ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   '03 KTM Adventure clutch switch (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37721)

creeper 03-28-2004 11:34 AM

KTM LC4 clutch lock-out switch
 
1 Attachment(s)
The information below pertains to the US ’03 KTM 640 Adventure. It may also be of use to any street legal KTM LC4 model including the enduro, Duke and Motard... and possibly the 950 Adventure.

For almost a year now I’ve been pondering as to why my bike must be in neutral to start. Obviously, I haven’t pondered that much or I would have investigated the issue sooner.
Anyway, after reading the translated (?) starting description and staring at the wiring diagram, I came to the conclusion that there was a problem with either my clutch switch or the diode it is wired to and I should in fact be able to start the bike in any gear with the clutch pulled in.

I removed the fairing, hooked a multimeter to the two-pin plug connection on the clutch switch and saw no change in resistance when I pulled in the lever… Ah Ha! Bad switch!
I removed the offending switch and retested it (yes, I’m like that) and found less than 1 ohm continuity when I pushed the plunger in with my finger… Ah Ha! Good switch!

Apparently, after examining the parts, it appears that the relationship of switch plunger, the “bump” on the clutch lever intended to depress the plunger, and there proximity to each other was insufficient to engage the switch.
I could see no way to make the lever “bump” higher, or to extend the plunger, so I looked at ways to increase the depth in which the switch screwed into the clutch master cylinder casting.
If I had a mill, it would have been a simple thing to “face off” a bit of the boss (oddly enough, about .060”) that extends out away from the master cylinder casting, allowing the switch (and plunger) to go deeper into the casting, and the plunger to be in closer proximity to the clutch lever.
Instead, I used a hand held lathe, designed to turn down the necks of benchrest rifle cartridge cases, to remove approximately .060” from the shoulder of the switch.
This was sufficient for the lever to fully depress the switch plunger, providing continuity for the diode and finally… in gear starts for me. Ta Da!

I may be the only one on the planet that had this problem… but I doubt it.

Creeper

First view is relationship of parts

creeper 03-28-2004 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A view of the switch and material removed (shiny area)

creeper 03-28-2004 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A view of the master cylinder boss.

dagwood 03-28-2004 01:06 PM

Mine took a dump and would periodicly "kill" the motor while in motion. Nada, not gonna happen again. thew that pos away. Beware if anyone else rides my bike, it will start in gear with the clutch out. :evil

Frank Warner 03-28-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagwood
Mine took a dump and would periodicly "kill" the motor while in motion. Nada, not gonna happen again. thew that pos away. Beware if anyone else rides my bike, it will start in gear with the clutch out. :evil

That can be a handy feature .. pushing the bike out of a river (motor won't start) and you cannot push it over a log/bump simply use the starter to get you over that hard bit.. not for continuous use though.

And Yes - the cluctch switches and side stand switchs on all of my bikes have been removed.. problems waitin to happen if you ask me.

rapiti 03-28-2004 03:21 PM

POS hydraulic clutch!

creeper 03-28-2004 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagwood
Mine took a dump and would periodicly "kill" the motor while in motion. Nada, not gonna happen again. thew that pos away. Beware if anyone else rides my bike, it will start in gear with the clutch out. :evil

Yea, I considered bagging the whole starter "safety" package. I want to see if it all works for awhile, correctly, before I do.

Creeper

Gary 03-29-2004 05:15 AM

Safety switches...
 
My sidestand switch failed a couple of weeks ago on my LC4E, bike only has 3000 miles, but the wires take a beating under there where the switch is. Removed the wire and re-inserted the electrics source pins (under the seat) together and problem solved for that switch. Looks like I need to get a different bolt for the sidestand inorder to actually remove the (now disconnected) switch itself.

Anyone care to offer a quick rundown on removing/disabling the clutch switch on an LC4 w/cable clutch?

Thanks,
Gary

dagwood 03-29-2004 08:06 AM

cut the wires and solder them together, put a piece of shrink toobing over the exposed end and stuff it back under top tripple clamp.

Gary 03-29-2004 11:08 AM

clutch wire...
 
Thanks Dagwood. That seems simple enough!

Gary

kurtw 03-30-2004 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary
My sidestand switch failed a couple of weeks ago on my LC4E, bike only has 3000 miles, but the wires take a beating under there where the switch is. Removed the wire and re-inserted the electrics source pins (under the seat) together and problem solved for that switch. Looks like I need to get a different bolt for the sidestand inorder to actually remove the (now disconnected) switch itself.

When I installed my KTM sidestand, I first removed the switch. I believe that the small bolt that holds the switch serves only that purpose, so with the switch gone, I didnt bother replacing the bolt.

gozell 03-31-2004 12:31 PM

Hi Creeper,

Your post made my realise that im having the same problem with my 03 Adv, unable to start with clutch pulled in...

Had a quick fiddle and pulled the clutch switch from its socket without too much trouble... Perhaps i need to screw it in again or do some like you described above..

Will have a closer look tomorrow.

Grtz

creeper 03-31-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gozell
Hi Creeper,

Your post made my realise that im having the same problem with my 03 Adv, unable to start with clutch pulled in...

Had a quick fiddle and pulled the clutch switch from its socket without too much trouble... Perhaps i need to screw it in again or do some like you described above..

Will have a closer look tomorrow.

Grtz

Test the switch off the bike... it probably works. If you know someone with a small lathe, that would be the easiest way to turn down the shoulder of the switch.

Thats two. If it goes five, I'm gona' contact KTM.

Creeper

BlownCJ 04-18-2004 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
Test the switch off the bike... it probably works. If you know someone with a small lathe, that would be the easiest way to turn down the shoulder of the switch.

Thats two. If it goes five, I'm gona' contact KTM.

Creeper

im there to creep my new bike only starts in neutral with clutch out :eek1

if ya stall it your fucked :huh

got my 03 adv on friday in new hampshire put on 17 tooth ctrshft abd 42 rear sprocket ......... made to my home in north ga sunday morning at 6 am
grand happy ass total 1270 miles .... :deal

BARRY new 03 640 adv

creeper 04-18-2004 02:33 PM

Thats three. That is three isn't it? :lol3


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014