ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   ATGATT takes the fun out of riding? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419940)

whitetiger7654 01-01-2009 04:10 PM

ATGATT takes the fun out of riding?

I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?

ikonoklass 01-01-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?

As long as my intent is to "go for a ride," it doesn't bother me, but it's probably the reason I don't commute to work by motorcycle. The time it takes to get dressed and undressed is almost as long as the commute.

Andrejs2112 01-01-2009 04:52 PM

Road rash takes the fun out of riding. :D

whitetiger7654 01-01-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrejs2112

I completely agree, so does broken bones and such. Which is why I don't do it. But as ikono mentioned at first I always rode to work and school. But now getting geared up takes so much time it's much quicker just to drive.

tedder 01-01-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Well said.

The gear doesn't bother me- it's part of the riding experience.

bwringer 01-01-2009 07:04 PM

Get better gear if it bugs you. One of the big upsides to drinking the Aerostich Kool-Aid is that you can get in and out of the suit in about 3.2 seconds. If you can afford one, they're said to be the bee's knees for commuters.

I dunno -- I don't really think about it. Some mornings I don't feel like showering or brushing my teeth, but it's sort of just automatic and part of what you have to do to be a functioning human. Same for gearing up.

I find that I'm a lot more comfortable in proper gear, so it's well worth it even for short trips. A lot of the "biker bros" around here make cracks about my helmet and gear, but they tend to shut up when I happily mention I just rode 300 miles before lunch in complete comfort -- you simply can't do that in a black t-shirt and do-rag.

I also find that the few seconds it takes to put on the gear are also useful for getting into the proper attentive/paranoid/hyper-alert state of mind you need on a bike. When the helmet slides over my head, something wakes up in my brain.

You know the scene in every adventure movie when they're gearing up to kick ass? Strapping on knives, loading shotguns, slinging grenades, click, clack, ka-chunk? Same deal with putting on your riding armor -- you're gearing up to kick ass and take names... :wink:

Lochlyn_Deckard 01-01-2009 07:05 PM

On a nasty hot humid day, I definitely feel like this. It can be a huge PITA sometimes. But the alternative is not something I consider. ATGATT or I don't ride.

Ever see something you want to photograph along the road, something that is time sensitive, like you better take the pic in the next 30 seconds or you don't get it? Yeah, good luck with that. ATGATT (including a non flip-up full face helmet) is not conducive to spontaneous photography. A DSLR will not fit up to me eye no matter how hard I try! :lol3

DAKEZ 01-01-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

+ 1000 as do concussions. What is the big deal about putting on gear?

OP, You should sell your bikes cheap... :lol3

OLDNX 01-01-2009 07:28 PM

Its worth the time to gear up. If I'm lazy. I still wear helmet, jacket, overpants, gloves and will forget the boots. Just running around town or going to work{short distance} is when Murphy is waiting for you to drop your guard. Getting dressed helps clear my mind and prepare for the battle with the boxes. I don't remember who I stole this quoit from but I remember it every time I ride . If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed by it. That much is sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be so vigilant and careful to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first:evil

hugerider 01-01-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

No.

Harrington 01-01-2009 07:37 PM

My bike is tucked in the back of the garage. It takes me probably 5 minutes to get the bike out and gear up. It takes the same to put it all away. For that reason I don't just ride down to the local store.

johnnyadventurepants 01-01-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Yep, when the weather is nice, I don't gear up for the 2.5 mile ride to work (yes I know I could crash in that 2.5 miles, but that's a risk I am willing to take). When it is really cold, I want to ride to work, but it takes too long to get my insulated gear on, so I just cage it. I feel a lot more comfortable going ATGATT, but I will go without it sometime with no worries.

CruisnGrrl 01-01-2009 08:09 PM

How long does it take to put on pants, a jacket, gloves and a brain bucket?

here buckets are the law so i'm wearing one anyways, takes me slightly longer than doing up a seat belt to put mine on.

pants and jacket slip on

gotta wear footwear (i like having toes) so I may as well wear boots that are good for motorcycling.

So really is less than 5 minutes out of your day that much? You can do that while the bike warms up. and if gearing up takes more than 5 minutes who dresses you in the morning?

CopaMundial 01-01-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyadventurepants
Yep, when the weather is nice, I don't gear up for the 2.5 mile ride to work (yes I know I could crash in that 2.5 miles, but that's a risk I am willing to take). When it is really cold, I want to ride to work, but it takes too long to get my insulated gear on, so I just cage it. I feel a lot more comfortable going ATGATT, but I will go without it sometime with no worries.

So then that's more like ATGSOTT... all the gear some of the time.

fung 01-01-2009 08:17 PM

I used to never wear gear. I just feel naked with out now. I figure i have a lot more riding to do. My chances of getting back up are a hell of a lot better with the gear.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:29 AM.