ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Pro's and Con's to Airhead Aux fuel tanks? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425972)

jwrover 01-22-2009 06:48 AM

Pro's and Con's to Airhead Aux fuel tanks?

Airhead Gurus!

Could someone enlighten me on the pro's and con's of the Auxiliary Fuel Tank system for an R90/6.

I need more range than my stock 16L (small) tank to be comfortable on the haul from CO to TN this summer. I've always fancied the look of the aux tanks.

What are the problems with them?
What are the bennefits to them?

Thanks

jwrover

crazydrummerdude 01-22-2009 08:22 AM

What about a large tank?

elmoreman 01-22-2009 08:53 AM

I dont know about those tanks specifically, but I will say its nice to have a little longer range, for sure. But introducing another system means that there is one (or two) more things to go wrong. I think they are kinda neat in a "huh..look at that" kind of way, but I vote for a larger tank.

Or...a couple of MSR bottles in the panniers. That's what I did in Mexico and the TAT this summer, and I only tapped into them once, and not for my bike.

Stopping at gas stations on a cross country motorcycle trip is one of the best ways to meet locals and get a flavor for the place. And as we all know, an sweet airhead (bike, that is) starts plenty of conversations around the gas pumps :thumb

bmwblake 01-22-2009 09:25 AM

pros - you can stop somewhere to take a break that isn't a gas station, you don't have to worry about gas stations closing when you're on back roads.

cons - uses luggage space, more weight to deal with, more complex system.

jwrover 01-22-2009 10:10 AM

I think I'm gonna go for the Tank!

Yah,

I've been looking into the plumbing and vapor lock issues of the aux tanks. The ones I've been looking at are the paired small cans that mold into the side ofthe bike. It appears that there are some issues with heat and fuel flow (overflow) problems.

For the price I can probably pick up a touring tank or a police tank and accomplish a larger capacity and farther range.

jwrover

bgoodsoil 01-22-2009 10:54 AM

I am NOT an airhead guru...but here's my 2c anyways

Here's what I put on my Harley to get some more range:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1226257174

It's a 2 gallon tank from tourtank.com

I put an on/off valve at the tank and Tee'd it in to my fuel line. I can run off the main tank, the aux tank or both. Like Elmoreman said--it will draw a lot of attention. People stopped me all the time and asked me if I had beer in it. Heck, I got pulled over by a cop for speeding one time and he asked me the same thing. "Why, yes officer, in fact it is beer. I run a hose over my shoulder so I can drink 100 degree Budweiser while I'm going down the road."

You shouldn't have any vapor lock issues--the system will work fine. The main problem is the ones that bmwblake mentioned. It takes up luggage space. I didn't have any issues with a 'more complicated system'. I got quick disconnects that seal when separated but never bothered to put them on. I think it weighs 4 or 5 pounds, so it adds a little weight but not a ton.

after some experience with an aux tank I'd say:

pros: cool factor, may be cheaper than a new tank

cons: loss of luggage space

I loved how folks would come up and ask me about it. The 2 gallon tank is $120 so maybe it'd save you some money. If money is not an issue a larger tank is certainly more practical.

I took a road trip from Alaska to Georgia with a 3.6 gallon tank. 16L is fine in the US. I'd get a 1 gallon Jerry Jug and strap it on some place. No sense buying more junk if you're not planning on taking long road trips on a regular basis. Heck, even if you are. Mega tanks aren't necessary. Hmm, so why do I have an 11.3 gallon HPN tank on my bike right now.....

bmwblake 01-22-2009 11:39 AM

if you decide you want a larger fuel cell, i have a 4 gallon summit that i'd sell.

kadesean 01-22-2009 01:03 PM

Those aux tanks that go where the side covers go are a bit of a plumbing headache. They only hold about 1 liter each. It's a lot of pain for 20 miles of range. There should be plenty of 6.1 gallon OEM tanks available. Check all the usual used airhead parts suppliers.

wirewrkr 01-22-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadesean
Those aux tanks that go where the side covers go are a bit of a plumbing headache. They only hold about 1 liter each. It's a lot of pain for 20 miles of range. There should be plenty of 6.1 gallon OEM tanks available. Check all the usual used airhead parts suppliers.

What he said,
plus the fact that the Luftmeister sets are bringing BIG bucks, Like HUNDREDS of dollars. Screw that, the 6 gallon is the way to go. Just be very careful of rust-out. The area behind the knee pads is famous for developing rust issues due to the trapped moisture between the tank and pad. I've seen many an original beauty leak there. Hard to know unless you peel back the pads.
Good hunting.
Robert

Hawk Medicine 01-22-2009 09:16 PM

Yeah...

