pict, tiff, other proprietary?

How do you download the maps: click and save? Or do you need proprietary software?

Is there a sample available?

I'm thinking I'd lke to subscribe if I could use the data in off-the-shelf mapping software (not XMap or Topo USA).
Or maybe buy Topo USA just to be able to access the maps on my PC, nevermind getting a PN-xx.

rwamf 12-01-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramz
Am I to assume you purchased a subscription but don't have the PN-40? But you do have the PN-20?

How do you download the maps: click and save? Or do you need proprietary software?

Is there a sample available?

I'm thinking I'd lke to subscribe if I could use the data in off-the-shelf mapping software (not XMap or Topo USA).
Or maybe buy Topo USA just to be able to access the maps on my PC, nevermind getting a PN-xx.

I have a PN-20 and got my PN-40 last week, The two are the same size and shape but that is where the similarities end, The 40 is so much faster , the 20 is never going to be used again.
I had a good chance to use the 40 this weekend and it did a stellar job, I down loaded some color aerial images for the area we were riding and they were very handy, The screen redraws are very fast and scrolling is easier than ever. It's track logging is great and the auto save when full is great.
As far as the data I do not believe you can use it in anything but Delorme software . Topo 7.0 is great, and it comes with the PN-40, It is the best deal for small handheld GPS's right now.
The screen is very easy to see in daylight and the topo maps are the best for a handheld, Not all cluttered up like the Garmin Topo.
You can turn off the topo detail and make the maps look like street maps and it does "Auto Routing" which is usable unlike the PN-20's which was worthless.
This is the GPS of choice for my Dirt bikes.
that is till the PN-60???

ramz 12-01-2008 09:52 AM

To repeat:

How reasonable would it be to use Topo USA on my PC to import and export gpx files that will be on my PC and use the subscription to access very good maps? I will use other software and another GPS receiver to take care of my route and track log data collection. I don't want to buy the PN-40 at this time; maybe a larger screen PN-xx later. So I'm proposing to keep my current GPS receivers (not Delorme) but use the Delorme software for on-the-computer planning and review. I do not auto route, computer or receiver.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:33 AM.