ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Will the F650 GS be a good bike? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415259)

damasovi 12-13-2008 07:54 PM

Will the F650 GS be a good bike?

HI,

The other weekend I went to the bike show in Long Beach CA and got on the new twin F650 GS, and I really what I had there, everything was like "custom made" for me.

So I was looking at the price tag and the spec sheet and I like what I see, it is not out of my possibilities and the power looks more than good. Now I have a KLR 650 with all it's 34 HP so the 71 HP (claim by BMW) will be more than twice.

So my question is does anybody here have one (or the single G650 GS) and want to comment on likes and dislikes about these bikes.

Note, this bike will be use only for road use, no off road, (I would prefer to take the KLR there since it will be cheaper to fix in case I drop it). I am 5'7' 30' inseam, 180 lbs, and 32 years old (if it matters)

Thanks for your input.

Damasovi

SR1 12-13-2008 08:04 PM

Wrong forum (this will be sent to Beasts) but I have ridden the 800 and liked it very much. If I didn't already have a 1200, I would consider it. Even though I didn't ride the 650, I wouldn't really consider it because of the downgraded specs. I'm the same size as you, btw.

damasovi 12-13-2008 08:18 PM

OK beast? but it is a GS? but who cares if that is were it should go then no problem and thanks for the info.

Damasovi

huckleberry 12-13-2008 09:18 PM

I have a 650 twin and enjoy it very much! I do ride it off road and think it will need stiffer front springs for me--215#---wish it had a lower 1st gear for off roadalso wish it had a bit more ground clearance for off road other wise i think it is a good compromise---if you only going to ride on road you might try to find something with more wind protection and a bigger seat--but if you feel comfy---HAVE FUN!!!!

raider 12-14-2008 05:32 AM

Personally, I reckon the 650 twin will make a great touring bike for those of us whose touring involves highway, backroad, and occasional gravel. Ignore the 800, and think of it as a medium-capacity, road-biased, twin-cylinder tourer that can handle any road your travels happen to come across - just like a Wee. It stacks up pretty well in that company, only the small fuel tank and windshield counting against it in my books (against the Wee). Similar bikes? Versys, Multistrada, Pegaso, Transalp, Wee, Vee. None of those are sales disasters...

The 800 buys you extra dirt ability - if you're really considering buying the 800GS purely because it's more powerful than the 650, then you're on a line of logic that ends with a Hayabusa in the drive and a WTF? look on your face.

canuck479 12-14-2008 06:48 AM

the new F650 GS twin I think is an excellent ride it is down on power from the 800 but I doubt you would notice. I found it to be more comfortable that the 800 and I agree unless you were planing to go off road the extra ground clearance of the 800 would be the only advantage. Personnally as a road bike the tubeless cast wheels of the 650 would be a huge plus in my book and dont let that single disc in the front fool you this thing stops quick. Overall I guess I would say the 650 is and excellent bike for what you are looking for. I kind of compare the new 650 and the new 800 as the old F650 single and the Dakar once lower and more street oriented and the other more dirt oriented both excellent. I am usually not keen on new bikes but the new twins from BMW have been the least troublesome of any of the new bikes from BMW. ie no teething problems.

PS the new motor is smooth as silk compared to the only single 650.

OmegaRunner 12-14-2008 09:40 AM

I have been interested in the 650 as well. I too am a little short for the 800...5'6", 30" inseam, 165 lbs. I would not be taking it off road, but I want more confidence to travel gravel than I currently have. My biggest concern with the 650 is how it would handle traveling two-up with my wife and loaded bags on the back. Together we weigh about 280 lbs. Does anyone have any experience two-up on the 650?

huckleberry 12-14-2008 09:50 AM

i've done a 1/2 days ride with my daughter on the back and 50 or 60 pounds in the givi top case ahd thought the bike rode(on pavement) close to the same as if she wasn't there! no power problems or wierd handling. I also have been out with camera gear and camping gear in soft bags and was thourly pleased with power and handling,even on gravel roads and trails ( 2 track) have prolly 6 or 700 miles like this.

damasovi 12-14-2008 10:34 AM

thanks guys for all the info.