Probably the first thing to do would be to get a /6 large tank and have it painted to match your bike. I've had and have both the large tank as well as the "Sport" tank and after running one for a decade or so, I know very well what a hassel the smaller tanks can be. Especially when your riding with other guys and have to stop all the time for fuel.

OTOH, with either tank you'll have to fill it up and stopping every hundred or hundred-fifty miles or so isnt the worst idea in the world.

Look around on IBMR or Ebay for a used tank or contact some of the used parts dealers. A shitty tank might cost you $150 but you can occasionally buy a NOS tank for $200 to $250. (Thats how much I paid for mine.) Just make sure that the bottoms solid and it isnt dented up. Around here, having the dents pulled out of an otherwise good tank costs as much as an undented tank costs!

PS: The Lufty saddle tanks currently bring $400 in mice/mint shape. Thats a lot of money to carry a little extra fuel but then again, how much would you pay for a gallon of gas if youre stuck at night, in 40 degree weather in the Adirondack Mtns, with no gas, during a rainstorm in October? Been there and woulda paid whatever you asked per gal! Loll!! If youre into Bling those tanks are BMW geek-magnets and they'll only go up in price. If you like the way they look (I do.) and dont mind the plumbing hassel, they might not be a bad investment.

crazydrummerdude 01-23-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymindsok
OTOH, with either tank you'll have to fill up and stopping every hundred or hundred-fifty miles or so isnt the worst idea in the world

I get about 160 on the small tank, and 210 on the large tank. I have both large and small tanks for both my R75 and R90.

Quote:

The Lufty saddle tanks currently bring $400 in mice/mint shape.
:baldy I had a lead on some, but I think I let them slip away.

ducsingle 01-23-2009 10:45 AM

Buy a banged up big /6 tank for your trip.

Note the R90S - /7 tank will not fit with your /6 seat.

squish 01-23-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymindsok
PS: The Lufty saddle tanks currently bring $400 in mice/mint shape. Thats a lot of money to carry a little extra fuel but then again, how much would you pay for a gallon of gas if youre stuck at night, in 40 degree weather in the Adirondack Mtns, with no gas, during a rainstorm in October? Been there and woulda paid whatever you asked per gal! Loll!! If youre into Bling those tanks are BMW geek-magnets and they'll only go up in price. If you like the way they look (I do.) and dont mind the plumbing hassel, they might not be a bad investment.

Really!?!?!?
Cool. Then I have something "super special".
I have the LAST, as in final Lufty side tank sold.
I bought it from Matt well after he had shuttered luftmeister and opened South Bay Triumph.

I only have one tank (I only could use one and he only had one left I was putting it on a R80st)

If someone's looking for this tank you can ping me and we can talk.

I never mounted it. Too much a hassle. I just bought a bigger tank for my ST.

Hawk Medicine 01-23-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squish
Really!?!?!?
Cool. Then I have something "super special".
I have the LAST, as in final Lufty side tank sold.
I bought it from Matt well after he had shuttered luftmeister and opened South Bay Triumph.

I only have one tank (I only could use one and he only had one left I was putting it on a R80st)

If someone's looking for this tank you can ping me and we can talk.

I never mounted it. Too much a hassle. I just bought a bigger tank for my ST.

Hey,

They come in PAIRS. Theyre going to $400 per pair. Not $200 each.

If you find a buyer for a single Lufty tank I'd be interested in how much you get for it. Curiosity I guess... but someone will probably give you something for it.

nick_rhinocycles 01-11-2010 11:33 PM

Ok a little late here but nonetheless...

I have crossed the country a few times, been to Alaska and back, ridden Death Valley, and I have to say...

Within reason you don't need a gigantic tank! I have an 11 Gallon Ascerbis on my Airhead GS. My stock tank on my R1100GS worked just fine as long as you pay attention to your range and don't go crazy on the throttle.

Fact is, those *few* trips when you actually NEED that extra 2 gallons? A small gas can strapped to the bike (well) is plenty.

I end up riding around with 60lbs of fuel when I don't really need it!

but it looks cool, now don't it?

However, if I was riding an XR600 or something with a 2 gallon stock tank, then YES upgrade to larger for sure.
300 mile range is HUGE. Oh, and NON of your friends will have that much range, so...
--Nick

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:24 PM.