ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Magic Break-In Oil? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391857)

DolphinJohn 10-03-2008 04:07 PM

Magic Break-In Oil?

I picked up my F800GS yesterday, and I asked the dealer for an oil filter so I could change the oil and filter after the first 50 or so miles.
He told me not to change it until 600 miles because it had break-in oil in it, and it wouldn't have a chance to work if not left in for 600 miles.
umm, ok
Then the tech giving me the new bike checklist talk, told me the tires had 42 lbs. because he felt the bike handled better and the tires weared better-lasted longer that way.
I've only ridden about 30 miles, but it feels like they're too hard.
every little bump is exaggerated
Any thoughts?

jstcrashnthru 10-03-2008 04:34 PM

Find a new dealer.

I rode my Strom fairly hard. More or less along the lines of the Motoman break in precedure. I changed the oil at 50, 100, 200, 500, and 1500 miles. Oil and filters are cheap insurance. Then switched to full synthetic.

Check the factory recomendations on those tires. I think they might be more than a tad overinflated.

JRWooden 10-04-2008 05:48 AM

I had the same tire pressure experience @ my dealer -- they put in 42/42.

The manual calls for 32/36 psi (printed on back cover of the owner's manual & on a label under seat) if just the driver and no luggage. I agree 42/42 is a bit too firm....
I'm running 34/38 and it seems good.

slide 10-04-2008 12:46 PM

42 front sounds way too much. Even 42 rear too much especially if solo.

There IS break in oil in airplane reciprocal engines but not for modern ground vehicle engines. I do the hard run before 20 miles routine and then like you change the oil at 50-100 miles and then again at 600.

Did the SERVICE MANAGER tell you about break in oil? If so, I"d be a bit leery of the dealership.

Motoriley 10-04-2008 04:21 PM

Dealers magic oil

One of the sad things about a lot of dealers is how they get some wanker who knows nothing to hand you the keys to your new bike. When my friend picked up her brand new 2004 F650 in Montreal the guy didn't know how to check the oil or remove the seat. If it isn't the service manager or one of the mechanics giving the advice it is worthless. You will find out pretty quick that the average owner here knows more about their particular bike than the average sales guy. Once while talking to a salesman I asked if a bike across the room had ABS. He said he would go check the file and see.....I took a few steps till I could make out the ABS rings on the wheels...

Dirtysouth 10-04-2008 06:32 PM

I've always been under the impression that "break-in" oil is just regular dino oil :dunno . I've always rode the bike like I stole it and change the oil more than once before the 600 mile service. You definitely won't hurt the bike by changing the oil before the first service.

McB 10-04-2008 07:10 PM

I test drove a Toyota pickup in 1993, and commented that it seemed roomier than the Mazda and Nissan I had driven. The salesman said the only difference between the Nissan and Mazda was the Mazda had a rotary engine.

I offered to buy the truck if he'd get a reasonable trade-in value on my Stanza. He told me I should get quotes from other dealers and they'd see if they could match them. He said that's how all the dealers work.

I told him that made no sense and asked him, if that's true, where do you start?

He said he wasn't sure; maybe the Ford dealer that had 'no haggle' pricing.

It really happened.

I think he was new.

They can't all be winners.

Motoriley 10-05-2008 07:17 AM

Salesman

I was shopping around for a new Digital video camera for work and had a similar experience. Started calling around and no one would give me a price since I was "shopping around". They all said "Get a price and we'll beat it". No one would give me a price so I called the first guy back and pulled a price out of thin air that was way low. He hemmed and hawed and beat it. Lesson learned.

Boon Booni 10-05-2008 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoriley
I was shopping around for a new Digital video camera for work and had a similar experience. Started calling around and no one would give me a price since I was "shopping around". They all said "Get a price and we'll beat it". No one would give me a price so I called the first guy back and pulled a price out of thin air that was way low. He hemmed and hawed and beat it. Lesson learned.

:clap
:rofl

D-man 10-05-2008 07:40 AM

The only thing about "break in" oil is that you dont want any synthetics in the motor, the rings wont seat as well. if they dont seat (wear in) in the first 500 miles the rough cylinder hone is wore off and they never get much better. it is even more important with 2 strokes not to use synthetic 2 stroke oil at first.

slide 10-05-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-man
The only thing about "break in" oil is that you dont want any synthetics in the motor, the rings wont seat as well. if they dont seat (wear in) in the first 500 miles the rough cylinder hone is wore off and they never get much better. it is even more important with 2 strokes not to use synthetic 2 stroke oil at first.

I think if you do some research, you'll find the synth vs. no seat rings story is just another urban legend right up there with the synth being so slippery, it'll ruin your clutch.

D-man 10-06-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slide
I think if you do some research, you'll find the synth vs. no seat rings story is just another urban legend right up there with the synth being so slippery, it'll ruin your clutch.

Havent broke in very many 2 stroke motors have you?

slide 10-07-2008 07:08 AM

Quote:

None. Was he talking about a 2 stroke? I doubt it.

Parigi 10-07-2008 07:50 AM

In another life I used to sell oils, so here is my two cents. The manufacturer produced a break-in oil, which was sold only to OEMs as first fill. It was mineral based, with less friction-reducing additives, but more with more detergent and dispersants. I hope this helps.

Dave Lindhorst 10-07-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

I have and I have used syn on every one and guess what. They all burned oil hahahahahahah.

They were absolutely fine. Some even went to race about 1 mile after being built. Never had a single problem and always had great compression too. I don't think it is a big deal. I also broke my Kawasaki Triples in with Syn and it was a totally new oil in the 70s. Did it with 2 of them and they were faster than most other peoples of the same displacement. My snowmobiles never saw regular oil and they ran like clocks.

As far as original fill oil is concerned, every GM and Ford vehicle worldwide, with the exception of the ones that have syn from the factory have Petro Canada Oil in the crankcase and the transmissions. The oil is the same oil you can buy at the suppliers. No such thing as break in oil in the Petro Canada product line. This information is correct as of late last week.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:19 AM.