ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   2008 F650gs (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384634)

obsidian 09-14-2008 03:01 AM

2008 F650gs

Just curious if anyone has opinions or thoughts about the 650GS for fire roads and gravel roads? Will the rims be ok for that sort of riding?

JRWooden 09-15-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsidian
Just curious if anyone has opinions or thoughts about the 650GS for fire roads and gravel roads? Will the rims be ok for that sort of riding?

As far as I know we have no first-hand reports (good or bad) on the 658 cast rims.

While they are cast rims, they look more beefy than many I have seen. Also, apparently the 800 spoked rims aren't really as beefy as you might suspect...

See the pictures at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154536

So ... you might buy an 800 and STILL decide the rims are not "fit for purpose" ? :huh

Jim

blackie 09-15-2008 11:18 AM

Been riding mine on fire roads. No problems with the rims. Tire are a different story. The stock ones are fine for normal travel but if you plan on more aggressive riding especially on loose dirt/gravel knobbies like the TKC would be better.

RobTheRigger 09-15-2008 03:09 PM

Chatting about this on another thread. Blackie, what do you think about throwing some X Country rims and knobbies on the 650 for a little more serious dirt riding? Not motocross, but not groomed dirt roads either.

-Rob

blackie 09-24-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin650GS
Chatting about this on another thread. Blackie, what do you think about throwing some X Country rims and knobbies on the 650 for a little more serious dirt riding? Not motocross, but not groomed dirt roads either.

-Rob

Sorry didn't see this earlier..
The xcountry rims might work if it fits....

RobTheRigger 09-28-2008 02:19 PM

From the BMW website.
F650GS
<TABLE class=alternatinRowsTable id=wheels_tires_spec_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=rowA><TD class=propName scope=row>Front Wheel</TD><TD class=wide>2.50 x 19 cast aluminum</TD></TR><TR class=rowB><TD class=propName scope=row>Rear Wheel</TD><TD class=wide>3.50 x 17 cast aluminum</TD></TR><TR class=rowA><TD class=propName scope=row>Front Tire</TD><TD class=wide>110/80 x 19 tubeless</TD></TR><TR class=rowB><TD class=propName scope=row>Rear Tire</TD><TD class=wide>140/80 x 17 tubeless</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

XCountry
<TABLE class=alternatinRowsTable id=wheels_tires_spec_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=rowA><TD class=propName scope=row>Front Wheel</TD><TD class=wide>2.50 x 19 wire-spoke</TD></TR><TR class=rowB><TD class=propName scope=row>Rear Wheel</TD><TD class=wide>3.00 x 17 wire-spoke</TD></TR><TR class=rowA><TD class=propName scope=row>Front Tire</TD><TD class=wide>100/90 x 19 tube-type</TD></TR><TR class=rowB><TD class=propName scope=row>Rear Tire</TD><TD class=wide>130/80 x 17 tube-type</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hope this helps.

-Rob

blackie 09-28-2008 05:14 PM

Yeah the numbers look about right, just wondering about the other stuff like brake rotor, sprocket mounts etc if those will fit too.

RobTheRigger 09-28-2008 06:34 PM

That and axle spacing, too.

mrpete64 09-29-2008 06:52 AM

I am seriously considering the 650 due to the fact that I "fit" better on it. I broke right leg and it is easier to throw my leg over the 650 due to the fact that is a bit lower. My only concern is that I want to go to South American on it and wonder about the cast wheels. I really don't think that I am going to "bash" it over big rocks/trees/and truck parts if I can help it.
I appreciate any "insights" you might offer about the cast wheels. I realize that if one hits anything big enough it will take out either type of wheel.

Again...thanks for you comments.

Mr. Pete--->

blackie 09-29-2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpete64
I am seriously considering the 650 due to the fact that I "fit" better on it. I broke right leg and it is easier to throw my leg over the 650 due to the fact that is a bit lower. My only concern is that I want to go to South American on it and wonder about the cast wheels. I really don't think that I am going to "bash" it over big rocks/trees/and truck parts if I can help it.
I appreciate any "insights" you might offer about the cast wheels. I realize that if one hits anything big enough it will take out either type of wheel.

Again...thanks for you comments.

Mr. Pete--->

Cast rims -> Tubeless tyres -> easier to repair punctures on the side of the road :1drink

huckleberry 09-29-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackie
Cast rims -> Tubeless tyres -> easier to repair punctures on the side of the road :1drink

what he said!--that was 1 of the reasons i went with the 650 over the 800 have been bombing around on dirt roads since i got mine and think its great! don't even mind the tires-mind you i'm not trying to maintain dakar speeds- but running 40-60 mph its cool have 1100 miles on and about 1/2 is dirt

RobTheRigger 09-30-2008 03:08 PM

I asked Woody about spoked wheels in the Vendor Forum, and got this.

Post 946

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...145899&page=64

-Rob

Navaho 09-30-2008 04:26 PM

I think that as long as you maintain good pressure in the tires (over 30 psi) the rims will be ok for almost anything you would attempt on the 650. I went uphill on two long runs of concrete steps last week and the rims survived. Maybe not much of a test as hitting a pothole at over 60 but just don't think that there's much to worry about if you keep the psi up.

RobTheRigger 09-30-2008 05:04 PM

Don't you usually air down for off-road?

When are you planning on modding your 650 for a trials bike? :D I don't have any stair climbing skillz!:bow

-Rob

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:17 AM.