One note I have not mention, to me a power full bike is the KLR 650, I have only driven the DL650 as the most powerfull bike, so everybody that mention this bike as not as power full as the 800 well I would not know the diference.

And 2 up? it is nice to know it can do it.

Damasovi

John Ashman 12-14-2008 11:25 AM

If you're looking for a Super Motard type bike for fun antics in town, then sure. For pure street/highway use, though, I'd buy a Sprint 1050 or F800ST or something along those lines for more comfort, better highway capability. Maybe even a Versys or DL.

I did notice that BMW Mexico is having a special on the 650GS and other models. Are you getting a price on one? 128K pesos isn't bad, about the same price as US if it includes the tax. Of course, the F800ST is only 2K pesos more according the website.

alonzo 12-14-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damasovi
HI,

The other weekend I went to the bike show in Long Beach CA and got on the new twin F650 GS, and I really what I had there, everything was like "custom made" for me.

So I was looking at the price tag and the spec sheet and I like what I see, it is not out of my possibilities and the power looks more than good. Now I have a KLR 650 with all it's 34 HP so the 71 HP (claim by BMW) will be more than twice.

So my question is does anybody here have one (or the single G650 GS) and want to comment on likes and dislikes about these bikes.

Note, this bike will be use only for road use, no off road, (I would prefer to take the KLR there since it will be cheaper to fix in case I drop it). I am 5'7' 30' inseam, 180 lbs, and 32 years old (if it matters)

Thanks for your input.

Damasovi

If you're not going technical then the 650GS should be fine. I traded a F800ST in on my F650GS and I'm lovin' it. I put TKC80's on it and it handles the back roads pretty much as well as my DR650 and handles the tar much better. To me, the power is just fine and it handles the twisties nicely too. Every time I take it out I've got such a big grin on my face I can barely get my helmet on.

-- alonzo

Night_Wolf 12-15-2008 07:05 AM

If the Wee has enough power to travel 2 up then the F650GS twin should be fine. Many say the Wee isn't a good bike for 2up travel, while my buddy has ridden thousands of miles while 2up with his lovely lady & they weigh more than you & your lady

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aloysius
I have been interested in the 650 as well. I too am a little short for the 800...5'6", 30" inseam, 165 lbs. I would not be taking it off road, but I want more confidence to travel gravel than I currently have. My biggest concern with the 650 is how it would handle traveling two-up with my wife and loaded bags on the back. Together we weigh about 280 lbs. Does anyone have any experience two-up on the 650?

John Ashman 12-15-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alonzo
If you're not going technical then the 650GS should be fine. I traded a F800ST in on my F650GS and I'm lovin' it. I put TKC80's on it and it handles the back roads pretty much as well as my DR650 and handles the tar much better. To me, the power is just fine and it handles the twisties nicely too. Every time I take it out I've got such a big grin on my face I can barely get my helmet on.

-- alonzo

How did you think of the long term comfort (say 2+ hours) on the ST vs the GS?

damasovi 12-15-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
If the Wee has enough power to travel 2 up then the F650GS twin should be fine. Many say the Wee isn't a good bike for 2up travel, while my buddy has ridden thousands of miles while 2up with his lovely lady & they weigh more than you & your lady

Yes I have read this also how ever my friend has one and has done a couple of trips with his wife and they are maybe 350 lbs together or more since they are both tall people (and he is not skinnie) so the power is ok, he did not complain and he does not like to go 60 mph so I guess it was ok.
I have found out that people that complain about the wee not having enough power 2 up are people that are ridding Super Sport bikes and need the 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

I do 2 up on the KLR and it is fine for us but then again we just go for a Sunday ride every other month so we are never in a rush.

Damasovi

rickf 12-15-2008 01:35 PM

Isn't the '650 twin' really a 800?
(That's what the BMW site says)

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:17 AM.